Renewing Passports

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
yorkshirelass
Andalucia.com Amigo

Renewing Passports

Postby yorkshirelass » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:41 am

I have checked previous posts on this subject but I cant find any up to date entries.Can anybody give me advice on how to go about renewing passports.Are special photographs needed for the new system,if so ,does anybody know how and where we get them done.We live near Velez-Malaga.Is there a courier service that we can use or do we use the normal post.Presumably this has to be done via Madrid.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Renewing Passports

Postby gerryh » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:50 am

All you need is on http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:24 am

And blooming expensive it is, too!
Your passports WILL be sent to you by courier. My advice is to send them to Madrid that way, too. Don't trust Correos with anything important.
I used the same courier service used by the Embassy, (Bpack), who DO have their own website which will find their local office/agency. I opted for the 24 hour service, by visiting the agency here and it was, IIRC, a pretty reasonable 12 euros.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:49 pm

pigs-might-fly wrote: I used the same courier service used by the Embassy, (Bpack), .
They now use DHL courier services.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:06 pm

I was thinking of combining my renewal with a day trip to Madrid on AVE, but they don't do a same day service (while you wait) so that would mean two return trips (or have it returned by DHL @ €16) and the AVE will set you back about €100 return (unless you travel when the Consulate is closed - doh!). You could get to the UK and back for less probably, and renewal is much cheaper there, but they've thought of that one; if you don't live in the UK, you have to make an appointment, then give a UK address (huh?) and BE THERE for up to 3 weeks to sign for the new passport when it arrives. Gotcha!
Spanish passport, anyone? :?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:21 pm

no you dont have to be there for 3 weeks. you can do it in 3 hours if you pay 20 quid extra. i paid 114 pounds for my new passport when i was in liverpool, applied at 9am and got it back by 12.

i did have to ... move ... to my nans tho...
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:42 pm

I did same last year to renew mine, made appointmet for 9am and got new one at 12. When I called to make the appointment I pointed out I had no permanent address in UK and they said no problem to get my daughter to write letter stating that when I am in UK I mainly reside at her address and to bring proof of her address ie: a bill of hers, anyway on the day I didn't need to show anything, was no problems and got my nice new passport, Oh I had my pics done here in Spain and took them with me, got them done in photoshop.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:04 pm

Hubby had his renewed in Scotland, the same day. He was told to take 2official bills or letters with his mothers address on (she only has an electricity bill and wouldn´t give us a bank statement!!) in the end after much hunting she found a letter from the pension folk. Hubby also had to take a letter signed by his mother saying it was his temp address. They didn´t ask for any of the letters, got the passport no problem.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:30 am

I was flying into the UK when I noticed my Passport was out of date. They did not notice when I entered the UK. Rang for an appointment and they asked for the Utility bills etc. I didn't have anything, was in a Hotel. So, I came back to Spain with the same one, no problem.

Would recommend DHL courier for anything.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:46 am

Any of the local photo shops should know the requirements for GB passports. I had mine done in a shop in Nerja and had printed out all the info from the website, but they already knew what to do and the photos were accepted OK. My passport renewal last year was almost 200€ with the fees, photos, recorded delivery to send it to Madrid and courier service back here (and they won't deliver to PO Boxes!). I have friends that have had it done on the day in London, so if you happen to be there I think it is the cheaper and quicker option. I think I got mine back from Madrid in a couple of weeks which wasn't to bad, it was the cost that hurt the most :cry: .

spaniola
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby spaniola » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:05 am

We've never had any problem with the post office in 12 years. There registered post is much cheaper than the courier service and our postman knows us and our house. The courier service was a right pain.

We weren't in when they phoned so they said we'd have to wait until they were around the area again.

Spaniola
http://www.andaluciaexplorer.blogspot.com

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:13 pm

I posted a letter to a friend in Mallorca on Saturday morning. At the same time, he posted a letter to me. I paid thirty something cents to send mine "normal" post. My friend paid over €2 for "urgent" delivery.
My friend received his letter yesterday morning.
I am still waiting for his.
Go figure.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:24 pm

north-easterly currents in the med

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:36 am

.......still waiting. Those north easterlies must be pretty strong. :x

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:16 am

Sent my passport for renewal via local courier 2weeks ago and was returned via DHL 10 days later.
Cost me E139 for renewal and E29 for courier service. I was quoted E187 for renewal but receipt says different.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:21 pm

If you were to use a friend's or relative's address in the UK to apply for a passport renewal, without actually being there yourself, would there be a problem signing for the new passport when it arrives? Most "signature required" letters or packages can be signed for by anyone at the address - does this apply to passports too, or does the person who applied for the passport have to sign for it?

Has anyone recently received a passport in the UK (legitimately or otherwise!)? Who signed for it?

McT

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:10 pm

Heard recently that you can renew them in Gibralter.
If anyone's going soon, perhaps you could pop into the P.O. to confirm this.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:38 pm

Unless you are resident in Gibraltar or employed there, you cannot renew your passport.

It was covered in detail some time ago here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11611&p=81171&hilit=passport+gibraltar#p81171

Sid

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:59 pm

A while ago i am sure that Princess peach obtained a passport from Gibraltar, if i remember correctly she posted the picture on here. :wink: Maybe send her a pm.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:08 pm

I find 143€ for passport renewal a lot..Spanish pay 20€..how much does it cost in UK??
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.