Registering on the Padron

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
teralin
Resident

Registering on the Padron

Postby teralin » Fri May 15, 2009 10:47 am

Hope this is quite a simple question. If my house is registered at the land registry and is also on the catastre, and I pay IBI every year, can I assume that I am automatically registered on the padron. I want to ensure that my house is included in the ongoing local urbanisation plans that are being drawn up at the moment and that my house is not overlooked. If not, what do I need to do to get on the padron? My townhall is not very user friendly.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: Registering on the Padron

Postby julian » Fri May 15, 2009 10:56 am

no you would not autpmatically be on the padron, but I´m not sure that it would make any difference to ensuring that your house is included in the ongoing local urbanisation plans that are being drawn up .

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Fri May 15, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks for your response Julian. I am told that my townhall is drawing up plans to include all new build properties in my area in an attempt to make them all legal. I am also told that this plan will only include properties that they know about. Since I pay IBI, my assumption is that they do know that my house is built. However, this is Spain and I want to ensure that my house is not overlooked in this process. I think I will go and try to register. Do you know what I need to take with me.

El Cercardo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby El Cercardo » Fri May 15, 2009 11:58 am

We've just registered for the Padron...all we needed was something to prove we owned the house (deeds) and copies of our passports and NIE's. We then got a follow up visit from the local police at the house to double check our passports.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 15, 2009 12:19 pm

The padron is a local census of residents. It has nothing to do with property. You can sign on the padron if you rent a house.

The ultimate legal record of property is the property register. The catastral records often do not agree with this registry records and it is entirely possible for a property to be on both registers and still be illegal.

Sid

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Fri May 15, 2009 12:34 pm

There are many houses around here that were built with wrongly issued building licences and the townhall is now trying to put things right by incorporating them into some kind of local plan. My house was registered via the certificate of antiquity route but as you say, legality is not only down to documents, it's also down to the interpretation of whichever bureaucratic is looking at it. So I will follow this with interest as I understand that many villages in the Axarquia are producing new local plans with the aim of legalising as many houses as possible. It does make sense as then taxes etc can be regularised.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri May 15, 2009 1:41 pm

I suggest you go up to the town hall and ask them for a copy of your catastro details, that will tell you what the catastro says about your property and that is what matters in terms of the new official urban plan.

Despite owning property in Spain for 10 years now I have never able to get the catastro to match what is on the Registro (and there are millions like me) although in theory they should both match

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri May 15, 2009 6:11 pm

you can look at the catastro details of your property online using the 20 digit number on the IBI bill, that will be the info the town hall have, more than the property register info.