Habitat - La Canada

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Habitat - La Canada

Postby alicia » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:49 am

Hi

Just doing up the old "Casa" and looking to buy new sofa. Was looking around Habitat - but just wondered if anyone had any experience of buying from them! I do like their furniture and have bought from them before, but of course, in UK. On most of their stuff here there is a 6-8 week wait and then they employ outside "Transportistas" to deliver to your home. But just a bit nervous of parting with hard earned "dosh" and then finding the delivery men swipe the goods. I know this sounds a bit paranoid but ........with the "crisis" you never know here.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Habitat - La Canada

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:17 am

I doubt you'll have problems with Habitat

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:34 am

I've had a few items from Habitat, no problems, and I doubt that you will have a problem with delivery, unless of course your 'Casa' is in a remote campo situation...

Have you also considered buying 'segundo-mano', plenty of really good quality furniture around at the moment from expats leaving Spain and more than likely to have been imported from Northern Europe.
May I suggest that you take a look at the various auctions, secondhand shops, charity shops and local press advertising, you could be pleasantly surprised...

Regards,
Gordon.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:35 am

not everyone's cup of tea ,but if you're on a budget consider Ikea.
If you're worried about delivery you can hire a van there as well.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:35 pm

Habitat is eye-wateringly expensive for pretty average quality, I think.

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:47 am

Hi

Thanks for responses. It does ease my mind a little. It´s just sometimes you do tend to worry about things more here. Yes, Habitat can as you rightly say sometimes be "eyewateringly expensive.....for average quality" but sometimes Spanish furniture is just as expensive for run of the mill stuff and below average quality so I feel a bit stuck between "rock and hard place..." although will check out "segundo mano" stuff as well. In an ideal world I would love to buy from my beloved "John Lewis" but it is too far away and transports costs kill it.

Thanks.

angelmouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Habitat - La Canada - delivery

Postby angelmouse » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:27 pm

Heard that their delivery is very expensive for one item such as a sofa. I know a dad at school that will pick up your furniture for you, reasonable charges and cheaper than Habitat delivering.PM me for his number if interested. He's based in Elviria....

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:58 pm

alicia wrote:Hi

Thanks for responses. It does ease my mind a little. It´s just sometimes you do tend to worry about things more here. Thanks.
There's no more reason to be worried here in Spain as in England.Spain's consumer laws are pretty strong
and many things you buy have a two year guarantee

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Have a look in Ikea.
It's not all cheapo rubbish there.
Spanish shops are ok if you're looking for a 1970's retro look and want to pay antique prices.
I know that when we were looking for furniture in Spanish shops it looked as if they'd raided the set of "George and Mildred"
Last edited by Nimrod on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:45 pm

A few years back Ikea bought Habitat. I don't know if they are owned by them though.

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Yes I heard that Habitat were part of Ikea although think have been bought out by someone else now.

I will defo have a look in Ikea. I do like their stuff but having to put flat pack furniture together doesnt thrill me and I like to move stuff about a lot (a bit of a woman thing) and so it invariably it doesnt last long. Good for students though.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:34 pm

If you're after sofas you won't have to put them together.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:46 pm

I worked for MFI for a bit, and their hidden tip was to use pva glue ("Cola para madera" in Spanish) on all the joints and dowels, not just put the stuff together dry - it really does help! There are few cabinet makers who do not glue joints, so mass-produced flatpack stuff could certainly use a bit of help!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi Nimrod,

That quip about "....furniture looked as if been raided from set of George & Mildred..." really made me laugh. Funnily enough I was talking with a Spanish friend the other day, who told me that he remembers that series being shown here on Spanish TV and he loved it. How strange is that.

Also, you were right about if I am buying sofas, glueing them together will not be a problem. Well, hopefully not.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:20 pm

Have you been to Sumobel in Malaga? We bought a sofa and chair from them and are very pleased with it. In stock and delivered the next morning in the campo. Delivery men were great.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:46 pm

alicia wrote:Hi Nimrod,

That quip about "....furniture looked as if been raided from set of George & Mildred..." really made me laugh. Funnily enough I was talking with a Spanish friend the other day, who told me that he remembers that series being shown here on Spanish TV and he loved it. How strange is that.
It was called "los Ropers" here in Spain.It used to be extremely popular here

aquaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aquaman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:07 pm

You could try Imperial I think they have a shop first floor La Canada, near Zara and one at the bottom of the Mijas Road, they have good deals at the moment on good quality furniture.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:37 pm

Some nice ones here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0lw5c5Q ... re=related

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:15 pm

George and Mildred/Spanish furniture

I wasn't wrong ,was I !?

Raquel
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Raquel » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:42 pm

hi How much is it to hire a van at Ikea? and is there a time restriction, and are the vans just in the car park? Do you need to be a resident to hire one?

Thanks