snakes in the house ...

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

snakes in the house ...

Postby Lavanda » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:00 am

... as opposed to snakes in the grass, where they belong!

Is there any way of ensuring that snakes do not come into the house? We have snakes on our finca. It's not unusual here. Last year I collected three magnificent shed snake skins; sadly no use and not sufficient for making handbags or shoes, blow it! Our snakes are not harmful and won't kill us. The scorpions might. However, the scorpions I can cope with but I'd rather not have snakes coming into the house. What can we do? We will have cats and I've thought about having a mongoose but is there a doorstep/window spray or something especially that snakes do not like? Thanks!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: snakes in the house ...

Postby hillybilly » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:17 am

I often get them in the house...the dog usually corners them under a piece of furniture and then there's no option but to capture them and put them in the neighbour's garden :wink: Many an hour spent chasing snakes around the house...they can't half move when they want to. If there is anything that would deter them from crossing the threshold in the first place I'd be interested too.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:49 am

Last summer our hens were chasing each other about yelling loudly so I went to investigate and the hen that was bring chased had a baby snake in it´s mouth :lol: I managed to get it off the hen (ever tried to prise a determined hens mouth open?) I got the snake- showed it to my neighbour who was watching and she said it would wrap itself around the hens neck and strangle the hen, she then took it off me, put it on the ground and chopped it´s head off :shock: d) I was going to put it in the campo :(

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:55 am

Lavanda wrote:Is there any way of ensuring that snakes do not come into the house?
Does keeping the doors closed work - or do they have sneaky ways of getting in?
Our snakes are not harmful and won't kill us. The scorpions might.
Snakes can give a nasty bite. One of my builders got bitten and it was sore for days. There aren't any deadly scorpions in Spain, but again the string can be very painful.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:57 am

sounds like keeping a hen in the house might be useful to keep the snakes out then !!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:00 am

They might give us lots of eggs (15 hens- 15 eggs a day- I´ll soon get an EU grant for egg production) but I wouldn´t suggest them for a house- they poo too much :lol:

fantasy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fantasy1 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:09 am

BIO DE FEND BD1020PDQ SNAKE REPELLENT GRANULES 4LB

Manufacturer SKU: BD1020PDQ
Manufacturer: BIO DE FEND
If you put this in Google it will show you the distributors they do ship to Spain but at a cost but maybe if you give the name to a local supplier or vets they may be able to get it for you.
Below see there shipping costs to Spain.
Shipping Method Expected Delivery Time Cost
International Standard Shipping
Not Available
$94.79

FedEx International Economy
Not Available
$54.74

FedEx International Priority
Not Available
$57.44

Subtotal $19.99

Shipping Cost $94.79

Order Total $114.78

Hope this helps

Subtotal $19.99

Shipping Cost $94.79

Order Total $114.78

We ship within US, Canada, Europe and Internationally

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:27 am

Lavanda - come back to the coast - quick :shock:

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:28 am

Lavanda - come back to the coast - quick :shock:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:29 am

Get rid of mice..their food.. cut down weeds and clear posible hidding places..then they will go :)
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:31 am

fantasy1 wrote:BIO DE FEND BD1020PDQ SNAKE REPELLENT GRANULES 4LB
Subtotal $19.99
Shipping Cost $94.79
Order Total $114.78
I think I'll live with the snakes!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:38 am

Gosh! Thanks everyone!
We do intend to keep chickens - outside. I agree the granules seem expensive. We do intend to keep an area around the house clear but that's in case of fire in the dry season as well. And, yes, the scorpion bites won't kill an adult but will make you feel jolly unwell, I'm told. I just don't LIKE snakes! :( However, I wouldn't actually kill them either! :D

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:42 am

Oh my worst nightmare. I could hardly bring myself to read the post, but thought it might be important, considering my aversion to them.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:01 pm

I know what you mean, campo babe, but since being here it's surprising how I've got used to things that would have paralyzed me with fear at one time. I won't walk the high mountains in Summer because we DO have really dangerous snakes up there but snakes in the campo around the villages are laughed at or ignored by everyone local. I'm not at that stage yet - if I ever will be - but I'm not going to let a few snakes stop me having the campo life I want. Woman over snake - or is that mind over matter? However, I do draw the line at them in the house. Imagine sleeping and feeling something gently sliding up your leg, smiling and thinking nice things are about to happen and then remembering that your husband has gone to watch the Cricket at Lords. Aaaaaaaaaggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:33 pm

Simply being curious here.. What type of snakes are we talking about?

I think I'd pass out on the spot if I was walking around the villa and found a snake. Poisonous or not.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Ours are called Culebra which simply means 'snake'. They are just snakes that are quite timid and normally mind their own business but the are up to a metre long and they are frightening. EVEN THOUGH I know they are not going to kill me their bites can get infected, as Pete_1 wrote but I just don't like them. :(

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:46 pm

Oh, lor'! I have heard of them coming into little townhouses like ours, although, touch wood, it hasn't happened yet to us. I freak out if a little lizard gets in so I'm sure I would be a gibbering wreck if I saw a snake in the house! As you say, Lavanda, it is amazing what you can get used to, but even so.....

My daughter (the 'Muriel' one) is keen to go walking in the mountains, and it hadn't crossed my mind there would be snakes there, so I will certainly warn her of that. Thanks for that. She is going to get hold of some walking routes from the tourist office.

KatrinaD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KatrinaD » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:05 pm

Irene, no need to worry about your daughter coming across snakes in the mountains. I sometimes see them on the campo tracks and paths and really, they're very shy and far more afraid of us. Your daughter is very talented BTW

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:16 pm

snakes do come into townhouses ;)

i had to go and remove one from my neibours place, she was freaking out. thing was like a big worm...bout a foot long but very thin. the pet shop didn´t want it so i chucked it in the campo.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:18 pm

it´s the small ones that are poisonous, no problem with the bigger ones !