Flooded property!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Bandy
Resident

Flooded property!!

Postby Bandy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:23 pm

How many of the forum members got flooded?
Our property was under 1 metre of water. :cry: :cry: :evil: I am going over very soon to take an inventory and salvage what I can whilst a few others are clearing up the mud and :sick: inside at the moment. We got the news on Xmas Day................great present :!: :!: That's what happens if everyone prays for rain after the long dry spell. Supposedly there is now enough water in Andalucia to last 2 years :crazy: :thumbdown: :!: :!:
is the sun over the yardarm yet ?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: Flooded property!!

Postby hillybilly » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Sorry to hear that. We are all suffering in some way or t'other from this rain...and it still hasn't stopped...

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:54 pm

Bandy
Beachcomber posted this link recently about the reservoirs.
http://www.embalses.net/comunidad-1-andalucia.html
Today’s edition of diariosur shows the results of a cloudburst in Málaga and Alhaurín de la Torre
http://www.diariosur.es/
The forecast shows a better day tomorrow and then back to very wet again.
This is for Málaga city.
http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/predicc ... laga-29001

pentaqua-new
Resident

Postby pentaqua-new » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:32 am

Iznajar is now 48% full (476 HM3) and rising - the highest over 10 years has been around 600HM3.

We have had water through the floors, though nothing quite as bad as Bandy. 'Her Indoors' has slept downstairs for the last few nights on "Tsunami Watch" mopping up every 15 minutes or so, so if I tell her about Bandy, it might make her feel a little better - though I doubt it.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:38 am

We had an underground garage flood a few years ago where we were living upto over a metre deep. The car was a right off, and the brand new motorbike we just bought was never the same again - I know what you´re going through! :x

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:40 pm

Our then newly reformed casa was flooded twice a couple of years ago - we had to put flood defences in place (large ditch with the excavated earth piled house-side; then a wall backed with thick gravel layer; guttering to redirect roof water; increased drainage capacity/drainholes). We've just come back after 3 weeks of virtually non-stop rain (except when it snowed :lol: ) and apart from leaky windows had no problems :thumbup:

When we look at photos of the original building, we now realise why we had problems with the redesigned door / terrace layout - the original (built on a gentle slope) had a solid back wall with only high windows - we cut into the slope for a pool terrace, and then again for a ground floor terrace; put in doors to the terrace etc, so all the water ran down the hill and collected in the lower terrace from where it couldn't escape except through the house..... you live & learn :wink:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:31 pm

We only had a couple of leaks. I reckon the dry weather then the force of rain had broken up some of the grout round the terrace. I've done a temporary repair and so far there have been no more leaks.
It's OK if you live here full time as you can always be on top of things. Having said that, in September a year or two back, we left the house to go shopping and there was a torrential downpour. Drains overflowed and all the downstairs was soaked. Insurance paid up.
Dave

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:08 pm

Here's a handy site to see what the rain is actually doing.

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/wea ... spain.html

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks Ron - it's added to my Favourites :thumbup:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)