Sign of the times

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Sign of the times

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:37 pm

Well, it's all relative. I think 50p is a lot of money and someone else thinks they couldn't possibly live on that little. I think it's hot and someone else thinks it's just about warmish. I think baked beans are revolting and someone else thinks they are nouvelle cuisine. We think building a house for threepence-halfpenny is good value and our Spanish neighbour says, 'That much???' I think menu del dia at €20 is extortion and someone else thinks they couldn't possibly eat out on less than €60. I think I'm degenerating into an old bat rather quickly and a nice looking man gives me the eye. My OH thinks the exchange rate is a problem but I think the possibility of the Taliban taking over Pakistan and its bombs will give us something better to worry about soon. I think my wrinkles need a face lift and my OH says not to worry as he can't see me without his glasses on anyway. I think I need some new socks but in another week I'll be going without socks for six months so I'll hold off buying any. I think 'Democracy' means that people are allowed to choose a political system I do not approve of but someone else thinks it means 'We're right'. My OH think the beans are coming up well in the garden and our neighbour laughs and shows off his beans. We think we live in a fabulous valley and EVERYONE AGREES!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Lavanda, we were up your way the other week, on our way to La Alberca. Have you been there? For anyone who has not, it's a fabulous place, half timbered houses and a world heritage site. Planning laws are acutally adhered to (how novel is that) and any new build or refurbishment must fit in with the rest of the village. There is also a quaint custom where three elderly ladies in widdows weeds carrying a bell, run (yes I do mean run) round the village at dusk, stopping at every corner, ringing the bell and offering up prayers for those in purgatory!
I can spell but I can't type

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:14 pm

No I've not been up there yet. It's in Salamanca Province in Castille y Leon. It looks fabulous. We've not yet been over the Gredos in the north of Extremadura but we plan to do that one day so I'll make sure we go there. Incidentally, I went walking in Guijo de Santa Barbara on Sunday up the old granite paved route from Extremadura over the Gredos towards Casitlle. It was FREEZING and we started and finished the walk (15 kms but cut short due to the weather) in a blizzard! Meanwhile, in the valley below the sun was shining!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:17 pm

H Lavanda,
What a lovely area you live in, I've just been on Google Earth with the pictures enabled and it looks great.
I see you as well ,the one with the big smile :D

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:42 pm

:D :D :D

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:26 pm

Good post, Lavanda "Well it's all relative..." it made me smile :)

On a cheerful note, the ferias are just around the corner and Spring has "sprung". The countryside looks very beautiful at the moment, thanks to all that horrible winter rain, and even to tired eyes, it's a filip just to walk in it, enjoy and it's free.

Yesterday, I saw a very large white and red bird, one I have never seen before, with fabulous scarlet underwings. Initially, I thought it was a flamingo but couldn't get the binoculars quickly enough.

Little things like that cheer me up, even when in the dullest of moods. You'll probably think I'm simple minded !
If anyone has any idea as to which bird it could be, please reply.

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:51 pm

It's getting better :D
Now to lower the tone :wink:

EASTENDERS

How big is Albert Square?
By my reckoning it took Janine 10mins to get round it :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Is that in Fuengirola? :lol:

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:19 pm

janda_grant2 wrote:I can't believe this has once again degenerated into a rant about something that is Spanish and not English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, incredulous isn't it?
I think you'll find the actual heading is 'Living in Andalucia' and I was just agreeing with a previous poster so no need for the precious act because the thread is not going your way
also
I have neither the time nor the inclination to trawl through your previous posts and expose you as hypocrite although maybe I will pm you with any further postings for your approval before I dare submit them in future.....

I am usually very placid but your type of useless comment only acts as a deterrent to others from posting (especially our new members who may provide the fresh and interesting offerings that you crave) so go figure, get over yourself and just ignore the cuckoo.

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:21 pm

Typical Eastenders exit, hit by a car in the square!

I would make sure I followed my green cross code if I lived round there!!

They need to get spit the dog round!

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:26 pm

It is a bit like house hunting in Midsummer isn't it!

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:29 am

and the fantom flan flinger

anyway back to the topic

simple,less posts as less ex pats here as they have gone back to the comfort that the uk provides,mark my words,this will be a noobs and rich persons site soon

lovely irene wrote
Yes, I think the general tone of the posts on the forum IS a sign of the times. I'm sure there are lots of people reading the posts who are actually in a good position financially but are possibly holding back as they don't want to come across as insensitive, knowing what a dire situation many of the A.Com members are in. I imagine, in times gone by, A.Com was a very different place.

Could that be it, or am I way off the mark?
nah your on the ball,9 months ago you could not say a bad word here about the place

daft #$%%$#%^^^ never saw it coming tho yawwwn,main problem then for most on this site was punctuation
jayne countys most famous song,google it

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:17 pm

Thank you for the 'lovely' Frog! Gi'us a kiss! (Excuse the warty nose!)

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:03 am

lol,at least my froglets are getting away

if thats the word for young frogs, or do you just go tadpole-frog,i dunno
jayne countys most famous song,google it

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:21 am

Frog, I think you can have froglets - and toadlets if you were a toad- but probably someone will say otherwise. Now what I want to know is - Is this our first A. Com romacne?

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:39 am

...hope he doesn't " spawn " too many froglets, one FROG on here is sufficient :lol: :lol:

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:23 am

Oh TISWAS, those were the days. Only 3/4 channels to find on the remote.
Anyone joining in the "SWAPSHOP"?
I'll have to ask my daughter to show me how to put photos on here. Lots of funny "signs" in Spain :idea:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Now what I want to know is - Is this our first A. Com romacne?
- Nah, Janda - Frog is safe, I have a lovely OH (as does he I believe) however, should we both have been single, and seeing as how I'm a witch, I could have transformed myself into a lady frog, and then...... who knows! hahahahaha Image

El_Oso

Postby El_Oso » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:59 pm

I imagine, in times gone by, A.Com was a very different place.
It wasn't a different place. This forum has been going for a long long time. Over 5 years ago so called "Gurus" ran out 'Ted ******' who was one of the funniest people I have ever seen on a forum. He did give good information, yet looked on the lighter side of things and took the P a lot.

But he was ganged up on by the Gurus who have always ran this forum as depressing whinging expats. With the exception of Frog who does make me laugh. A Guru with a sense of humour.

When we moved here 6 years ago we took the advice of a so called Guru to find he spoke a load of waffle and cost us thousands with his so called knowledge. Not sure if he is still here because A.com changed it format and overnight most people changed their names.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:25 pm

Hola El_Oso. A 'newbie' who's been reading the forum for ages! I remember Ted. Great bloke. Indian Civil Service background with a liking for tiffin. As a 'newbie' with lots of experience of Spain (been here 6 years) DO NOT let the moaners run YOU out! This forum desperately needs new people, thoughts, contributions and experiences. :D