IBI tax ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
10RDan
Resident

IBI tax ?

Postby 10RDan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:13 pm

Is there a way to check online re. outstanding IBI tax ? I have just received my bill for 2010 and it has reminded me that I didn't get a bill for 2009 !
thanks

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: IBI tax ?

Postby Enrique » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:02 pm

Hi 10RDan,
I see no one has come back on this .
Does your bill come out from Alcalá..............if so pop into the office.........I'll check the location out on Monday.
Normally the bills come out later in the year, for paying in September .
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

spaniola
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby spaniola » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:38 pm

Does your latest bill tell you which office it came from? If so you should be able to go and see if there is any outstanding years to pay. They do add to them if they're not paid on time.

I seem to remember each town is different, eg Martos residents pay in Martos, Santiago ones pay in Santiago.

Rachel
http://www.andaluciaexplorer.blogspot.com

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi

Just had to go to the Patronato de Recaudacion office in Ronda to sort out my car tax as my bank account had been embargoed for non-payment. (I had received no letter/request for payment, without which one cannot pay!)
Despite my poor language skills, the visit was most enlightening. IBI has to be paid (in Malaga province) by the 1st July and if you have received no bill, a visit to the nearest Patronato Office armed with your NIE number will, once entered on the computer, show what bills are outstanding and if you haven't received a bill, one will be printed off for you to pay at a participating bank.
My understanding of the language has limits but it appeared the funcionaria was also saying that an email enquiry with your NIE number would elicit a similar response with a copy bill sent back as an attachment.
I don't know where you live, but I have a list of the offices in Malaga province
nil illegitimum carborundum

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Not strictly true, well in Alhaurin El Grande anyway. The IBI is payable between 1st July -3rd September. If it's paid after this time then a 'fine' is imposed which I believe is a percentage of the original amount (20%?)
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:09 pm

You may well be correct, malagaman, in that it took them a year from the required date of payment of my car tax, to slap an embargo on my bank account, so I guess there is some sort of leeway, eben if not a full year. However, the "calendario fiscal 2010" that I have in front of me gives me the following cut-off dates:

Car Tax: 15 March

Basura (for those to whom it applies) : 30th April to 30th June (1st Semestre - whatever that is)

IBI: 1st July

IAE: 15th September.

In my case, and as a warning for those in a similar position, the car tax of 116 Euros (it varies from one town hall to another as well as with engine size/hp) had a 30 Euro fine added when they nicked it from my bank account.

For 10Rdan, the web page/site is www.prpmalaga.es

Incidentally, can anyone suggest how, when I can - and do - pay my car tax by cash at any participating bankthat suits me, the authorities managed to find my bank account and then embargo it?

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:28 pm

I had a similar problem with an embargo for unpaid car tax on a vehicle I had sold 18 months previously in the November but the vehicle was not registered to the new keeper until March the following year. I since found out that the car tax is payable by whoever is the registered keeper on the 1st January of the year it is due. This was down to a c*ck up by the dealer (long story !!)
As you point out all Town halls are different and I can only speak for the one who covers our bills.
As long as they have your name and NIE then the local authority will find your bank account and embargo it when the fancy takes them.

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:35 pm

BTW Trooperman you need to read the fiscal calender again as you have mis-read the dates.
Copied from your link

I.V.T.M (Impuesto sobre Vehículos de Tracción Mecánica)
March 15 - May 20
I.B.I (Impuesto sobre Bienes Inmuebles) y Tasas Anuales July 1 - September 10
I.A.E (Impuestos sobre Actividades Económicas) September 15 - November 19

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:34 am

Yeah! You're right.
Those were the issue dates.

Incidentally, and although I've been the registered owner of my land for 3 years (actually been there for 7 years but it took ages to get the paperwork done), when I enquired about paying IBI and stating that I didn't want a fine for non-payment as happened with the car, she printed off an IBI "bill" for zero euros saying it took "some time" for things to happen!

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:02 am

I know exactly what you mean. i have friends who have had their house built (totally legally with electricity, town water etc) for 5 years and still can't pay their IBI or water although they try every year. Their worry is that in the future they'll be presented with a humungous bill through no fault of their own. Spain hey, don't you just love it.

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:49 am

Okay, maybe someone can help me here... I've just been looking at my car papers re:car tax. I had assumed that it would magically disappear from my bank account like everything else seems to do here. Having dug out what I think is my last year's one, do I have to go into a bank and pay again or should I get some sort of "reminder" from Trafico? I think Abril is my month so as it's nearly over I had better move quick. Any help greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi jukim,
Here in Jaen area we get a "reminder". They have only just arrived for this year's "road tax" , have a spread from 31/03/2010 - 31/05/2010 to pay. Just take the form into a listed bank and pay.

The IBI comes later in the year..............with a spread of (last year) 3/09/2009 - 3/11/2009 to pay.

10RDan...........did you get your IBI sorted :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks Enrique :thumbup: much appreciated

alig99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alig99 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:59 pm

malagaman2005 wrote:I know exactly what you mean. i have friends who have had their house built (totally legally with electricity, town water etc) for 5 years and still can't pay their IBI or water although they try every year. Their worry is that in the future they'll be presented with a humungous bill through no fault of their own. Spain hey, don't you just love it.
We are just the same as your friends and full of worry as have tried to sort out our bill payments, and no I don't just love it! Spain I mean, I think its appalling behaviour for a country that is in the EU. Spain needs to seriously get its act together and not behave like I think a third world country does. I find it completely unacceptable that they can issue fines for their own inefficiency. I think these types of issues is something the EU should be sorting out. We are 80% of a mind to sell up having own our house in Spain for 3 years, but wonder if we are now in a Catch 22 situation as who is now stupid enough to buy in Spain with their attitude. We would just like some STRAIGHT FORWARD ANSWERS TO SOME STRAIGHT FORWARD QUESTIONS and give them money when correctly due :sick: :crazy:

Incidentally we have owned a property in France for 7 years and we have never had any fiscal problems. :crazy:

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:39 am

I don't think you're alone, alig99.

Every day we have to balance all those beautiful and wonderful things that surround us against the undoubted inefficiency, arrogance and ineptitude of Spanish government and business.

There are a number of issues placed before the European Parliament about Spain - the Valencia "land grab" laws - the Via Pecuaria land appropriations - the (supposedly) illegal buildings demolition -most of which will end in some form of "fudge" I suspect, but what you are complaining of is part of current culture and THAT will never be debated formally in the European Parliament.

I do not wish to establish a scapegoat or become an apologist, but one must never forget that Spain has only enjoyed 30+ years of democracy. I wonder what Britain was like in 1700, 30 years after the civil war? I'm sure it will change. But not, probably, in our lifetimes.

kerrymc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerrymc » Tue May 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi,

Has anyone been fined for not paying the IBI on time? I just checked my account and I've been charge 50 euros - garnishment charge. I contacted my bank and was told it was a fine for not paying the IBI tax this year. I'm not based in Spain and was planning to pay when I next go over but surely a lot of people are being caught out this way. The system seems to rely on memory as I've never actually received a bill or reminder.

Kerry

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Tue May 04, 2010 1:11 pm

Read the earlier posts.
If you don't receive a bill, that is deemed NOT to be the fault of the tax authorities and it is assumed that you should know when the IBI is issued and when it has to be paid by (1st July and 10th September respectively in Malaga province - probably different in other provinces) and thus YOU should go to the local tax office and request a copy bill if you don't receive one within this time frame.

As someone else remarked it is astonishing that the "customer" should be fined for the ineptitude and inefficiency of the tax and/or the postal authorities.

It was suggested to me that it may (my Spanish was not good enough to cope with the minutiae of what they were saying) be possible to receive the copy bill via an email attachment, which might resolve your problem.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Tue May 04, 2010 1:32 pm

kerrymc wrote:Hi,
I'm not based in Spain and was planning to pay when I next go over but surely a lot of people are being caught out this way. The system seems to rely on memory as I've never actually received a bill or reminder.

Kerry
The safest and surest way is to get a direct debit set up to pay the bill. Visit your local town hall next time you are over and they will set it up. then no worries! (except to make sure that there is enough money in your account!).
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

kerrymc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerrymc » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:15 am

Hi again,

Just back from Spain, where the ayuntamiento told me I had indeed been fined for not paying the 2009 IBI tax. I asked about setting up a direct debit but they told me I have to do this through my bank. My worry is that I have no docuements to take to my Spanish Bank to set this up. Does anyone know what sort of documentation I'm likely to need? The ayuntamiento is in Canillas de Aceituno.

Thanks,

Kerry

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:49 pm

We're in Archidona. so it may be different, but when we set up our IBI dirct debit a couple of years ago, we had to get a print out of our bank details from the bank, and then we took it to the Patronato de Recaudation office, where a very nice girl set it up !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)