Making a Spanish Will

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Making a Spanish Will

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:28 pm

My Spanish neighbours have been telling me that their cousin has died and he had not written a will. He had no wife/children only a sister. They said that any money he has in the bank now goes to the government as there was no will. I don´t know if he had property too. This sounds very wrong to me!
My question is:
We had our will written about 4 years ago, we never got a copy though, the abogado said it would be lodged at a central office. We have since moved house, does the will still stand? Has anyone here re-written a will because they have moved house?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Making a Spanish Will

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:31 pm

The will is registered in the Central Registry of wills (Registro Central de Última Voluntad) in Madrid. There is no need to re-write it just because you have changed your address.
Let's go Brandon!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:57 pm

It certainly does sound wrong wrong.
It only goes to the government if there are virtually no relatives.
The sister would inherit and if there was no brother/sister then the cousins would inherit.

Sid

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:18 pm

There is under out 2,000€ in the bank account Sid and no house- he lived with his sister in her house until his health deteriorated and he had to go into an ´old folks home´ when she was unable to look after him. I guess it isn´t worth the cost of an abogado to sort out things for them. The neighbour showed me her bank book, they have their sister on their book, although so if one of them dies the other can get to their money.
I thought I didn´t have to change the will and that it was registered in Madrid. Not that I have many worldy goods to share about :lol: Who wants my chickens?????

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:39 pm

We have to re-do our Spanish wills as the ones we have are not legal (don't ask).

Quite good though because although our son will inherit, in the event of all three of us blanking it at the same time (air crash/ferry sinking) we have decided to will our Spanish house to a young couple the same age as our son who live in our area who we have become firm friends with and it has given us a good glowy feeling to do so.

I understand they will have a lot of tax to pay, that won't be a problem.

El Cercardo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby El Cercardo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:04 pm

I am led to believe that anyone named as a beneficiary in a Spanish will must have an NIE number. Can anyone confirm this please.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:27 pm

Eventually, yes, but not necessarily at the time of making the will.
Let's go Brandon!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:14 pm

El Cercardo wrote:I am led to believe that anyone named as a beneficiary in a Spanish will must have an NIE number. Can anyone confirm this please.
Only need a NIE number if they want to get the money. :D :D :D
If you don't leave them much it might not be worth their bother to come to Spain, get a NIE number etc etc.
Next time my sons will be over here for a holiday I will take them to get their NIE numbers.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris