Summer and Winter wardrobe

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.

Each year I store away my Summer/winer clothes

I keep all my clothes together, but well organised
48%
I have a huge walk in wardrobe with room for everything
13%
My wardrobe is like a jumble sale, all in a muddle
35%
Ive never heard of such a wierd custom
4%

Total votes: 23

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Summer and Winter wardrobe

Postby Kathy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:05 pm

Years ago on a night out one girl didnt turn up because she was "Guardando la ropa de verano". At the time I thought it was a excuse.

I never realized until then that it was such a big thing at the end of each season to store away your winter or summer clothes until the next year. A friend of mine said recently that she was excited to have a look into her winter wardrobe, which had been carefully stored away all summer.

Its a serious business and in Spain stories are swapped on the best way to store your summer/winter collection. A lady in Sotogrande once proudly showed me her walk-in closet, which was so big, she dint have to "guardar la ropa de invierno/verano" however she did have allocated sections for the seasons.

Any thoughts / experiences on this topic?
Last edited by Kathy on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:20 pm

Seems like other people have an awful lot more clothes than me ..... I can fit my summer 'wardrobe' and winter 'wardrobe' in one side of our double built in cupboard :oops: .

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:34 pm

Depends a lot on where you live. Summer and winter wear are not that different, for most of us in Spain? Yet the spanish do bundle up a lot more in winter than we do from what I have seen. So they may need to store the off season because of spatial constraints. Here in Canada you have three ( at least) different wardrobes. Summer ( very light) Fall and spring (heavy jumpers, long pants , coats and such) and then winter (woolies, long johns, heavy coats , snow boots ets) . What makes it easier here is that closets are built in to all houses and flats. Still with four wardrobes a lot of people still store their clothes at the end of a season just to keep dust etc off them. Our home here has walk in ,wall to wall closets ,in the entranceway and bedrooms so storage is not a problem.

Fred

Angie P
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Angie P » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:43 pm

My 'not-in-season' clothes are kept vacuum packed and put in the storage area under our bed.. Must admit, I like getting out the seasons clothes again and remembering what I have!
I dont have vast amounts of clothes, but I do like the not-in-use ones to be out of sight!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:08 pm

well,i take up a double wardrobe and another half in the spare room,shoes,boots and trainers litter the floor of my wardrobe and i have to rummage about trying to find the missing shoe :roll:
I have all of my clothes together,winter and summer,except for the diy clothes,they are kept in a carrier bag.

kexon
Resident

Summer and Winter Wardrobe

Postby kexon » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:14 pm

My summer and winter wardrobe are vastly different as we are in seville province!!I dont have a vast amount of storage space at the moment as we are still renovating the house, but I do like to keep it organised.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:05 am

I have a distinct summer and winter wardrobe. Each are packed away carefully at the end of each season and stored under the beds. I currently have two double wardrobes full of clothes and have had to put all my jackets and suits in my daughters wardrobe as she is living on the Costa Blanca at the moment. Lord knows where I am going to put my jackets etc when she comes back :shock:

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:55 am

I have two-thirds of a 6-door wardrobe in our main bedroom for clothes and shoes (shoes hanging up in shoe organisers, with boots on the floor of the wardrobe), sweaters on the shelves above and T-shirts and underwear in the drawers below) plus overflow space in the spare room wardrobes. I don't really store away out of season clothes like I did in the UK as the weather here can be so changeable I don't know if I will want something to hand quickly, and even in the winter tend to wear light clothes in the daytime and pile on the layers once the sun has gone down. I do hang winter and summer clothes separately in the wardrobe and even separate them by colour, how **** retentive is that?

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:49 am

When we lived close to Antequera we used our warmer winter clothes, now we are in Sevilla province the winter clothes do not need to be so thick :D We have to keep the heavy coats though for traveling back to the UK. Last winter here was very mild, so it was just a light fleece :D

I need another wardrobe, all my clothes are squashed into one side- hubby has plenty of room in his, he needs to share. Can´t put the clothes under the bed in boxes, my sewing stuff is there already :lol:

samantha
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samantha » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:18 pm

Don´t have room for summer and winter together so i seperate and put the ´other´ seasons stuff away. Not cos im organised, cos of lack of space and am inclined to turning my wardobe into a messy jumble sale!! In winter i wear coats, boots and heavy sweaters. In summer, jeans and T shirts.
Please support Pepi´s Dog Refuge
www.pepisdogrefuge.com

samantha
Andalucia.com Amigo

while we are talking about clothes......

Postby samantha » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:23 pm

While we are talking about clothes, if your having a sort out and find clothes that you no longer wear, please don´t throw them out, as we collect clothes to sell at out Pepís Refuge annual fashion show (this year it was held at Fuente de Piedra, in May) If you have unwanted clothes please drop off at our market stall at Saydo Park on wednesday or pm me for a collection
cheers
:)
Please support Pepi´s Dog Refuge
www.pepisdogrefuge.com

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:42 pm

all cloths kept together in 4 double robes.my parteners takes up half a robe.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:15 pm

Summer and winter wear are not that different, for most of us in Spain?
ahem....I think they jolly well are!!! When you're scraping ice off your windscreen of a morning, you know it's winter!!! And in the summer, even jeans are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too hot!!!
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full