IBI and Rubbish Charges Estepona

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
esteponaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

IBI and Rubbish Charges Estepona

Postby esteponaman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:34 pm

H there, new to forum. just wondering if anyone else has had their catastral value increased by 400% . This year the taxable base ( based on the new catastral value)is 30% higher than last year but the point that concerns me is that the Base Imponible (taxable base) will rise by 10% each year for 10 years until it reaches the new catastral value.
Has this just happened to me or are increased valuations widespread in Estepona ?
Can anything be done , appeal etc ?
I have an apartment in Estepona.

There does not seem to be a relationship between the CV and the property market . Catastral values rising and property values falling. .To make things worse the Town Hall are now charging for rubbish collection.
I have a feeling that these charges are mainly being levied on non resident owned properties because surely there would be uproar if the main population was affected.

I know we all have to pay our bills but i think that the spanish authorities are taking advantage of the fact the these properties are owned by non residents.

Thanks for your interest.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: IBI and Rubbish Charges Estepona

Postby Lavanda » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:06 pm

Hello Esteponaman. I can't answer your question but just wanted you to have a friendly welcome to the forum. I hope you find it informative and friendly - and I hope you get a reply.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:12 pm

Did the Town Hall not charge for rubbish collection in Estepona previously? :?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:19 pm

There is a lot going off in Estepona just now with all the wrangling about arrests and corruption. I did see where rubbish bills are being sent out for payment by January when it should usually be around June. Has caught a lot of people unaware. I am sure rubbish has always been payable there though.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:29 pm

you could have appealed previously this year, but not now.
the rubbish is charged separatly this year in estepona for the first time.
if you are registered on the padron in the property then you get a big discount on what you pay in IBI and rubbish.it´s not aimed at foreigners, same rules for whatever colour you may be.
all towns have their VC put up to date little by little.

esteponaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby esteponaman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:57 pm

Thanks for your replies,
Was not able to appeal VC increase because we were only notified by solicitor in November.
We were given backdated VC values and backdated IBI for last 4 years.
The solicitor sent a rubbish bill last week and implied that this is a new bill . not as replies have sid that it is an existing bill but brought forward.
It seems that I should be registered on the Padron and I could get a discount
Is the discount significant for registering because this might be the reason why people are not protesting . I can't believe the spanish residents would be able or be expected IBi bills increasing by 10 % every year.
El Padron seems to be the answer.
Thanks again for your replies

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:09 pm

it is a new bill.
if you are on the padron the IBI increase will be very small over the previous years´s bills
yes , the locals did moan about the increase, but mainly due to the opposition causing upset without telling them that if they are on the padron the increase is small, if you search "IBI ESTEPONA" in the forum search you will find this was talked about earlier in the year.

esteponaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby esteponaman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks Julian,
It looks like i will have to get to spain and register. i feel that I have not been given advice from solicitor. Just pay the Bill!
I paid the bills for 05 06 & 07 and held off with 08 because the increase was unreasonable.
the solicitor did not advise me about the Padron. Have to pay IBI 08 & Basura in January and sort out El Padron
Thanks

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:55 pm

it´s too late to change the 2008 bill, but register asap for the 2009 discount, I don´t know when the limit is to register.
I´m not convinced that the bills increase 10% each year, I think that is decided yearly.the increase in catastral value doesn´t automatically mean a rise in the bill.

esteponaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby esteponaman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:12 pm

Julian
My CV is 250000 and the Base imponible is 80,000 . i thought that at the end of a 10 year period the Base Imponible will be rqual to the CV.
Backdated CV applied to 05 was 60,000 with a taxable base of around 50,000 . The taxable base increased by 2.1% in 06 & 07. In 07 the Taxable base and CV were equal. Thats why I thought that after the 10 years the taxable base equals the CV.
This makes more sense to me now,because I thought that my bill was going to rise incrementally up to
250000 * 1.1% equaling about 2600 euros for IBI.
Do you follow me?

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Esteponaman, while you are in Spain it would be an idea to find yourself a good gestor. Far more likely to advise you on these matters than a lawyer ever will. No doubt your lawyer will be charging you a fair amount for lack of advice, a gestor will charge much less.

esteponaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby esteponaman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:05 pm

Will do. Thanks a lot.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:14 pm

esteponaman wrote:Thanks Julian,
It looks like i will have to get to spain and register. i feel that I have not been given advice from solicitor. Just pay the Bill!
I paid the bills for 05 06 & 07 and held off with 08 because the increase was unreasonable.
the solicitor did not advise me about the Padron. Have to pay IBI 08 & Basura in January and sort out El Padron
Thanks
Are you a resident in Spain? Do you live there for more than 183 days in any one year?

Only residents can sign on the Padron.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:21 pm

We are not residents, but we are on the padron.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:33 pm

I do know others who are non-resident but have signed on the Padron but I don't think you would be able to do it now. I was refused when I went to sign on it. I'm sure I read somewhere you have to have a residencia card or something. The councils get funding from central government based on how many people are signed on the Padron so they let anyone sign it at one time. In Estepona I don't think they will let people sign on now without residencia otherwise everyone would be signing on the Padron to reduce their IBI payments. The goal posts have been moved. :roll:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:38 am

yes the goal posts have been moved, so have the residencia cards !!!!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:58 am

the same is going to happen in marbella soon
http://www.diariosur.es/20081222/marbel ... 81222.html

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:23 pm

In Torremolinos, the discount on IBI and basura is only available to those who have been on the padron already for at least two years. Even if you can still sign on as a non-resident, you may not get the discount yet. :(
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Can anyone tell me how you would get the actual wording of the Laws passed in Estepona or any other area with regard to the IBI being reduced for those who sign on the Padron. Would this be on the internet anywhere?? There is a chance that it is illegal to discriminate between a resident and a non-resident as you can read below.
Hello costapacket,

This the link to the question & answer

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/get ... anguage=EN

If that doesn't work go to www.europarl.europa.eu , and after selecting language search for P-0561/2009

I have copied below the conclusion of the answer

The Commission has analysed the main features of the IBI as defined in the Royal legislative Decree 2/2004 of 5 March 2004 as well as the powers granted to the Local Entities in respect of this tax. This preliminary analysis has revealed that Local Entities are not allowed to differentiate between residents and non-residents for the purposes of the IBI. It would not appear, therefore, that the applicable Spanish legislation is in breach of Community law; nor does the Commission have other information which would lead it to such a conclusion. The Commission would however be happy to examine any evidence of a difference in treatment between residents and non-residents that the Honourable Member may wish to provide.
let me know if you have a problem

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:14 pm

I think there is confusion here over the word "resident"
the IBI discount is for someone who is registered as living in that village, whether spanish or foreigner, so there is no discrimination.