Voting in the UK election

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Voting in the UK election

Postby gronc » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:17 pm

What are your views on voting in the UK if you are resident in Spain or any other country?
Personaly I have been resident in Spain for 5 years and have severed all links with the UK exept for a bank account to pay my visa bill etc.
I have no interest in voting in the UK as I do not live there. Is it moraly right to do so if you are not resident?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Re: Voting in the UK election

Postby masterob » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:23 pm

I don't think it's a moral matter! Surely the decision depends on the degree of interest you have in the UK. From what you say, very little at the moment but you never know what the future holds. Like all those who opt not to vote, no use complaining about the colour of the Government should you ever need them!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:30 am

I think it's worth bearing in mind that whatever your views on Spain (or anywhere else) as an "expat" I detest that stupid word, if you live in Spain for fifty years, speak fluent Spanish you will never, ever be Spanish.
Ah! the full english!!

gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gronc » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 am

But If I have no intention of returning to live in the UK, what difference is it to me what the colour of the government is, its not going to affect me, so why would I complain.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:36 am

Indeed, infact why bother to come on here and write about your "dilemma" :wtf: Just aim to get spanish citizenship and vote in Spain.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:20 am

A lot of people had no intention of returning to the UK,circumstances dictated otherwise.
You can never say never.
If you've got a vote,I say use it.
There are millions all over the World who would like the right.

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:36 pm

If you do become resident in Spain, what do you have to do to be able to carry on voting in UK elections.

Am not sure.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:25 pm

by gronc on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:04 am

But If I have no intention of returning to live in the UK, what difference is it to me what the colour of the government is, its not going to affect me, so why would I complain.
I likewise have no intention of returning to the UK but I am Voteing.

I am hopeing that the UK government are going to pay me a decent pension in 4 years time, after all I have paid UK national insurance tax all my working life.
Ann

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:56 pm

alicia wrote:If you do become resident in Spain, what do you have to do to be able to carry on voting in UK elections.

Am not sure.
You can vote for 15 years after your last entry on the electoral register in the UK. You can apply for a postal vote to the place where you were last registered.

I think the deadline for a postal vote has passed though but a proxy vote is possible.

Moe info at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentc ... /DG_073241

Sid

gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gronc » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:43 pm

katy wrote:Indeed, infact why bother to come on here and write about your "dilemma" :wtf: Just aim to get spanish citizenship and vote in Spain.
Katy. I just asked for comments thats all. I have no dilemma. Why are you so rude, I dont know you and you dont know me, why dont you treat people with a little courtesy. If you dont have something constructive to say , dont say anything.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:58 pm

I do want to vote, but have just found out I won't be in in the UK 6th May so trying to arrange proxy vote. Has to be done by Tuesday but haven't been able to get onto aboutmyvote site all afternoon!!
At this rate I may not get a vote :roll:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:33 pm

Gronc I didn't think I was being rude...you asked the question and I just pointed out (more or less) why ask. Of course legally you are allowed to vote but as you say if we are analysing the morals..WTF should anyone who states they have severed all links vote? your concerns are obviously different to people who live a day to day life in the UK. I really don't understand what your point is :?

gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gronc » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:45 pm

Katy, I dont understand your point either. I didnt ask what the views of people who live day to day in the UK are, so why be sarcastic, there seems to be quite a lot of that on this forum. Yes I have severed links, so have others who still vote. I support democracy but what is the point of voting in the UK if you dont live there?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:13 pm

I haven't lived in the UK since 2004 but I still have an interest in what's happening there because both the State Pension and my work Pension are paid from there. What the UK Government does is therefore very relevant. It's got nothing to do with where I live. So, yes I will be voting.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:07 am

Has anyone who's registered for a postal vote as an overseas elector here in Spain received their voting paperwork yet? I've not.

allgram
Resident

Postby allgram » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:22 am

No voting papers arrived yet,in Competa anyway, and only 8 days to go........... what can you do ? Nothing eh! allgram.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:42 pm

My son has only this morning received his postal voting papers and he lives in the UK.

However that would suggest that expatriate voters will receive theirs during the next day or so, but they will need to be returned immediately if they are going to stand any chance of arriving in time for the deadline.. :problem: It will be possible...but only just. !
Regards,
Gordon

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:26 pm

I collected my Voting Pack at the Correos this morning. Completed it there and then and it will be on it's way back today. It was posted last Friday from Hammersmith, West London where I'm registered. I don't know if that makes a difference? Does all Overseas Mail from the UK go via London, if so, that could add a day I guess?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:14 pm

Mine arrived today!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:49 pm

If you are eligible to vote in the UK and haven't decided which party to vote for, then have a look at:-
http://www.votematch.org.uk/2010/index.php

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris