Third world?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Third world?

Postby katy » Wed May 20, 2009 2:04 pm

http://www.diariosur.es/20090520/malaga ... 90520.html

A block of flats has 13 floors, no lift, electric or water! One resident says that the "mierda" is high as the fifth floor.

toyotadesigner
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Third world?

Postby toyotadesigner » Thu May 21, 2009 6:51 pm

Definitely third world. Or fourth. Sometimes even fifth if you are too close to the coast. You should have seen the 'nice' environments in Nerja last year. Trash piled up by the meters, not feet. Nobody cared.

It stinks.

For this and other nightmares we've left the coastal area and settled close to Granada for a fraction of the price we have paid for a considerably smaller house at the coast. With more comfort, silent neighborhood, clean streets and trash bins. Central heating, marble everywhere, bars for doors and windows, paved access road - a dream I didn't even dare to dream of last year.

We drove more than 3.000 kilometers, checked more than 60 homes and you won't believe what had been presented to us. Rotten homes, filled up with lousy, dirty furniture, trash piled up in the kitchen, floor and hall, laying around there for months and stinking like hell. But the owners still wanted money for these wrecks. That's the reason why I really wish the crisis should be even worse for the next 5 years so they will learn it the hard way that none of the rich 'extranjeros' is going to pay a lousy cent for trash.

Yes, that's Spain in the year 2009. Don't hope it will change the next 20 years - it won't. The so called 'clean Spain' from 20 years ago is gone forever.
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat May 23, 2009 4:04 pm

And what about my thread gone off topic. Does no-one care that people here are living in mierda up to their eyeballs :lol: :wink:

I always notice spelling and grammar mistakes but I know I make many myself. Different on a forum, not as though it's a written report! We are writing from the head,heart or @rse :lol:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat May 23, 2009 4:15 pm

Yes, I think it's horrendous that in this day and age, people have to live like that! MY OH was brought up 60 years ago ago in a block of flats called The Guiness Trust in Hammersmith and they didn't have running water, only one loo to everyone on one floor, that sort of thing, bu that was 'back in the day'. Really sad people have to live like that - and worse - these days.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sat May 23, 2009 5:12 pm

It is terrible that people live in such slumlike conditions. Unfortunately sometimes it is the inhabitants themselves that turn places into slum dwellings. Not suggesting that is the case here.
I read a book recently, an autobiography of someone who used to work around the Eastend of London when poor families were living in the tenament blocks. No toilets, no running water in many cases. Women with babies and kids walking up all those stairs. It's not actually that long ago.

pietree
Resident

Postby pietree » Tue May 26, 2009 8:18 pm

Third world, hehhehe

Yep much as I love the climate here, I have to say, its all they do have.

Try booking a flight to another European country, some take 18 hours and land everywhere before the destination and cost almost €2000, they havent got a clue here, you only have to look at phone call and internet charges to see how far behind they are, and they think they are so sophisticated.

One good thing about being behind the times though is, they dont seem to have the yob culture yet, it will come though.

rant over, I still love it, but
Thats it for now