How Are The Animal Rescue Centres Coping ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

How Are The Animal Rescue Centres Coping ?

Postby BENIDORM » Sat May 22, 2010 11:19 pm

So many Expats have left Spain, and I am well aware of the effect that it has had on businesses that have been relying on support from the Expat community...

But I wonder what effect it has had on the various Animal Rescue Centres etc. ?

I do know of several which have been operating on a shoe-string budget before the mass exodus of expats.
So how are they coping now ?...It must be even more difficult...More animals to look after..Less volunteers...Less Funds....
And of course I know many of the remaining expats would like to help with funding...but money is so tight with many people...So what is going to happen ?

I would hate to think that healthy animals would have to be put down because of the situation. :(

I wonder what the answer is ?

Regards,
Gordon

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: How Are The Animal Rescue Centres Coping ?

Postby katy » Sat May 22, 2010 11:42 pm

Yes, it is so, so sad. Read this a few days ago

http://www.diariosur.es/v/20100517/marb ... 00517.html

One of our dogs was from ADANA in Estepona, she is 15 now and showing her age. The only solution is mass neutering and better education regarding pet responsibilites. I often think about the cats who lived beside our nearest rubbish skip. Last year myself and two german friends managed to trap 6 and get them neutered including a Tom. Hopefully there will be less kittens this year. Used to break my heart when I saw a new batch emerge. Would have brought all of them back if I could :(

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun May 23, 2010 8:14 am

Well,after having just adopted my dog from a home,we got chatting to the guy who runs the shelter where we got her from.He told us he has 600plus dogs...numerous cats,and a horse.
Most of these animals have come from Brits that are returning to UK,and have either dumped them or brought them to the shelter.
The guy,Peter is from Holland and he said people from Holland are the ones who donate money to keep all of his shelters going.A lot of the dogs get adopted and get shipped off to Holland for a new life.
The guy also said he runs an antique shop and that also helps fund the homes.
He said it costs a euro a day to feed each dog.600 euros a day~4,200 Euros a week! and that is just for the La Linea shelter.He gets no help from the government whatsoever,he relys on the public for help.He also pays a security guard to guard the shelter at night.and i think he said he pays 5/6 staff too,so he also has wages to pay out.
Its a disgrace he gets no help.He keeps the streets clear of strays,and gets no help whatsoever for it.
The morning after i adopted my dog,he telephoned to see how she was as he was worried about the reaction with my other dogs.How nice is that.He really does care about the animals,its not just a quick get rid and move some more in.Hes a really lovely genuine guy.The work he does is amazing.I feel Privileged to have been able to help him out.He even gave me two lots of frontline to give my other dogs at home as the new girl was riddled with fleas.We asked him "How much" he said nothing.So i shoved 20Euros in his hand.
Its been a lovely experience adopting my new daughter.just keeping everything crossed that it works out.One thing i do know,she wont be going back to the shelter if it doesnt,He doesnt need another mouth to feed and she doesnt need to be back in there either :wink:

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sun May 23, 2010 8:27 am

I dream of winning the lottery so that I can help the animal charities. I would buy a home for us and leave some money in the bank, but would share the bulk of it so I can could change the lives of folk like Peter. I couldn't do their job as I'm too emotional and would certainly bring them all home :(

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 23, 2010 8:35 am

I think I know this guy, did he used to sell old Dutch antiques in Sabanillas market? The Dutch really are true dog lovers, I used to visit Den Haag several times a year when family lived there and almost everyone has a dog. One dog from ADANA was adopted by a couple in Germany who live in a Castle.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun May 23, 2010 8:37 am

I couldn't do their job as I'm too emotional
Now i think that living in spain has hardened me and the way i feel about stray animals.When i lived in UK i didnt really see stray dogs running about,since living in Spain its a regular daily thing and you do get used to seeing them. :(
Having been quite a few times to the shelter and really had a good look at the way things are run....the dogs are in clean kennels,they have somewhere to sleep,clean water,food and shade.I saw helpers also giving out chews to the dogs.....so it isnt all about feeding and thats it...
I would love to do Peters job but it would make me despise the human race.

http://www.animalinneed.com/index.php?o ... =1&lang=en

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun May 23, 2010 8:38 am

I think I know this guy, did he used to sell old Dutch antiques in Sabanillas market?
Katy,im not sure,possibly he did :? Hes a well built guy,biker looking with a beard and possibly a pony tail.Really really lovely friendly man. :thumbup:

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Sun May 23, 2010 9:09 am

There are loads of photos on the website and there are several photos in which he appears. I think his name might be Peter Koekebakker
Lots of videos on Youtube
Here's one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdtZM26oeCs

We support Chain by giving a % of our profit from our bookstall at Trapiche, Kim's Animal Rescue by donating items for her stall at the Sunday market at La Trocha and AID get our 1c and 2c coins.
Every little helps.

Hardly a week goes by without Kim having to deal with an abandoned dog or puppy/puppies at the market.

CHAIN run a scheme to neuter cats and dogs called Vet in a Van.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun May 23, 2010 11:08 am

That is his name Avellana,he commented on our surname and said his translated into cake baker in English...Youve got the right guy! :thumbup:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun May 23, 2010 12:30 pm

[quote="princess peach"],''he commented on our surname'' :[/quote]

Yes ...Princess...'Peach' is an unusual surname...... :lol:

Some interesting facts etc.everyone..!

And Yes , I do agree that the Dutch/Flemish people are caring about animals, however in defence of the Brits , I do have to say that it is much easier to take pets back to their countries than it is for Brits wanting to take their pets back to UK.
After all , non-Brits can basically just put their pets in their cars and drive off !

I do know of several returning Brits who have really been 'heart-broken' at having to leave their animals behind, but their cash crisis has not left them with little choice..Having said that , I think I would have to sell my gold teeth , rather than leave my 'Rasta the Dog' behind. :)
I really don't know how many of these centres are managing to carrying on, and I'm aware that they are mostly now overrun with pets...
I wish I could do more to help them, I always try to donate some money or leave a few tins of food for them, when I see a collection point.
Regards,
Gordon

gente
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gente » Sun May 23, 2010 2:59 pm

Pad(proteccion animales domesticos) in Mijas is now on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pag ... 0934659799 you can find out what is happening at pad ,see lots of happy endings Please come and join us on Facebook! . Yes it has been a tough year, More dogs abandoned, less funding available and less adoptions and also a long wet winter , support however small ,dogwalking,attending a function,donation of bric a brac e.t.c is always gratefully recieved and goes toward saving lives of our little furry friends :thumbup:

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sun May 23, 2010 7:24 pm

"I do know of several returning Brits who have really been 'heart-broken' at having to leave their animals behind, but their cash crisis has not left them with little choice.." This makes me :evil: . It only takes a little planning as we can see the money disappearing before our very eyes so I feel that animals are the last thing on their minds. Don't get me wrong, I rehomed my Irish setter but I did bring him back with me to the UK and found him a better home where he goes for long walks and is much loved (I still get emails and photos :( ). I didn't just dump my animals and they were top of the list of the arrangements to get back. Do you know how many animals and people you can fit in a Land Rover Freelander?

3 adults, 1 kid, 2 big dogs, 1 chihuahua and 1 old cat!!

boblocksmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby boblocksmith » Mon May 24, 2010 12:50 am

The rescue centres do a wonderful job and no doubt many returning Brits exacerbate the problem of unwanted pets. But it seems to me that until the Spanish people perhaps more so in rural Spain develop different attitudes to animals then there will remain dogs roaming and uncared for even in ownership. Only through education and cultural change which will no doubt take generations will any changes take place. We have Spanish neighbours who are friendly, generous etc etc but nevertheless keep a large dog tethered outside on a short rope and feed it odd scraps of revolting mush and cooked chicken bones which is highly dangerous. Another respectable neighbour owns a shop in the town and has a country house, leaves one of his dogs roaming around looking for scraps to eat at nearby houses- the dog wears a collar with extremly sharp nails protruding aparently so if he gets into a fight he will come off best. A close neighbour has 3 dogs unkempt flee ridden etc and one has filthy tangled hair so long he cant see. All these owners are "respectable" neighbours who see no problem but - then cruelty to animals (including bullfighting) is so ingrained into their psyche that it will take a long time to change - more's the pity. :thumbdown:
Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon May 24, 2010 11:06 am

Attitudes are changing but not fast enough. I read in the news last week that a man came home from work in a bad mood (Málaga City) so he threw his dog off the fourth floor balcony :evil: Not only that the animal lay alive for a couple of hours before CAS the animal charity came to collect it. They were unable to save it due to it's injuries. I just don't understand how the neighbours could leave it in agony all that time :evil:

I did see though that about 20 comments were such as "they should throw the man off the balcony" something they wouldn't have bothered to comment on a few years ago, infact it wouldn't even have made the news!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue May 25, 2010 7:01 am

here´s another one that should be thrown off the balcony(preferably from a higher floor)

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2010/05/2 ... 24&numero=

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Tue May 25, 2010 8:36 pm

:sick: