It's Just About Impossible.!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

It's Just About Impossible.!

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:35 am

In my opinion it really is 'just about impossible', to move to Spain and not makes some mistakes.

No matter how much 'homework' you do, somewhere along the line everyone will make a mistake, some costly, some just irritating.
Whether it is your choice of place to live, or the wrong type of house, buying a car, importing a car, getting your kids into school, sorting out medical insurance or joining the system, setting up the wrong type of mobile phone or land-line, applying for licences, opening a business....Oh Dear the list is endless...
I've made so many mistakes since we first moved to Spain , nearly 20 years ago, at one point I could have papered my lounge with the paperwork telling me I'd been fined or had done something wrong. :(

Well did it put me off...YES of course it did...Some days I was ready to throw everything into my car, including the Missus and Rasta the dog, and drive off into the sunset...
But did I ever do that ?...No, the next day I would feel fine again...what a difference a day makes.!

So I still plod on ...still making mistakes, but that's life , isn't it?

I've never met an expat in Spain, all nationalities included, who haven't got a disaster story to tell, maybe not life changing ,but still extremely upsetting and annoying.

What I would like to know is...Do the local Spanish people go through life having similar experiences, or is it that because of language problems, and mis-understandings etc., it's just expats who suffer ?
Surely all the members of this forum have had at least a few mishaps, or have some of you sailed through everything without any hitches.?
Thank God for forums like A com, at least you can read about some of the problems and be reasonably fore-warned, when we first arrived we only had one English speaking newspaper and the usual 'barrack room lawyers' to rely on..
Still putting up with all of the 'hassle' is character building ..Isn't it ? :wink:

Regards,
Gordon

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Re: It's Just About Impossible.!

Postby princess peach » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:05 pm

Do the local Spanish people go through life having similar experiences, or is it that because of language problems, and mis-understandings etc., it's just expats who suffer ?
I have a few spanish friends who speak good english,they also say how hard it is to get anything done in this country,and how sometimes even they do not understand the way things work here.
It really does make me feel soooo much better knowing that it isnt just us ex pats that struggle,the spanish locals do too.

I know that after 5 years of living here,although i do still worry about unexpected bills that come thru,or difficulties that arise here,i am far less stressed out about things like that than i was when i first arrived.
If spain has taught me anything its be patient,smile,laugh at yourself and your mistakes and if the locals struggle,its enevitable i will!
It will all be sorted out eventually,someone will always help you out. :D

Rookiekookie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rookiekookie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:44 pm

I must admit that when a Spanish friend told me about the terrible problems he was having with Telefonica - I howled :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is always better with a glass of wine in your hand - and a few bottles in the wine rack !!!

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:31 pm

Oh yes I believe that it is a universal problem and not confined to the expats, I do share in your mirth though :wink:

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:16 am

i think the spanish accept it more as they know its basically a turd world country and thats what they were brought up with and many have got rich out of gullible expats and can use that excuse

the only spanish i know that are ok are the ones who have lived outside of spain and realise the difference

old i know but take away the sun,they would have nothing and still be on donkeys
jayne countys most famous song,google it

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:10 am

I do sincerely hope that your sticky, frog tongue is firmly curled and attached to your throat when you say this, Frog :D ( frogs can't put their tongues in their cheeks ! anatomically impossible ! ) :D :D