renewell of E111 card

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
daveeee
Tourist

renewell of E111 card

Postby daveeee » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:18 am

hi everyone
does anyone know where to go in Antequera to change our e111 cards to the spanish equivalent.

many thanks
dave

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Re: renewell of E111 card

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:37 am

Is your E111 still valid? They were renamed EHIC some time ago and should have been replaced then.

I assume it is a UK card you have. I believe you only qualify for the Spanish EHIC if you are paying into the system here. If not, then it is UK that issues them, but if you are resident in Spain you don't qualify for one. If you haven't been here long then apply to UK fo an E106 from UK or, if retired, an E121?

If you are past state reirement age you wil get one from Spain, although I don't know where you get it.

However, that is due to change later this year when it will be issued by UK.

I think that is the general gist of it. Plenty of members of this forum are more knowledgeable than I am on this subject so a more accurate reply will probably be forthcoming, soon.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

sheilap
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sheilap » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 am

check out www.direct.gov.uk all the info is on there

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:00 am

As camposteve says, it has been the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) for some years now: they are no longer being issued by the Spanish authorities for those holding tarjeta sanitarias, and forms are being sent out by Newcastle to all those registered under E106 and E121 - as pensioners, dependents or whatever - to apply for new ones, so either await the form (my OH has got hers) or if more urgent, contact Newcastle.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:29 am

peteroldracer wrote:- to apply for new ones, so either await the form (my OH has got hers) or if more urgent, contact Newcastle.
The cards won't be issued until April, validity starting in May.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks for clarifying the timescale gerry - if someone needs to travel between now and May, I was suggesting that they talk to Newcastle - I would suspect that the people here may be reluctant to dish out cards that will become invalid in such a short time? - assuming that they have a clue about what is changing!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:11 pm

They are well aware of the change as they have only been issuing cards valid until end Feb which was the original date of the change.

Whether they are aware of the slippage to end April, I don't know.

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:10 pm

We actually got ours early in January this year (from Spain) as we were planning a trip to the UK the following week. They were issued without a problem as we are in the system as a pensioner and dependant.

The girl said they were valid for one year, but then noticed the expiry date 30 April 2010. I tried to explain to her that after this date they would be issued by the UK. I don't know if she understood. But we were happy.

I have now got my form from the UK.

DWPinSpain
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DWPinSpain » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:13 pm

El Cid wrote:They are well aware of the change as they have only been issuing cards valid until end Feb which was the original date of the change.

Whether they are aware of the slippage to end April, I don't know.
They are aware. If you have a card that expires at the end of Feb then the Spanish are still responsible for covering you until the end of April. If you make a trip in this time, then go to your INSS office and they'll either issue you with a temporary card or certificate.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:45 pm

With your back to the restaurant at the Antequera Bull Ring, across the road you will see a red cross building. Take the road to the left of this building. On the right you will pass the health centre and next is the INSS. Collect a number from the desk on the left take your passpart, NIE and Social Security cards with you. Last time I went nobody spoke English there.

Good Luck

daveeee
Tourist

Postby daveeee » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:16 pm

hi everyone

many thanks for the replies it seems clearer now..................

dave

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:41 pm

I really hope this is the end of this thread, which has made me cringe every time it comes up: firstly because there is no such thing as a "E111 card", and secondly, the awfull misspelling of "renewell" instead of the English word "renewal"!

rostrumdiva
Tourist

Postby rostrumdiva » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:22 pm

We are Spanish resident UK pensioners and may need to travel to the UK during March. Sadly, we went into our SS office in Estepona to extend our end-February dated EHIC card just for the 2 months until end April and they refused completely. We have applied to the UK for new cards from 1st May but are not covered 1st Mar to end April in either country it seems.