what was 'un batan'? Rio Higueron

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: what was 'un batan'? Rio Higueron

Postby julian » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:57 am

let´s hope it doesn´t turn out that it was was where a guy called Paco Batan used to live, after all this investigation !!!!

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:37 am

Update on Batán.

An arabic-speaking neighbour of mine discussed this with me.
There are two arabic word that may have been mangled over the years into spanish.

Watán (pronounced Whatán), which is the arabic word for "Nation".

Batál, which is arabic for "Free" (gratis)

The local librarian reckons that there was paper made there in the 19th century but there is no remains of the structure other than the Pozo.

Lost in the history, I'm afraid.
Whatever the original meaning of the Pozo Batán, there is no one alive now who remembers.
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:49 am

Got this from the Internet

'Esta interesante palabra, se designa tanto para nombrar a un edificio como a una máquina destinada a usos textiles'

Also looking at the word it seems that the word is similar and is used in a similar way to our word batter.
The Spanish version being 'abatanar', a synonym being 'golpear'.
It's only a theory but it might help.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:44 am

As it is cold, wet and windy in London today, I have been messing about on the internet trying to find out more about papel estraza and batanes ... and stumbled across a long and fascinating article about the paper mills in Mijas from 1700s ... if you are interested go to 'The Library of Iberian Resources Online' and search for 'La Industria Papelera de Mijas en tiempos de la Industrializacion Malaguena', download as pdf.

This article also refers to a book published in 1998 by the University of Malaga entitled 'Los batanes papeleros de Malaga y su provincia' ... which I will order from Yerma in Velez when I am back in early October.

The next edition of the Green party newsletter is due out at the end of this month ... hope to pick up some info re local paper mills then too.