It's getting Worse!!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

It's getting Worse!!!

Postby katy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Not the weather (although it is). Unemployment figures for January are out. Up 6.7% (I think, was watching telly). Worse affected Andalucía, Málaga province another 7500 out of work in January. Rajoy says it is a national emergency. Almost another half million self employed left the system too. Wonder where the 3 million jobs are that Zapatero promised by March!!

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Re: It's getting Worse!!!

Postby Paula » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:56 pm

It has to be that loads of self employed would leave the system, if they are not getting enough work they have to cut costs somewhere.
Every bar and restaurant owner I talk to just in our little area has laid off staff. Some are closing down completely until April. What I can't understand is I still see so many new banks opening up.

Maybe the 3 million jobs he has promised are at Total refinery in UK :roll:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:07 pm

katy wrote:Not the weather (although it is). Unemployment figures for January are out. Up 6.7% (I think, was watching telly).
El Gobierno admite que el número de parados podría superar los cuatro millones.
I'm not normally a betting man, but I'd be happy to put a few bob on the figure comfortably exceeding 4 million.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:48 pm

I do not feel at ease quoting myself especially when it is to say I told you so but this is a quote from a post I wrote just over a year ago:
Beachcomber wrote:... I think (hope) it will be some time before Spain reaches this point but I find myself unable to dispel the feeling that the country is on the brink of some kind of cataclysmic disaster...
Perhaps Sr Rajoy should employ me as his soothsayer.
Let's go Brandon!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:06 pm

This morning on Spanish tv,( watched from the uk, sadly) they said the para was the higest in recorded history to date, then went on to say they need immigrants in Huelva as there is a shortage and they can't get the crops done in the invernarderos.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:25 pm

Perhaps because the average pay is about 4 euro an hour :?

BAS
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby BAS » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:30 pm

Beach, your right, been saying the same myself for over 12 months.

The CDS is finished as a main destination for the lifestylers and investors. In my opinion its the corruption which started the decline which led to the "illegal" property problem which is far from over.

They cant put the clock back, and its anybody's guess as to when things will recover.

The buffalo aint coming back, as they say.

Bas

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:15 pm

Exactly. I know the recession is worldwide but the writing was already on the wall for Spain with its endemic corruption and property scandals.
Let's go Brandon!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:00 am

was andalucia really "worse affected" in the increase in unemployment figures Katy?

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:02 am

A few figures from today's Daily Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/fina ... stors.html
Brian.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:33 am

BAS wrote:Beach, your right, been saying the same myself for over 12 months.
Yes, I think everyone but the Spanish government could see it coming, well even they could see it as well, just not admitting it. They have only just gotten around to using the words like "depression", up until recently is has been "adjustments", "slowdowns" etc. :D Fasten your seatbelts, we are in for a very rocky ride! There's no doubt the UK will be hit very hard, but I can see it being a lot worse for Spain. :(
Regards, Frank

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:58 am

julian wrote:was andalucia really "worse affected" in the increase in unemployment figures Katy?
According to Canal sur, but this morning one channel said Asturias, so depends which channel you watch :D Certainly bad figures for Málaga in Diario sur today.

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:03 am

Interesting map with the unemployment figure increases for January - makes depressing reading...

http://f234.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download? ... x&inline=1

...followed by an article from the Daily Mash about the British working man- might make yo laugh :lol:
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/busi ... 902021549/
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:55 am

katy wrote:
julian wrote:was andalucia really "worse affected" in the increase in unemployment figures Katy?
According to Canal sur, but this morning one channel said Asturias, so depends which channel you watch :D Certainly bad figures for Málaga in Diario sur today.
Just reading a report that says Catalunya has been the worse affected! ;-) Not sure that that means the highest percentage unemployed, just that it has lost the most workers.

El paro en España
santiale4 Pais [1/22/2009 8:54:00 AM]
Catalunya fue la región más afectada con un 60% más de desocupación que en el año anterior
Regards, Frank

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:11 pm

I hate percentages. As I've posted before, I'm no mathematical genius, or mathematical anything, but if one person is employed and then put out of work that 100% unemployment. If 1,000 people are employed and 100 put out of work, that 10% but I know which one I think is the worst. Don't percentages have something to do with the figure first started with. :? I'm having a bad joined-up-thinking day. It must be all this rain!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:54 pm

Or could it be your age :lol:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:08 pm

I think the official figures are only the tip of the iceberg. There was a thriving black economy in Spain with a large percentage of people working for cash in hand. These people will also be unemployed but will not figure in the official statistics.
Let's go Brandon!

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:17 pm

Julie, where and how do you get spanish tv in the UK? I can't see anything on my (free channels only) Sky package. Would love to watch some spanish tv in the UK - i wonder if there is an equivalent of iplayer?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:17 pm

Do you think that Zapetero going to the much publicised town of Vera and personally handing over to the Priors a cheque for a new and legal house would be possibly a good way to kick start Spains most lucrative business and restore confidence with a couple of million potential visitors?..............or would it not cross a politicians mind to get a country back in a position to have an economy when the world wide banking crisis is over?

It is at present a back to back double whammy for Spain if this goes unadressed.

DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:57 pm

Sadly most Spanish I speak to don't see corruption as a problem, neither over-building, rip-off prices etc. History will be re-written and all Spain's woe will be blamed on the USA and UK banks. Many are speaking that way already.