Tax returns for pensioners

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Tax returns for pensioners

Postby sunkissed » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:32 pm

Friends of ours living over here 3 years near Gaucin ( both over 65 and have residency and small property) receive their state pension paid into their Spanish bank account. They also have a very small private pension with tax deducted at source in the UK.

Do they need to complete an annual tax return in Spain? I assume they do, even though their annual earning are low, to be fiscally resident, but I'm not a tax expert and others expats have told them differently.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:54 pm

I would say that they should present a negative return mainly in order that they qualify for a certificate of fiscal residency to alleviate capital gains tax liability if and when they sell.

Sid is the expert. I'm sure he will provide you with chapter and verse when he sees your post.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:07 am

The rules on who should declare are a little ambiguous but a family income of more than 10000 euros must be declared. In some cases the figure can be as low as 1000 euros.

All their income should be liable for tax in Spain. The private pension should not be taxed in the UK unless it is a government pension. It is easy to get it paid free of UK tax if the correct forms are submitted to both the UK and Spanish tax authorities.

For last year the basic UK pension for a couple was in excess of 10000 euros so most pensioners would have needed to make a declaration.

Currently the allowances against tax in Spain for a pensioner couple total just under 13000 euros so no tax would be due unless there was additional income.

So, to answer the original question, yes they should make a tax declaration in Spain and, as Beachcomber pointed out, that makes it easier to prove tax residency and get the considerable benefits with regard to CGT and IHT.

Sid

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:08 am

I understood that there was no CGT on your home property provided that you had lived in it for three years and were over 65, with the qualification of residency of course.

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:21 am

Many thanks for info which is what I'd assumed and didn't know about the limits.

I would assume being fiscally resident would be important in the event of one partner dying too.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:50 am

We pay an accountant €40 a year to submit our joint "nil" tax returns; he does it online while we are in the office , we consider that to be money well spent, also keeps us legally Tax Resident.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:32 am

Yes, Country Boy, you are right. Just having a certificate of registration on the foreigners register does not prove tax residency. You need to apply to AEAT for a certificate of fiscal domicile for which a tax return (even a negative one) is usually necessary.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 am

country boy wrote:I understood that there was no CGT on your home property provided that you had lived in it for three years and were over 65, with the qualification of residency of course.
That's true. My comments about the benefits was general rather than specific to this couple.

Sid

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:01 pm

I've never thought to ask this question as my income is always the same, month on month. It might be useful to know, however, if the Spanish fiscal year is the same as in the UK i.e. April to April?
Life is 'ard den you die!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:48 pm

It's Jan1st to Jan, Wagonropes.

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:37 pm

Thanks Anis. That makes sense. How on earth did the UK make the tax year
start and end in April :?

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:32 pm

We're in a similar position to other pensioners - income less than allowances here. We didn't submit a return, but reading this, I think we ought to. But I know the annual return has to be in by end of June, or you have to pay a fine. Are you still fined if you make a late return if you don't owe any tax?
AlisonB

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:02 pm

Don't worry about it - just do it next year.

Sid

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Yep, that's what we did.

We had been here 4 years before we realized we should be registered so we just did it the next year. There were no problems. Neither the UK Pensions Office nor the Spanish asked why we had not done it before.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:56 pm

Unless you happen to get an inspection there will be no problem.

There are seven hundred tax inspectors in the whole of Andalucía and if you take into account the millions of tax payers the chances of coming to their attention is pretty remote.