I'm Happy in Spain !!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Retro P
Resident

Re: I'm Happy in Spain !!!

Postby Retro P » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:55 pm

BuII5HIt !!
Ah! the full english!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:05 pm

Retro, in the eyes of the spanish you are the people they want in Spain. It was only when the hordes of British came, living next door to them and competing for work that things have soured. They need you next door like a Brit needs a Rumanian family next door :wink:

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Know what you mean Katy, this palce has been ruined by the people I have mentioned previously !!
Ah! the full english!!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:27 am

so when you decided you didn´t want to be in spain after going to a do with chip eating brits in the campo, instead of making a mental note to only go to charity do´s in Marbella Club where clearly the people are obviously so much better spiritually because they eat caviar instead of chips, you decided you should leave spain...you got the world map out and after some deliberation found, and decided on a place called england
nationality of inhabitants.........british
world renouned national dish.....fish and chips from a newspaper

don´t go to any charity do´s in your local village hall Katy, stay at home in yellow egg cottage, otherwise you may be on the move again, and that wouldn´t please OH !!

ladymuck
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ladymuck » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:04 am

I totally agree with kate at least she tells it as it is. All this mixing with the spanish stuff and you hear them on the living in spain programmes saying they want to intergrate :yawn: the ones that keep saying this usually speak no spanish but say oh my neighbours are lovely should learn spanish and understand what they are really saying about you . lol you may change your mind.

boblocksmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby boblocksmith » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:21 am

Many Brits have returned to the UK who were working / looking for work and it from the Spanish pov it would be understandable that they wouldn't necessarily want people competing for jobs "living next door" anymore than Brits would want Romanians competing for their jobs in the UK "living next door". I would imagine that most folk coming to Spain (this neck of the woods) are either retired or on a UK income so they are no threat and contribute substantially to the local economy. Many probably have private health insurance as well. If the recession ever lifts and the housing "situation" ever improves then perhaps attitudes will change both with the unhappy resident Brits - many who seem to contribute to these forums - and the Spanish who according to Katy and Ladymuck are Xenaphobic. Such bile!! Where do you people live I wonder? I remain optimistic! Is anyone else?? :thumbup:
Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:55 am

boblocksmith
well said.
Totally agree with you.
We have lived here for 6 years.
Not everything is perfect but we are happier here than we were in the UK.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:01 am

Funny how certain names only post at the same time as well......... other certain names.:crazy:
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:16 am

Julian they were white soggy chips :lol:

I know it doesn't make sense but it acted as a sort of catalyst. These people didn't seem normal, just false. The most normal people I know are second home owners who spend a few months in Spain. Similarly I decided to move out to Spain permanantly one rainy Nov night driving down the M1 or dumping a boy friend when I noticed his fingers where a bit puffy after a year :D

ladymuck
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ladymuck » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:09 pm

Its not only people worried about the housing market who return to the uk its the insecurity of knowing that anyone can do anything to you with no recourse. scary.
Many people say its better there than the uk everyone moans about the uk It really isnt bad at all except for the rules and regulationsbut apart from that cant see what the problem is and rules are made to be broken :lol:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Define "Happy."
Dave

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:06 pm

Deleted as it involves a sence of humour.

Jim Allen

laswalkirias
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby laswalkirias » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:44 pm

Thank god for the negative posters on this forum. I too have followed this forum for several years and tried a short spell of living in Spain full time and came running back to uk with nothing!!!!
I have learned from the "moaners" that Spain is absoloutely wonderful but that it is a minefield for any Brit without good spoken and written Spanish language skills.
I have learned from this forum that for the forseeable future it would not be wise to purchase property in Spain, however I fully intend to try again to move to Malaga City in the next 3 or 4 years and I will rent an appartment until it all goes wrong again and scurry back to uk.
The rose tinted spectacles have fallen but I still love the thought that shortly I will be back in Spain and for me there is no better place on earth to be than that little cafe watching the world and all its people passing you by on a warm and balmy evening, the eye candy is wonderful to behold for a sad old queen like me,whatever thankyou to ALL the moaners and whingers, you have opened my eyes and saved me thousands of pounds!!!!
I LOVE NEGATIVE POSTS
Dying to move to spain

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:38 pm

laswalkirias

Then again, it's only some posters' opinion. So far I'm extremely happy here - despite the negative aspects.
Dave

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:54 pm

yeah.. us too. could do with a bit more money, less awkwardness.. but thats life? everythings a challenge. if it was meant to be easy it´d be no fun :lolno:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:00 pm

I LOVED NEGATIVE POSTS ?
So you come to the "Im Happy in Spain Thread :crazy: "

Jim Allen

boblocksmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby boblocksmith » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:19 pm

I stole the following from an Australian forum - thought it might provoke / be of interest!! Clearly other forums have their own negative population!! :mrgreen:

I am fed up with posters who are negative, critical, or determined to be victims and insult others. I have had enough of the whingers and whiners who insist they are more "hardly done by" than any one else.

And I've had enough of those who talk about how lonely, sad, misunderstood or criticised they are - but will not allow anyone to befriend them.

I am no longer willing to comment on posts by people who are angry, aggressive, rude, insulting or just crude and rude.

I am tired of people who choose to take offense when no offense is offered to them. And of those who refuse to see that their own posts are offensive or abusive.

People who believe they are always right and everyone else is wrong bore me. I am irritated by those posters who criticise others without any knowledge of either the subject matter or the poster.

Trolls who visit sites where they are not members just to sight see and to give reign to their own negative and critical opinions are environmental pests.

And all those people who insist on enjoying their own misery and refusing to accept any well meant suggestions can be safe in the knowledge that I will be leaving them in peace to enjoy their self chosen miserable lives.

So from now on I'm going to:

ignore all trolls
ignore all negative posters
refuse to be drawn into other posters' anger or nastiness
refuse to "feed" those posters who like being victims
avoid those whose posts are judgemental, critical, insensitive, crass, crude, unfeeling or uninformed.
Instead I'm going to concentrate on sharing my thoughts, ideas, beliefs, insights and "aha!" moments with like minded posters.

I'm will avoid being judgemental and will be accepting and supportive.

I will try to offer comfort, support, advice and information when I feel I am able to do so. And I'll continue to seek these from other posters.

I'll share myself in the hope that others may benefit, as I have truly benefitted from those that have shared themselves.

I will not seek to solve anyone's problems - just to share what worked or did not work for me.

I will acknowledge the unique nature of each person and every situation. In doing so, I know that what is right for me may not be right for others.

I'm going to protect myself from toxic people so I can enjoy posting. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Boblocksmith - your australian poster is presumably only talking to himself! Half the fun is watching the arguments develop, and I'll admit to being in one looooooooooooooooong argument a while ago, but hey if everyone felt the same there would be no need for forums (fora?) Image
I can spell but I can't type

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Well that bit of philosophising sounds as if it came from the USA :mrgreen: Sometimes it may be difficult for a newbie to follow but a lot of it is friendly banter. We fall out get cross and now and again agree. It's a forum :wtf:

boblocksmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby boblocksmith » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:12 pm

"Sometimes it may be difficult for a newbie to follow - - - - -"

:thumbdown: a touch patronising - - - - ! Forums are not rocket science and yes of course friendly banter and disagreements are par for the course, :crazy: its just the constant moaning and viewing through rose tints that is frustrating.