Mayors facing prosecution

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
brightspark
Tourist

Mayors facing prosecution

Postby brightspark » Wed May 20, 2009 8:54 am

Does anyone know how to find out about the situation regarding illegal building licenses issued by Mayors. The mayor of my village is facing prosecution but no-one including the town hall seems to be able to give me information about which properties these charges relate to. Also what happens to the buyer, if like me, everything was done legally and a mortgage was even obtained on the land!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mayors facing prosecution

Postby Lavanda » Wed May 20, 2009 11:29 am

First thing to do is not to worry too much. Everything seems chaotic right now. However, if your Spanish is up to it, and you have a lot of time, EVERYTHING in Spain is on the internet. You need to know where to start and what you are looking for but eventually you might find it. If the Ayuntamiento has no idea which properties are related to the Mayor's illegal activities then, surely, the prosecution will know. Who is prosecuting the Mayor? Under what charges? Start there, perhaps?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 20, 2009 12:08 pm

I do not wish to depress or alarm you brightspark, but in reality even if you have used the top lawyer in the land, if the licence was issued illegally as far as the Junta is concerned, you still have an illegal building!
Of course a bank will give you a mortgage on the land, because you do not need a license to own that - only a licence to build on it.
This country continues to be more corrupt and inefficient than anything we see from the H of P in the UK...at least the Land Registry seems honest and accurate, and local planning laws are reasonably workable, only the odd bung to a Town Planner is needed.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed May 20, 2009 12:15 pm

if you have a building licence,and the house was built as per that licence, if the junta later decide the licence is illegal you can sue the town hall for giving you the licence, so relax for the moment, only worry about problems when they are actually a problem..don´t go looking for and making problems that maybe don´t even exist !!
Last edited by julian on Wed May 20, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 20, 2009 12:28 pm

Although I agree with julian's sentiments, I still think that buying property here is a gamble, and like all gambles one should never bet if one can afford to lose.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed May 20, 2009 12:42 pm

Our esctitua/obra nueva has a signed and stamped JDA sticker on it. Is this the norm or does it vary from place to place?..........somebody will probably tell me that could be forged too :mrgreen:

In all honesty I wouldn't lose sleep if I were the original poster so long as I'd payed my slab of purchase tax and was paying IBI as requested, when it all comes out in the wash you'd be safe.

Funny thing is we know certain people over there who actually gloat about not paying IBI :? .....they're the guys who should be worried IMHO.

DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed May 20, 2009 12:56 pm

The JDA stamp is stating that the tax has been paid...not that it is neccessarily a legal property

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed May 20, 2009 1:01 pm

Is that right now? Well they've stuck it on completely the wrong page then :?

DA

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed May 20, 2009 1:04 pm

Strangely we have several "gloating" friends. They flout the laws. get everything cheaper than us and cause "heated debates" at home because my OH thinks they know more than I do :lol: One friend gloats because he hasn't had an electric bill since he bought the house about two years ago :shock: If it were myself I would lay awake worrying I would find the electric vanishing one dark winters night!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed May 20, 2009 1:06 pm

"Is that right now? Well they've stuck it on completely the wrong page then"..........
which page should it be on?mine is on the front cover of the escritura

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed May 20, 2009 1:15 pm

From memory the 4th or 5th page, there is also another stamp which is signed although it's not a sticker (as on escitura) on a seperate sheet.

OH keeps them at work so I'll give her a call later and verify.

DA

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed May 20, 2009 1:29 pm

julian wrote: if the junta later decide the licence is illegal you can sue the town hall for giving you the licence,
I love your confidence in the Spanish judicial system! Even if you managed that, even if you were successful, you'd probably be about 95 years old! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed May 20, 2009 1:31 pm

katy wrote:If it were myself I would lay awake worrying I would find the electric vanishing one dark winters night!
You've heard the advice on here, Katy, don't worry about, it might never happen! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed May 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Frank said:

I love your confidence in the Spanish judicial system! Even if you managed that, even if you were successful, you'd probably be about 95 years old! :D

I say:

And even then you wouldn't get the money....ever Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 20, 2009 2:04 pm

We have friends who were quietly boasting about only paying 25€ or so per month for electric - for four years. Then some bit of paperwork clicked into place, a new meter was installed, and after six months (to get a fair average I assume) their consumption was assessed and they were back-charged a few thousand Euro for what they must have used... :roll:

brightspark
Tourist

Postby brightspark » Wed May 20, 2009 2:09 pm

Thank you all for your prompt replies, clearly I´m not alone! Some useful suggestions and I think to go directly to the Junta, rather than ayuntamiento, is a good idea. If I get a result I´ll let you know, although I agree that I may be a bit long in the tooth with considerably more grey hair by then!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed May 20, 2009 2:15 pm

if you go direct to the junta you will be probably be stirring up the "&%/"...let sleeping dogs lie...at least until that sleeping dog comes and knocks on your door!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 20, 2009 2:21 pm

IMHO taking some action like going to the Junta demonstrates that you will not be easily trodden on, and possibly, just possibly make them worry about action in the European Court etc. Ostriches get eaten, these days...

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed May 20, 2009 2:26 pm

and what exactly will you be asking the junta "excuse me I think my house might be illegal..could you please check for me"... :? I´d rather spend my day doing something slightly more constructive..and what are you going to do if they tell you one way or another....?

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed May 20, 2009 2:29 pm

Your best bet is to take Julian´s advice and do nothing and keep a low profile. I was writing the same thing as his post came in........ Look up the Registro de Propiedades and see how your property is described, and also check the catastro (although this may be out of date) and if you can have a quiet word with a friendly local or your bank manager, to see if your area or street may be affected......on no account go to the Junta, they may decide you are denouncing yourself for having an illegal house and use you as the test case to prove their case against mayor....!!!