Pasports (Again Sorry)

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Kahuna
Andalucia.com Amigo

Pasports (Again Sorry)

Postby Kahuna » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi Folks - asking for a friend! I know Passports have been discussed endlessly here but there is a question I was asked last night that I thought worth airing.

My friends (husband and wife) are resident here in Spain (Olvera) and both need to renew their passports soon. They have the forms from the UK and are confused by the limitations they face just because they have residencia.

In the first instance they are recommended (in the paperwork) to apply by mail to the Consulate in Madrid. But, the cost of a passport from Madrid is €140. The cost in UK is only £90 I believe, and they are horrified by the difference (€280 for the 2 of them + courier if they want to be safe)!

They also have a valid address in UK (family member) that they could use as a drop for a postal renewal in UK. They are justifiably concerned by the warning in the application that incorrect information (resident address) could result in the passport being retained and no moneys refunded either!

He enquired in Gib last week and the post office said they could issue him a renewal immediately if he was working there (with proof of contract).

Q. What's the reason for the difference in cost of a Passport from Madrid and one from UK?
Q. Has anyone else used a UK address for an application whilst resident here?
Q. Has anyone gotten a Gib renewal yet lived in Spain?
Q. What's the 'least painful' route to them renewing their passports?
Kahuna
=======

dxf
Resident

Re: Pasports (Again Sorry)

Postby dxf » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:30 pm

Hi

1) The British Consulate add an extra charge onto passport renewals to cover their costs on everything else they do. There has been a recent discussion on this which I was priviliged to take part. They are reviewing the best way forward without funding from central government,

2) Yes a couple of years ago I used a UK address to get mine renewed

3) Yes a friend round the corner has just renewed his - BUT he works in Gib full time

4) Define painful - simplest is to courier to Madrid, as courier to UK is more expensive

Davexf

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:03 pm

This was covered here previously-

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18902&p=163862&hilit=renewing+uk+passports+in+uk#p163862

Reading the FCO website it says-
Renewing your passport in the UK if you live abroad.
You can renew, amend or replace your passport whilst you’re visiting the UK. You should apply to the Identity and Passport Service.

You’ll need to make an appointment, provide a verifiable residential address, and be able to attend any interviews as required by IPS. You’ll have to be available at this address so you can sign for the passport. Please note that IPS do not accept applications by post or email from abroad.
The first sentence makes it clear that renewing in the UK is legal but that you must provide a valid address not a made up one and that you can be contacted at that address. I intend renewing mine next year that way, using my daughters address in the UK while staying with her for a strategically timed holiday. :)

Kahuna
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kahuna » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:24 pm

Thanks for the link.

I see you are talking about applying in person for the passport - which means they MUST go to UK. That's what they were hoping to avoid!
Kahuna
=======

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi Kahuna,My husband works in Gib,we live in spain,and myself and my son both have Gibraltar issued passports.They were only issued to us because my husband works in Gib,no other reason.

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:57 pm

I've just renewed my sons via Madrid, yes it was more expensive than the UK, but came back in 8 days via courier. I sent it correos signed for.

p.s...even got in and out of Gib before we realised it had expired!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:38 pm

princess peach wrote:
Hi Kahuna,My husband works in Gib,we live in spain,and myself and my son both have Gibraltar issued passports.They were only issued to us because my husband works in Gib,no other reason.
Ahhh! I remember it well :lol: :wink:

I entered the UK with an expired passport and returned here with it :shock:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:12 am

Ahhh! I remember it well
lol..how could you forget it... :lol: droned on for weeks that passport thread :?

You could always try another method to get one from Gib.There is one that i can think of. :wink:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:19 am

Good morning Princess ,
And elevated you to Guru in a matter of weeks :?

:D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:33 am

Everyone always moans about the cost of passports, but they only work out at less than a £1.00 a month over 10 years, so not really that expensive....

And don't forget an illegal immigrant would pay 1000's to get hold of a UK passport..if they could . :wink:
UK passports are quite precious..so look after them...I've had 2 stolen since living in Spain.. :oops:

I now make sure that I've got insurance to cover them, it isn't just the cost of replacing them..it's the inconvenience caused if you lose them.

In my opinion, it is best to send them to Madrid by courier, and get them back quickly without hassle, I know that it is more expensive, but at the end of the day it is cheaper than working out 'schemes'..and a lot less stressful...

Don't look for problems that aren't there..!

Life will throw plenty of problems at you without you adding to them...

End of Sermon.... :D

Regards,
Gordon...The frequent purchaser of passports.. :lol:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:33 am

Good morning Princess ,
And elevated you to Guru in a matter of weeks
Morning Enrique :wink:
slight exageration there of "elavated to guru in a matter of weeks"
It took a lot of arguing and crossed words to get me to guru status.I worked hard for that title. 8)
dont be starting them all off on that subject again...it doesnt take much.. :lol:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:20 am

I went through all this last year, but unless you do have a relative's address you can use and also intend going to the UK, your only option is to get it from Madrid. The risk of not getting it via the UK is too great. My friend's Mum tried that route, having it posted to her daughter's in the UK, but they found out and refused to send it and she lost the fee too.

My main worry at the time was that the courier would not deliver to PO Boxes or trek up into the hills to our campo house, but in the end it worked out fine. They contacted me by text the day before warning me that they would be delivering the next day, then rang to arrange to meet the next morning. MY OH's passport is due for renewal next year but we shall just have to pay out the fees here as it was, in the end, the least hassle and cheaper than us going back to the UK and arranging appointments etc.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:43 am

It is of course well known in UK Civil Service quarters that anyone living in Spain is filthy rich, and they are perfectly entitled to be jealous as héll and have a go at them, given the chance.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:04 pm

Looking at the website again now, I think the fees have gone down since I got my passport 18 months ago. The current price seems to be 154€ for the passport and 13.25€ for the courier, but I paid 170€ for the passport and 11€ for the courier. I also remember that they said that the fee used to contain an element that was to help 'Britains abroad in distress' but perhaps they've stopped that now.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Since the price is based on Sterling, it may be that the exchange rate drop would have reduced the price.

Sid