Sleep Deprivation

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Sleep Deprivation

Postby BENIDORM » Sat May 15, 2010 8:06 am

The other day a friend of mine rang to 'pick my brains' on how to tackle noisy neighbours.

He lives ,with his wife, in a nice 2 bed-roomed apartment on the Costa del Sol, and has been there for 6 years, and up to about 12 months ago they enjoyed a good quiet life there.
However new neighbours moved in next door, and from day one their lifestyle has been totally disrupted with constant noise, hassle etc.
They did try to make allowances in the beginning, thinking that everything would settle down, but if anything it has got worse, with constant parties etc , which can go on for three days..
My friends are very reasonable people who are easy-going people who would never normally complain, but they are now becoming quite neurotic , constantly on edge waiting for the next session of noise abuse.
They have tried to speak to the neighbours, who said they would keep the noise at a reasonable level, but have just carried on as before.
So he wanted some advice from me about what they could do, legally or any other suggestions.
But I have never lived in an apartment in Spain, apart, that is from when on holiday, which I think is quite different to living permanently in one.
I have lived in flats in UK and did at one time have 'problem neighbours', and it took about 4 months to resolve the situation, but with the help of the local council we were successful in restoring our peace.

I wondered if local Spanish town halls would assist them, or any other organisation ?

Have any members had any experience of similar problems, and if so can they suggest the best course of action to take ?

When my friend was 'reeling off' the list of 'incidents', it did make me wonder if any of my neighbours consider us to be noisy...we don't have all-night parties etc...but...for instance when my wife is in our kitchen it sounds like practice session for a learners Salvation Army percussion band, how she manages to 'clatter' so many pots and pans has always amazed me, and 'washing up'...well it is like attending a Greek Wedding...... :oops: .

Anyway..if anyone has any advice that I could pass on to my friends, I would be very grateful...

Regards,
Gordon.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: Sleep Deprivation

Postby julian » Sat May 15, 2010 8:46 am

everytime they are making noise after midnight call the local police.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat May 15, 2010 10:46 am

Julian

Correct. Phone the police and ask them to do a decibel check.
Dave

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat May 15, 2010 11:21 am

the police in frigiliana decibel checked my gfs place, the neibour upstairs had complained, but shes only got a small stereo - it was well within limits.

oh, and did you know, its now illegal to make noise between 2 and 4 or something? lunchtime? even things like putting a noisy washing machine on can land you in trouble / get a fine :wtf: :wtf:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat May 15, 2010 11:26 am

"lunchtime" no.."siesta" time !!
I think it depends on the local , municipal , law.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat May 15, 2010 11:38 am

Living in the deepest campo isn't everyone's cup of tea but I am thankfull every day we don't have neighbours.

Noise is one of the perils of moving to Spain.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat May 15, 2010 11:39 am

si senor julian, el tiempo de siesta ;)

sorry, thought we wernt allowed to speak in spanish on here :think: :think: i was refering to it "like wot we english peoples do" :wink: :wink:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat May 15, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi Spanish lad
Siesta is a word in the English language. Imported from Spanish.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat May 15, 2010 7:23 pm

Yes.. Thanks..
I did think about suggesting police involvement, but my friends are a little worried about making matters worse than they are,and they don't like the idea of making enemies and creating vendettas.

Very difficult situation for them, they really don't know what to do for the best, I think that they will be dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.!
Trouble is, I think, is that other races/cultures have different ideas about noise, they don't seem to think that they are being unreasonable, but the noise goes on all day and night, from what my friend tells me.
To be honest I think that if they could ,they would move, but what to ?..They could have the same situation again, or they would have to sacrifice their easy access to amenities if they moved to a rural location.. :problem:

We live in a town house in a village, ok sometimes it can get a little noisy , but in general we are lucky that we do have very considerate neighbours..
I doubt that anyone is ever going to get a perfect solution...or does someone know differently ?

We are lucky , if our neighbours are having a party they invite us...if you can't beat them..better to join them.. :lol:
Regards,
Gordon

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat May 15, 2010 7:31 pm

To be honest I think that if they could ,they would move, but what to ?..
Why on earth should they move? It's the neighbours who are being unreasonable. Are the new neighbours renting or have they bought? If they've bought, your friends could have this hassle for the rest of their lives. Tell them to sort it out now. They should inform the neighbours that unless the noise is reduced, they'll have no alternative but to contact the authorities. If it's an apartment there should be a community of owners. Inform the president.

If they are renting, tell the owner about the noise. It may be he isn't declaring the income so he'll want to get it sorted out asap. Inform him you'll be getting in touch with the Ayuntamiento and possibly hacienda. That should sort out the bu66er. Best of luck.
Dave

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sat May 15, 2010 7:50 pm

Gordon - Why not go to visit your friend and find out first hand the amount of noise. As you said different people have different ideas about noise. It is possible that your friends idea of excessive noise is the one that is mistaken. Independent verification is really the answer. Then there will be a witness to the problem (?).
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat May 15, 2010 8:30 pm

the combination of spanish living next door to brits often causes problems..spain is the second noisiest country in the world, so spanish living next to brits , who tend to be scared to say boo to a mouse, is the recipe for disaster..... what noise is "reasonable"? taking into account we are in Spain.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Sat May 15, 2010 8:47 pm

two completely incompatible cultures!!

We just had spanish neighbours renting on our Urb. It starts with the teenage children coming home in the early hours of the morning, car stereos on full belt, doors slamming,then followed by the mother and young children running around screaming at each other from about 6.30 a.m. before rounding them up to go to school. Then father and children come home for siesta/lunch - more loud stereos, car doors slamming, horns tooting etc. Then silence until 4 :P then children running around the street screaming until called for dinner, mother has TV on full volume with all the windows open until about 11.00p.m.

Dont even mention SUnday!!!! all the relatives around double parking in front of our garages, TV on full volume from 9.00a.m. music blaring from another room at 100 db... then then all sit on the patio screaming at full volume until they leave at about 10.00 p.m.

Where as the Brits are sitting on their balconies silently "tutting"...

Its never going to work. :thumbdown:

p.s. did I mention all the dogs left outside the house barking 24/7...

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat May 15, 2010 11:02 pm

Mowser..You are right..Why should They Move !!..I said that to them..

And Jawg, that is a good point, however I do think I'm getting 'dragged' more and more into their situation, I'm happy to give my advice and opinions, but it worries me that if they act on my advice then I'm 'responsible' if the situation gets worse...

If it was happening to me, I would probably confront the neighbours and tell them that if they don't start being reasonable then I would take whatever action necessary to sort it out..
Well actually I wouldn't probably say it like that to their faces, there would probably be a few 'F' words flowing, :oops:

It is very true that Spanish people are generally rather loud, and I don't think that they realize that they are really upsetting anyone, and of course it is their country.....

My friends aren't young and I think that perhaps they are getting themselves into a real ' state', and are suffering .....difficult situation for me...knowing what to advice.. :?

I think I'll 'sleep on it'..and give them a call tomorrow......

Regards,
Gordon..

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun May 16, 2010 8:30 am

this sounds as if it may be six of one and half a dozen of another !!!

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun May 16, 2010 9:33 am

Hi Samizdat

I see your location is now "near San Pedro", which is where we used to be. We like San Ped. How about you? There's a sleepy little village towards Estepona called Cancelada. Couple of nice restaurants there.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun May 16, 2010 11:02 am

Well I woke up this morning with a possible solution to my friends problem. :)

I have telephoned them and suggested that they enlist the help of their Spanish neighbours on their other side.
I know that they get on really well with them, and maybe if this other couple could chat with the culprits, then an amicable solution might be achieved...Better I think that a third party be involved and of course they are Spanish ..so fingers crossed.!

I also suggested that my friends get away for a holiday for a few weeks, perhaps that would help them to 'chill out' a little...

Julian, I don't think that it is a 6 of one and half a dozen of the other situation, my friends are usually very reasonable people, however I do think that they have let the situation get on top of them...

And as Samizdat so rightly points out...'Two completely incompatible cultures''....

Regards,
Gordon

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun May 16, 2010 11:17 am

I also suggested that my friends get away for a holiday for a few weeks
They could always put a radio on a timer. Ensure it's tuned to an annoying loud channel.
Set it to come on about 3:00am and off at 3:30am.
Back on at 4:00am and off at 4:30am etc etc.
Ensure the speakers are flush against the wall and pointing in the neighbours' direction.
Dave

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun May 16, 2010 1:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: ..Mowser....Now there's a thought !.....

pietree
Resident

Postby pietree » Sun May 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Have any other neighbours complained?

Just wondering if above or below, or other side has the same problems.
Thats it for now