Today's strike (8th June)

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Today's strike (8th June)

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:21 pm

BBC News reports a claim by union leaders that the strike received 75% support but other reports suggest that there has been little disruption in schools, hospitals or government offices.

So, there lies the answer to Spain's budget deficit. Sack the 75% that went on strike and give a 5% pay rise to the remaining 25% to work a shade harder.
Let's go Brandon!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Today's strike (8th June)

Postby country boy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:42 pm

I was pondering how, exactly, you could tell when a civil servant was working to rule like the Guardia were meant to be doing today?

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:47 pm

Its bankers that caused this crisis, bankers, greedy bludy bankers. Why oh why do we do nothing but implement changes that negatively effect workers. The workers of the world should unite and get our Governments to understand that they cannot blame us, by raising our taxes and lowering our pay. Even pensioners are having their income effected by these measures.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:58 pm

could anyone explain something quite simple to me?

if not so long ago everyone had work and money in whatever part of europe or in the in the USA,and now no one, and no governments have any money..then where is all the money? (apart from under katy´s mattress of course).

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:33 pm

If cash is in overpriced assets then thats one reason :wtf:

I like the bit about a 5% increase for those that work harder
I am surpised that anyone noticed any civil servants strike action in the Malaga.
The last I heard was one was at his desk for a week.He was dead but no one noticed

Jim Allen

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:56 pm

I bet the cafeterias didn´t do much business this morning !!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:59 pm

julian wrote:could anyone explain something quite simple to me?

if not so long ago everyone had work and money in whatever part of europe or in the in the USA,and now no one, and no governments have any money..then where is all the money? (apart from under katy´s mattress of course).
That is something I don't understand...where does it go. When they say billions have been wiped off the stock exchange it has to be somewhere. If I sell shares the money goes into my bank account so it's still in circulation. I think maybe a lot of the money wasn't there in the first place :crazy:

Julian the proceeds from my spanish sale is tucked up comfortably in a warm tropical place :wink:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:07 pm

good decision katy !!

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Katy - is that not uncomfortable?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:32 pm

I wonder if its in the same place as mine, Katy? :wink:
Let's go Brandon!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:53 pm

My Spanish friends don't appear to have too much sympathy with the strikers, they think that they are already on a good number, so shouldn't be complaining, having said that, It was like a fiesta day in Adra today, the town was so quite, must be more public workers here than otherwise Lol !!!
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:04 pm

No police and no Guardia anywhere today in my area........absolutely none....lovely to drive without seeing endless paperwork spot checks.......

It is a good question though - UK 770 billion in debt? Who got rich on it? Cash is not cash if it is tied up in assets, maybe the old spanish knew a thing or two, holes in mattresses and wait for the next crash then make a killing

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Julie wrote:My Spanish friends don't appear to have too much sympathy with the strikers, they think that they are already on a good number,
Just come from my Spanish class and our teacher was talking about the same thing, basically it's a job for life, and it's practically unheard of one being sacked, no matter how bad they are! No wonder they study "oposiciones" so hard, a couple of hard years study, then sit back for the rest of your working life. :D Their argument, if you can call it that, is that whilst during the boom years when people like bricklayers etc were earning great money, their money never went up, and when times are hard they have to take a 5% cut in wages. :lolno: As I argued, they still have a job, and if they don't like it, they can leave and get a job elsewhere. My teacher,from Valladolid, said I'd get lynched if I said that in Madrid! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:12 pm

"My teacher,from Valladolid, said I'd get lynched if I said that in Madrid! "

unless you are standing in a room full of civil cervants you´re more likely to get a round of applause for saying that in Madrid.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:59 pm

I was chatting with a state school teacher this afternoon and she was angry with the attitude of the strikers. I think there is an air of realism but not all understand the importance of change.
PS My wife is a public worker and didn't strike.She says that the unions are the most corrupt of all in Spain if that's possible

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:47 am

Jool wrote:No police and no Guardia anywhere today in my area........absolutely none....lovely to drive without seeing endless paperwork spot checks.......

It is a good question though - UK 770 billion in debt? Who got rich on it? Cash is not cash if it is tied up in assets, maybe the old spanish knew a thing or two, holes in mattresses and wait for the next crash then make a killing
The simple answer is all the retired civil servants who wangled final salary related pensions (who are now living in Spain :silent: ) - and are now getting almost as much between them as the NHS does.
(source; Newsnight, 9-Jun NHS budget for 2010 £119Bn, Public service pension budget: £115Bn)

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:33 am

But what are the numbers, NHS versus retired civil servants?
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:41 am

"No police and no Guardia anywhere today in my area........absolutely none"

maybe we had your bunch over here, they were out and about here yesterday, they are not allowed to strike

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:08 pm

pete_l wrote:
The simple answer is all the retired civil servants who wangled final salary related pensions (who are now living in Spain ) - and are now getting almost as much between them as the NHS does.
(source; Newsnight, 9-Jun NHS budget for 2010 £119Bn, Public service pension budget: £115Bn)
I'm afraid your simple conclusion is simply naive (ignorant would be too impolite a word :( ) because the Public Service Pension budget includes all public sector workers (Armed Forces, police, local authority workers, teachers, doctors, nurses etc) not just Civil Servants. That said, as a retired Civil Servant living in Spain and, seemingly in your eyes, getting as much in pension payments as parts of the NHS are funded, all I can say is "oh dear, envy is such an unpleasant trait". :roll:

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:42 pm

It's not the poor civil servants that should have a 5% pay cut, but the fat cats that are at the top as in the UK. I have never agreed with strikers no matter what the cause - if they go on strike, sack them - there are enough unemployed people to take their place. (Well as long as they are legitimate!!)