RYan air pulling out of Granada may 10th

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Big Col
Andalucia.com Amigo

RYan air pulling out of Granada may 10th

Postby Big Col » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:45 am

http://www.ideal.es/granada/20100303/lo ... 31338.html

weve heard this before, but looks like its happening???

Big Col

wendyakemp
Resident

Re: RYan air pulling out of Granada may 10th

Postby wendyakemp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:25 am

Hi Col
I posted it yesterday in travel, its very true as I phoned them and the last flights to the uk are on the 3rd May.
At first they wouldn't even talk to me and put the phone down so I waited a couple of hours and rang back and they had a script to read by then.
They said its because they have to save money elsewhere when they start new routes so the Greece flights have made them stop Granada!!!!
The people already booked will get an email in due course, lovely eh?

I contacted my Spanish friend last night and she said it was on the news, they are very upset as the internal flights are also stopping. So they can't go off to Madrid or Barcelona for the weekend now.It also means that you can't fly somewhere else and then get a connecting flight to the u.k. except Bologna in Italy and that is very expensive. They do fly to Milan but the connection is made so that you miss the flight to the U.K.

Big Col
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Big Col » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:14 am

Hi Wendy

Thanks for that, they have been talking about it for so long, I cannot remember that flight ever not being full.

Being used by the Spanish and British,I thought the route was well supported.

Ah well back to Easyjet Almeria then :crazy:

saying that there must be a big hole there to fill by another Airline surely??

Big Col

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:50 am

"Being used by the Spanish and British,I thought the route was well supported."

According to the link, traffic increased last year, but it's Ryanair trying to screw them for more money. Ryanair are promising even more visitors next year and of course, want more subsidies. There has to come a time when these councils will say enough is enough, we aren't going to be held to ransom. (in the letters there is reference to RA being blackmailers) it's happened in other parts of Europe, it'll happen again. Cities decide they won't pay, so RA move onto to somewhere that will. How long they can keep doing that remains to be seen.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?