Inundated with red spider mites

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Inundated with red spider mites

Postby princess peach » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:28 pm

We are infested with Red Spider Mites.they are everywhere.I dont think they do much damage,just wonder if anyone else has them.My neighbours are also infested.Ive lived in my house for 3 years and have never seen so many :thumbdown:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Inundated with red spider mites

Postby Miro » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:44 pm

I don't think they're spider mites, but we've got loads of flying redish brown insects that look more like some type of ant. We had the community treated by Nigel of NPS last month, and the blighters seem to be dying pretty soon after landing here, so it seems to be working. Very thorough and professional job. :thumbup: (Is that allowed? I'm not connected in any way, just a satisfied customer.)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:46 am

princess peach wrote:We are infested with Red Spider Mites.they are everywhere.I dont think they do much damage,just wonder if anyone else has them.My neighbours are also infested.Ive lived in my house for 3 years and have never seen so many :thumbdown:
Are they really tiny and if squashed against white go bright orange? We had them for a few weeks every summer. Never in the house but the 2nd floor terraces were covered with millions. I always wondered if they lived in the baulestrades. Used to put down ant powder.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:43 pm

IF ... they are spider mites, they are quite resistant to most anti-bug stuff. About the only thing that kills them is Alcohol. The Sanitorio stuff not best wisky or gin - thats not strong enough. The would think you were throwing them a party and they would bring their mates.
if you have a garden pump type sprayer put a couple of bottles of alcohol sanitorio in it and spray them where you can. DO NOT SPRAY ON ANY PLANTS !!!
Spindermites really like warm and above all very dy conditions - If you can increase the moisture level it will persuade them to go next door - then they are not your problem - simplez
Personally I dont think they will be spider mites since they tend to live by drawing sap from plants.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:13 pm

They are spider mites,ive googled it.They do not fly and when squashed, leave red dye on the walls.They are all over the terrace and second floor,and all over ground level walls outside the house.Havent seen any in the plants,mainly on walls and terrace floors :?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:51 pm

Yes they sound the same as we had. Don't worry they will be gone in a couple of weeks. An ordinary fly spray keeps them down but you may need a few cans :)

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:54 am

OK Katy,thanks very much. :thumbup:

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Red spider mites are almost microscopic - you cant really see them. You usually only find out when the Plant host starts to suffer. they sund very mush like a few nest of red spiders have hatched at the same time.
In that case a good quality antibug will see the back of then quite well.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Frontline will get rid of them, expensive, but very effective !
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.