Photo ID Driving License

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Photo ID Driving License

Postby sunkissed » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:02 am

Hi
I have the old paper driving license that is stamped by the traffico in the event of being stopped by the Guardia in my Spanish registered car. I wish to replace it with a photo ID licence whilst I'm in the UK. As I have to return the old license to DVLA when replacing it, what's the procedure for getting the new one stamped with the traffico as it will now be plastic? Would they take it off me and send it off somewhere or give me some document to keep with my license?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Photo ID Driving License

Postby gerryh » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:07 am

Why don't you take the easy option and exchange it for a Spanish driving licence here in Spain?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:40 am

I spend a lot of time in the UK and may be there all the time in the near future

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:45 pm

Why not just report your old (stamped) paper licence as lost? They'll send you a replacement which you can then use to apply for a photo-license.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:17 pm

If you have a UK Euro photo-licence, provided you have the regular medicals in Spain, you do not have to do any more with it - get it stamped, show it to Trafico or anything. Just be aware that you must have a valid UK address on it.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:34 pm

No it is not necessary to have a valid UK address on it if you have moved permanently to Spain.

This is accepted by the DVLA as they cannot put a foreign address on it so they accept that the address on it may no longer be valid.

This also conforms to EU law.

Sid

pietree
Resident

Postby pietree » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:45 pm

Hi, I have a new card driving license, and rather than carry it around everywhere with me, I took it to the police station where they photo copied both the card and the paper bit and stamped it, it has come in handy when trying to pay for goods with my card without my passport on me too, they seem to accept this as ID proof as it has a photo on it, hope this helps
Thats it for now

crazydiamond
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby crazydiamond » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi, I have a UK European photo licence, do I need to get the paper part stamped by Trafico? Also, how do I go about getting a medical, does it have to be from an approved medical centre? I assume the medical certificate has to be carried with the car documents? The information seems to change so often, difficult to keep up with!

My UK licence photo card expires at the end of the year, I am fully resident in Spain but drive when visiting the UK, is it best to renew the UK licence or change to a Spanish one?

Thanks, :D

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:01 pm

I would recommend you exchange it now.

You will not normally need a medical until it comes up for renewal.

The medical has to be done at one of the many recognised centres which are usually private clinics who do the tests as a sideline.

Sid

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:13 pm

I am 67 I have a UK photo license with my old adress on where I lived in UK, I now live permanently in spain and in good health, am I right in thinking that I am perfectly legal with my license and as long as I have a medical here in Spain when I am 70 as long as I pass the medical I can carry on driving. Or is there anything else I need to do????
Thank you all

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Having a UK address on your licence is not an issue. Spanish licences don't have an address.

You will have to exchange your licence at 70 as it will come up for renewal then if not before. Remember that photo licences are only valid for 10 years.

There is a lot of information in the FAQ section at:-

http://www.andalucia.com/forums/viewtop ... 42&t=27787