Crime Free Places in Spain.? ..No Chance

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Crime Free Places in Spain.? ..No Chance

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:45 pm

katy wrote:....Whichever country people live in there are sinkholes where these things happen.
It doesn't have to be a sinkhole - I was attacked in UK in my car at traffic lights in a very quiet middleclass suburb where I had lived for many years. My attacker had a penknife and was after cash (so probably drug fuelled), but I managed to get away unharmed and un-robbed. Twenty minutes later the police finally turned up, but surprise, the attacker was long gone !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:53 pm

Driving in an unlocked car is the same as leaving the car unlocked when unattended or leaving home without locking the doors.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:56 pm

Benidorm DON'T SAY THAT!!!! Has happened twice already, in Spain :evil:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:51 pm

Katy wrote: 'I hve seen crime incidents in Pizarra, Huelva too, and most other places.'

Sorry, everyone. Didn't understand the use of the word 'seen'.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:14 pm

Bongtrees wrote:Driving in an unlocked car is the same as leaving the car unlocked when unattended or leaving home without locking the doors.
Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing :)

The incident was about 10 years ago, and since then I always lock the doors the moment I get in the car. I was actually grabbed thro' the half open driver's window, so it could have happened even if the doors had been locked. If I had been driving thro a 'dodgy' area, I would have been more cautious, but on your own home turf....
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:24 pm

"Driving in an unlocked car is the same as leaving the car unlocked when unattended"......I hope you are not a driver Bongtrees

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:01 am

if any fool thinks its better here than the uk and in country areas leaves there doors unlocked you will get hit eventually
just lock up,whats so great about leaving it all open,why do you think most country houses have rejas?
historically so you can get a breeze and not get robbed

you know i hope all you self centered 'it wont happen to me gits' do get done and then you will stop you giving the wrong impression about crime to people that have just moved here

irismary wrote
Still never lock our doors in our village - and the last theft here was 30 years ago.....
sure,how do you know that,all thefts are not reported,have you live there for 30 years?
if not i bet an estate agent told you that
jayne countys most famous song,google it

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:08 am

I guess that irismary maybe knows more about what happens in the village where she lives than anyone else here does.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:02 am

Good points Frog :D

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:34 pm

I make no apologies for re-introducing topics about crime, it is so easy to become complacent, and if someone suffers a burglary/robbery it really does make you so much more careful..

I know that there are lots of small villages where you could leave your house doors open, but believe me, get one robbery in the village and the doors will suddenly have new locks and bolts on them, and anyway, why tempt fate by leaving your home open to be robbed by some hapless scumbag ?

Many years ago all Spanish villagers would have left their doors open, but there was always someone around, and strangers to the village would be rare, and to be honest most of the people would have had very little worth stealing, anyway..(I'm not trying to be arrogant, when I say that, but it was fact.)

Regards,
Gordon.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:34 pm

Yes Beni you are correct, I doubt many had a lock in the old days. We do need to be aware. There are more likely to be more doors and windows here too. We often find we have left a door unlocked by accident, just because nothing happened doesn't mean its safe to do it. There are a lot of very poor people...why put temptation in their way.

irismary
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby irismary » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:17 pm

I know the answer to the last theft question because this is a small village - 400 regular residents. We all know one another and the children/teenagers in the locality. We are a "beauty spot" and have lots of visitors in the summer and at weekends, but they stand out. I am sure that Frog is right, and eventually there will be thefts. We are not immune to other crime - there have been several drug busts along the river, and a murder recently - also drug related, but basically, life here is as 40 years ago in UK. i.e. a lot of residents are related, we all can castigate the kids if they need it, and we all trust one another. I jut followed the example of my neighbours and donn´t feel the need to lock anything except when we leave for more than a day. I would know if a stranger was entering one of their houses, as they would mine. (In fact, as our house is exceptionally old, and we run a book swap from our main hall with a notice outside, we often find Spanish visitors in there because they think it is a museum or something!)

No estate agent told me any lies about this village, even though the one we used had grandparents here. Anyway, we lived here for several months before we started looking for a house to buy, so knew that we liked the place and the people.

I would hate to go through life as cynical as Frog

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:01 am

blimey your place where you live sounds great, if i didn't have my young family liveing close by, i think i would like to come and look at you situation,because living here on the coast, is becoming a nightmare.to bew honest i am quiet jelous of you, but wish you the best.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:38 am

cynical,moi,no i just live in the real world and have many thefts both here in spain and uk(more here)

in the uk i lived on exmoor and dartmoor in places similar to where irismary now lives i guess,we all new each other etc and even had a village idiot.we still got robbed

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:28 am

looks like you take your bad luck with you wherever you go frog ! is there also a village idiot where you live now..now that would be bad luck!!

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:40 am

loads of'em and they all drive

v.dubber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby v.dubber » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:43 am

Frog, how long ago did you live in Devon? I think you may be suprised how things have changed here.
Cave info: http://caveliving.forummotion.com
Inland Spain: http://inlandspain.forumotion.com

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:47 pm

Not much, they haven't. I lived in Devon for 50 years until two years ago and most of my family still live there. It's not EXACTLY how it was, obviously, but it's not changed that much.

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:07 pm

frog wrote:
you know i hope all you self centered 'it wont happen to me gits' do get done and then you will stop you giving the wrong impression about crime to people that have just moved here
I try not to rise to F's comments but this I do find offensive. Who do you think you are mate !!!!
Life is 'ard den you die!

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:37 pm

Lavanda wrote:Not much, they haven't. I lived in Devon for 50 years until two years ago and most of my family still live there. It's not EXACTLY how it was, obviously, but it's not changed that much.

Even Totness has an entry on www.chavtowns.co.uk :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell