Repossessions in the Sun - BBC Radio 4

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Repossessions in the Sun - BBC Radio 4

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Interesting programme on Radio 4 this morning. It's mostly about Benidorm and Alicante generally but may be of interest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q= ... 0the%20sun

It is only available on BBC iPlayer for seven days from today, Monday 2nd November.
Let's go Brandon!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Repossessions in the Sun - BBC Radio 4

Postby frank » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:20 pm

Not a lot we didn't already know, but pretty depressing all the same. One of the women in deep financial trouble that had bought a holiday home for rental in Tenerife(?) reckoned it was the same as buying a rent to let in UK. Rather a naive statement, I'd have thought.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi Beachcomber,
Thanks for the link........probably the the best 30mins of listening for anyone thinking of coming over.

Frank :: unfortunately not everyone is reading A.com or doing their homework before getting off the plane over.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:47 pm

Well produced programme. I don't think the woman was exactly naive, remember what the so-called financial experts were writing at the time in papers such as The Telegraph/Times/Mail. I didn't believe them but had hands on experience :) The Snelling guy spoke with the usual cliches....hello, most people who have been swindled did use a lawyer :evil:

asiwalkedout
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby asiwalkedout » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:02 pm

maybe the media in the uk should bear some of the responsibility given the number of 'your place in the sun' type programmes peddling false dreams, yes of course these people are somewhat naive also but they are not the only ones to blame, the media, banks making it too easy to get mortgages and therefore pushing up prices unrealistically surely are more to blame than hapless individuals
don't turn your dream into reality or it could turn in to your worst nightmare!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:05 pm

Never mind blaming the UK yet again, the banks etc, try apportioning the blame where it belongs. The banks never made anyone borrow money, take out second mortgages etc, a lot of people were motivated by pure greed. The woman in that programme took out a second mortgage purely in the hope of making a killing by renting out to tourists. She could not afford the mortgage, she was relying on the rentals to pay it, and when the tourism dried up, she was in deep mierda. I'm afraid I haven't an ounce of sympathy for her, she overextended herself and came unstuck. I have sympathy for those that have houses demolished etc but a lot have only themseleves to blame for their demise.The UK press/TV always comes in for flack here, it's either got something against Spain, always looking for the bad side, or it's over glamourising it. Simple amswer is don't read it, or don't watch the UK TV programmes, but going by previous comments, these type of programmes are compulsory viewing for a lot here.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?