How To Sell Your Spanish House To The Spanish

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

How To Sell Your Spanish House To The Spanish

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:30 am

I'm reviving this old posting to help sellers of Spanish Property....some great tips added by forum members. :lol:

.I was told recently, by a Spanish Estate Agent, that he finds it difficult to sell 'British Owned' houses to Spanish buyers.
'WHY' ? I asked...Well he explained 'Breeteesh' people have their houses too neat and tidy, not 'cosy' and 'homely' ...like Spanish homes. :shock:
So to help you prepare your home for sale to the Spanish market, may I make the following suggestions....

First make sure the doorway and entrance are mopped well, using lashings of strong smelling bleach to give the impression that you are trying to hide lots of nasty smells..
'Hire' a flea infested, disgustingly dirty dog, to bark repeatedly at prospective buyers, then fill the hallway with a collection of bikes,mopeds, farming implements and empty gas cylinders.
And now we are in the 'lounge', make sure that the television is left on with sound on full blast, scatter young children around in various stages of undress, and put an ancient Grannie or Grandad , who looks dead, in the corner on a broken chair.
And now we are in the kitchen, which you have to duck to get into, to avoid colliding with numerous pairs of voluminous knickers and long johns,dangling.. from ledges and sky hooks, drying.
Put huge pans of 'stew' on the ancient cooker, and make sure you add lots of 'erbs' to make it smell like sweaty socks.
Place loads of empty boxes, bottles and bags everywhere, and now we are entering into the 'patio' area.
Here you can fasten another 'mangy' dog, and scatter loads of dog 'poo', where you are guaranteed to walk in it, spread dozens of empty tin cans, now made into plant pots, with dead plants in them.
And now we are going upstairs to the bedrooms, avoiding piles of dirty clothes and childrens toys on the stairs.
In the 'master' bedroom, place two double beds and a single bed and stack dozens of cardboard boxes in every available space.Make sure the beds are unmade and pile dozens of crinoline lady dolls on them, then put religious pictures and crosses on any remaining wall space, and of course an ancient photo of a great Uncle who fought in the Civil War...Make sure that all other bedrooms are in a similar state, and as a final touch dangle as many pigs legs as you can find space for from the ceilings..And last but not least.. the bathroom,first make sure that the toilet seat is up and it has been unflushed for at least a day, then dangle a torn moss covered shower curtain from a hook near the dwarf bath, which you fill with dozens of empty shower gel bottles, and as a final touch pile dozens of damp towels on the floor...
And 'Bob's your Uncle ' you should achieve a sale within days. :wink:

And before you start, I love the Spanish people and really I am joking.... :lol:

But I'm sure there must be lots of other useful tips to add....

Regards, Gordon.
Last edited by BENIDORM on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: How To Sell Your Spanish House To The Spanish

Postby hillybilly » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:00 pm

LOL. You might be joking but it's all too true!
Also, make sure any free wall space inside the house is lined with mismatched wooden chairs in varying states of bottom-piercing disrepair. And to complete the ambience of welcoming but unidentifiable aromas, fill any spare attic space with boxes of salt cod and pork fat. A family of wild cats and kittens in the garden always goes down well too. If you have adjoining properties, get your neighbours to use your garden as a drop zone for their litter esp. nappies. For a really authentic touch use the defunct spring bases of mattresses and broken persianas to fence in the garden.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:09 pm

and have a "best" table in the dining room covered in pictures of the whole family :)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:11 pm

Now i know where i am going wrong :lol: :lol: Thought we would try and sell our apt and wondered yesterday what the Spanish look for after having a viewing...now i know..will take notice and correct my clean and spacious home :lol: :lol:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:19 pm

Gordon, I am laughing so much - that is hilarious! And so true from our experience of house-hunting. I would only add the amazement (and sometimes ire) of the Spanish house owner when it became clear we were less than impressed. Some positively bristled with offence as we navigated our way out.

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:15 pm

I must live in a different Spain :D You really could eat your dinner off the floor - though probably you would not be invited to eat in the house, but at their campo house or even in the campo itself, granny/grandad wont be in the house at all - they will be placed outside the front door on a chair - along with any children that might be around, dad will be at the local bar having breakfast, come on.. toast makes far too much mess to eat in your own home - after you visit when your are shown out, the ever present mop will follow you.......never would a speck of dust be allowed to settle on the highly polished surfaces.............all the brand new clothes bought in the Corte Ingles sale is washed and ironed to perfection before geing allowed to enter the pristine wardrobe, each shoe is carefully polished and placed back in its box in colour order......the dogs are sent out each morning only allowed to return to the patio/parcela next door, at night - in the house ? NEVER!! :D :D

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:42 pm

I imagine that all these descriptions apply to cheap campo ¨houses or tatty old town houses that have been empty for years and probably almost without exception are peoples second third or fourth ¨home¨ because they bear no resemblence to any of my friends or acquantances main residence which although often decorated and furnished in the ultra modern Miami style are spotless etc.

Compare this with some of the shocking sights we see on Location Location Location and other homes for sale TV programmes in the UK where the majority are full of tatty old cheap and nasty flat pack furniture, lurid orange or busy patterned carpets, 70´s wallpaper, grotty kitchens and avocado bathroom suites and all a snip at 350K plus. Fitted wardrobes no chance, usually the floor or a 5 quid clothes rail. The other week was Lincolnshire where gaudy borders, Ronseal shed colour varnish on ALL the woodwork, flower power wallpaper and again not a wardrobe in sight and as for the curtains I have never seen anything like it :shock:
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:46 pm

Bongtrees wrote:
Compare this with some of the shocking sights we see on Location Location Location and other homes for sale TV programmes in the UK where the majority are full of tatty old cheap and nasty flat pack furniture
UK comes into it once more as usual...........You've really got it bad haven't you? :?

DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:53 pm

Get over yourself, looks like I was describing your house you come from oooop t´north dont you

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:59 pm

Yep, that's right :?
Seriously though, you're abject bitterness appears on a regular basis. Yet another Spanish thread where you bring the UK up.

Thank *beep* I'm in a position to love both countries warts and all as many others are.

Being trapped may not be nice for you but give us all a break and change the record.

DA

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:12 pm

Devils Advocate wrote: Thank **** I'm in a position to love both countries warts and all as many others are.

Being trapped may not be nice for you but give us all a break and change the record.

Nope, wrong again or should I say as usual :roll:

I own properties in Spain,France, UK and USA so the word trapped aint applicable.

The only person trapped is you inside that miniscule head of yours.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:15 pm

Firewalls...great things eh!

DA

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:30 pm

I own properties in Spain,France, UK and USA so the word trapped aint applicable.
What have all those poor countries done to have to put up with you? They deserve better. You're one sad man.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 pm

frank wrote: What have all those poor countries done to have to put up with you? They deserve better. You're one sad man.

Now, now Frankie old boy, what you are expressing is an opinion and, what's more, it's your opinion and, what's worse, you've expressed it in the hope that it's an adequate put down that will enhance your ego - shame on you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:21 pm

Well I try to put a smile on a few peoples faces,by putting a humourous slant on things, during these rather miserable times, but there is always someone who got out of the wrong side of the bed and tries to dish it.Or perhaps they are permanently miserable 'gits'.. :wink:
Why is it that someone always twists everything that's written in fun, and tries to start a fight..?

Well I ask you....Life is too short ..lighten up and smile for a change..laughter is good for your heart you know...! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards...Gordon...

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:39 pm

Whilst all or at least most of the above descriptions are pretty spot on (IMHO) there is one even easier method to "Spanishify" your property. Simply buy plenty of plasterboard and divide all the rooms up into smaller spaces. A simple equation is to divide by the number of children and grandchildren you have (for each room, that is). Don't forget the kitchen - there's really no need for each resulting kitchen to be more than about 3 square metres, and if you have more than 2 rings on any of the hobs, get rid of the excess. NEVER have an oven, by the way - that would definitely give the game away.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:05 pm

Bongtrees wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:

The only person trapped is you inside that miniscule head of yours.
It comes from being a prison "officer" Bong, not your fault!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:01 pm

Beni did you mention the canarys housed in the little cages..they always have those as caged pets too.
Im afraid i have always thought of the spanish as spotless very immaculate people...post was funny tho Beni.xxxx
Bongtrees- :D

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:38 pm

Benidorm, I have to say you have made us laugh out loud tonight..

It describes exactly a house we went to see..

And all the other ones we looked at had several elements that you have written...

Well done and to the others.....Lighten up folks...

Andy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Andy1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:57 pm

You also forgot the multiple 'free' bank/garage/pharmacy...etc etc calenders up hung on every spare random nail in the walls and the obligatory bed on the landing! Or did I miss it in the great list? :D