Changing Euros into Sterling

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Changing Euros into Sterling

Postby alicia » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:55 am

Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice. I have to pay a bill in February in Sterling but have only got Euros. Is it better to go to a Spanish bank here in Spain and change my Euros into Sterling - would that mean I get more "sterling" for my Euros????? Or is it better to wait until I go to UK and then change my Euros into "sterling" - would the UK bank give me more??????

Sorry if I seem a bit stupid asking this question????? :? :?: :idea:

campo babe
Resident

Re: Changing Euros into Sterling

Postby campo babe » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:22 pm

No-one can tell what the situation will be like in February as far as the exchange rate is concerned.

But apart from that, depending on the amount in question, I would say use your debit card in a cash machine in the UK when you get back there. The rate given is usually better than taking euros to an exchange bureau, especially at the airport.

Presumably you are going back to the UK to pay the bill.

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:42 am

Hi Campo Babe

Thanks for taking time out to reply. Thing is I get paid in Euros and just looking for best way to get the best amount of sterling for my euros so I will have enough to pay this bill in UK. That was why I didnt know if it was better to change my euros here in Spain or wait until got to UK in Feb and then go to UK bank to change my Euros into sterling. Hard to know sometimes who is going to give you more for your dosh if you see what I mean.

Thanks anyway. :|

Pigeon Tim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pigeon Tim » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:50 am

Your best bet is to find someone who needs to change sterling into euros and do a deal with them, that way you'd both save on commission charges

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:35 pm

If you don't know anyone to exchange the cash with, then as said before the best route would be to use your spanish card in the english hole in the wall, and hopefully you will get a better rate than taking the euros into a bank, but you could pop in a bank and ask, then put your card in the hole in the wall and see the difference in whats on offer from both sides.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:35 pm

If you don't know anyone to exchange the cash with, then as said before the best route would be to use your spanish card in the english hole in the wall, and hopefully you will get a better rate than taking the euros into a bank, but you could pop in a bank and ask, then put your card in the hole in the wall and see the difference in whats on offer from both sides.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:33 pm

This depends on quantity, for 1000 or over if you know someone who uses forex brokers like Currencies Direct then get them to do it for you.........