Another crass comment on the radio today!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
julian
Andalucia Guru

resentment

Postby julian » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:25 pm

in the last 20 years here not once have I experienced any resentment from the spanish,neither on the coast nor inland but maybe it´s because from day one I made the effort to learn the language, respect the spanish way of life and traditions and not try to turn Spain into england in the sun.

laswalkirias
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby laswalkirias » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:45 pm

Thanks tjtops
Paula youre missing the point!!!
Julian no amount of respect will protect you from some stupid young man fuelled up by anti-british racism
Dying to move to spain

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:53 pm

Whilst applauding julian's attitude and way of life, sadly tjtops has a very valid point. It is not just what you do that matters, it is others. For example, at the recent Colmenar feria, some brain-dead young Brits who live in Benamargosa were taunting the local young Spaniards, with such intellectual comments as "all Spics are ugly" and "Spaniards smell". My OH's granddaughter was nearby, obviously British, but horrified at what was being said and done, this being a long way from her attitude as she loves inland Andalucia. This was of course not obvious to the locals, one of whom suddenly came up to her and head-butted her in the face!
Colmenar does have a bad reputation for the relations between its groups of mostly young, with my (Spanish) neighbour saying that to a Colmenar lad, "a feria without blood is not a feria!", and that in precvious years there have been serious stabbings and trouble. Needless to say, the Guardia Civil are conspicuous by their absence, knowing that the locals outnumber the incomers, so it is less likely that a non-Spaniard would be knifed...
It is not unkown for the local lads in Triana to yell out "Guiri" as one drives by, but the quick response of "Pajero" usually gets them grinning, and in any case it is usually drivers of Brit-reg cars that get the treatment, lessening my sympathy!
The "river of blood" forecast by Enoch Powell never happened, thankfully, but IMHO only because economic conditions lifted quickly at that time, lessening the fears of job losses to immigrants. There are many countries now poised on the brink of civil unrest because of disastrous economies, and in every case "non-locals" are frequently targets for the understandable anger of the crowds.
It could happen here.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:01 pm

I've never witnessed anything like that on the coast where we live. I've seen a few drunken brits having a fight with each other during the summer months. I've not seen any Spanish start on foreigners in any way or vice versa.

julian
Andalucia Guru

insult

Postby julian » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:11 pm

you cannot translate every word directly and expect it to mean the same, shouting pajero at a spaniard makes no sense as a spaniard would never say pajero to insult anyone, there are plenty of words the spanish could and would use to insult someone, but you´ll never hear them shout pajero as an insult, the translation is insulting in english, but not in spanish, no wonder it gets them grinning. :)

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:53 pm

Maybe to clarify the issue you'd prefer them (the Spanish) to spit on your wife and baby, and throw lighted fag ends into the baby's push-chair (as happened to some very good friends of mine here....NOT young louts, but a married couple whose only 'crime' was to walk home to their apartment)...I, too make the effort to integrate (and thoroughly enjoy it) but I'm afraid the racism is there at every level...from the Town Hall down....and our only option is to put up or shut up!
And FTR, I totally agree......it IS the behaviour of some which taints the lives of others.....
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:06 pm

ahem...I know I'm thick but....why on earth can't I say f*a*g* ends??? Has PC gone mad on here too??? :roll:

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:38 pm

tg i thought you were trying to write dog

anyway,a joke will always happen straight after a disaster,you laugh or you ignore it,same with racist jokes,if a spaniard wants to make a joke out of the brits so be it,it wont bother me

unfortunatly i cant say here what i think as reguards to racism,just to say its kind of one sided these days

old school
jayne countys most famous song,google it

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:29 am

the translation is insulting in english, but not in spanish, no wonder it gets them grinning.
Am I missing something here? Surely that was Pete's point??? :wink:

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:02 pm

Does Jim Davidson live in Spain then?? :x

Hope he doesn't live near me.

Can't stand the bloke and have never found him the slightest bit amusing.

I must say, all your descriptions of racism in Spain bear no resemblance to anything I've seen herein the sticks (although there is some). I've never seen any violence. Maybe it's because I live in a tiny village.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:16 am

Saw him once in the Middle East - he went down like a deflated balloon :oops:
Saw him another time in Norfolk, raising huge loads of money, voluntarily, for lifeboat friends of mine, and he was pretty good, funny and not particularly smutty, but at ease with himself and comfortable.

BAS
Andalucia.com Amigo

What a load of ****

Postby BAS » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:31 pm

As I see it, I have lived in Spain both on the coast and now in the hills for over 10 years, I remember the days when I waited an hour to get a bag cement from the builers yard waiting for the locals to get served first, not now! after giving the fork lift truck driver a bit of effin scouse nouse, he serves me as soon as soon as possible to get me out of the yard, I dont make any apologies for not speaking fluent Spanish and for being English,
(they should come to the UK and see what we have to put up with, only our imigrants want to to kill us all.) Without the massive influx of imigrants to Andalucia, it would still be one big olive grove with most of the locals on there bikes to become immigrants elswhere to make a living.
Advise, give as good as you get, and more if required, dont take any sh12
from anyone and you will be suprised at how musch more repect you will get and you life in Spain will improve. As a scouser I've had a cross to bear all my life, toughens you up a bit though, anybody who takes offence at Jim Davidson or like needs to grow up and get a life.
BAS.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:50 pm

well said bas
jayne countys most famous song,google it

ICCSL
Andalucia.com Amigo

Racism

Postby ICCSL » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:14 am

The expression "sticks & stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me" springs to mind.

The latest bits of news that have come my way about what is happening in the UK include pubs having to take down signs in one county "because they influence people to drink and drive" and around 100 Arab financed schools teaching children to "kill the infidel".

On the one hand people who go to pubs have to be nannied do they or are they adults who have freedom of choice?

On the other hand whilst being nannied in terms of the consumption of alcohol or lack of it, where is the protection that should be in place to stop children being taught to kill us all?

The world, in my view has gone completely mad. The political correctness issue is insane because allegedly we are all supposed to have freedom of speech. If there is no freedom of speech how soon will we be complaining about people being sent to prison for cracking a joke, but more to the point will anyone in the UK have the b***s to stand united and put and end to this lunacy?
Tina

julian
Andalucia Guru

mad

Postby julian » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:19 am

"The world, in my view has gone completely mad"... at last I seem to agree with someone here ! stop the world, I want to get off !!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:12 am

Swearing to Brits and the Spanish is completely different. One of my friends habitually yells "C-br-n" at her husband and they are in a happy, secure marriage that's lasted over 20 years. He just laughs. Lots of my Spanish friends use what I might regard as swear words as affectionate terms of endearment. Weird. Also on first arriving in the village the local children took great pains to teach me all the slag words for bits of the body used for reproduction! They thought it hilarious!

julian
Andalucia Guru

swearing

Postby julian » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:17 am

the differences are quite shocking at first, one of the least used swear words in english ( c... ) is used every other word here in spanish , even on national tv at children´s viewing hours !!!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:34 am

..they do similar in Venezuela, where Spanish is spoken.
When I first heard them in a bar, shouting, " Oi, fatty or fatso !" and " Oi, Blackman ! or Blackie ! " or " Thin man ! " we were quite shocked. There were much ruder ones, but I won't write them here. :lol:
We asked one of our friends about it and he laughed and said, no - it was a term of endearment - no different to saying " Oi, blondie ! " and they were good friends with the folks they were shouting at.
They thought our polite custom as strange as we thought theirs :lol: