Are Spanish Forums Dying

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: Are Spanish Forums Dying

Postby Jool » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Jim - why do you bother? There is only one "expert" on Marbella and that is Julian, he lives in the little known, and largely invisible suburb known as Smugville, where everyone whose name begins with the letter J gets everything 100% right all the time. When challenged Smugville-ites are renowned for their sarcasm, "witty" retorts and attempts one up-manship. " If you are unfortunate enough not to live in Smugville then expect little sympathy as you are clearly in the wrong place or exuding the wrong energy.....ok? :wink:

PS - posted to lighten this up. So many issues that could be a good debate between lots of members end up as just two way or bitter acrimony

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:29 pm

If you take your own tablecloth with you do they still charge 2 smackers? :think:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:54 am

Julian
I thought that was a very positive post and meant to try to put a positive stance here. :wave:
Yes the area has had problems but it looks positive for the future.
Clearly as can be seen we can read into what we want and not issue is and why it was posted.

Regards
Jim

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:06 am

Devils Advocate wrote:If you take your own tablecloth with you do they still charge 2 smackers? :think:
Youll get 4 smackers and those will around the ear :D
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:08 am

while you´re here Jim, I just called a removal company for a quote, I explained about the nightmare of living in marbella and that people are apparantly getting ripped off regularly, there is crime etc etc and that I need to move asap
I gave him details of the approx amount of stuff to be taken, all details taken etc, then the guy aked me a question I had overlooked, he asked me where I wanted the stuff taken to.............that threw me, could you suggest a country that doesn´t have crime, doesn´t have any up market expensive restaurants to avoid be ripped off in etc etc, any ideas?
I did ask the guy on the phone, but he laughed at me, he even had the cheek to suggest I stay in marbella and only go to the restaurants that have a price I am happy with...idiot !! I´m thinking of denouncing him for that stupid suggestion.
I might be starting a new thread to ask for advice on how to denounce someone, I´m sure someone here has some experience and knowledge on that front.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:18 am

Why only Spanish forums?

When paid forum posting is such a big global business now the problem is not knowing whether another poster is genuine or just another paid forum poster.

Evidence of them are everywhere on every forum I look at now.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:43 am

paid forum posting is such a big global business now
Really? Most forums have anti advertising policies so how can this possibly work?

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:44 am

Re: Are Spanish Forums Dying?

I hope not.
I placed an company advert on here on the strenght of the forum and its placing on the Google front page when one types in any Andalucía related stuff in the search box.

It is one of the better forums around for general information about living in Spain.
I usually use TypicallySpain for spanish News in english which I find really hard to find.
I would read El Paid or El Mundo if my Spanish was better.

I would love to see more Spanish national news discussed on the forum. My language skills are limited to English and about B2 level spanish but I subscribe Der Speigel the german newspaper in english and France24 the french news in english.
I'd love to see an el Pais in English but I dont think it'll happen.
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

lenox
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lenox » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:46 am

I tend to wander around six or eight forums, prefering some to others and then back again. My favourite ones from a few years ago have gone quiet and others evolve or start to get interesting. The ones that stick to Spain tend to attract me more than ones about how Muslim women are mistreated in Saudi Arabia. Since the free newspapers (Olive Press excepted) don't reflect our society in any meaningful way (beyond spaying feral cats and getting a good nail extension), I think that we need to keep the forums going.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:08 am

Jool wrote:
Really? Most forums have anti advertising policies so how can this possibly work?

Google........... paid forum posting..........
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:11 am

Bongtrees wrote:
Jool wrote:

Is that what they call Trolling now???

That must be a nightmare for administrators to suss out.
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:13 am

I thought that was only for adverts etc alongside the forum topics not actually ON them?

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:18 am

They´re definitely dying because most people (Scandinavians & Russians excepted) aren´t interested in moving anywhere at the moment due to the current uncertainty with the economy. The only Brits that may be interested in Spain are investors who are slowly picking up some bargains and I´m pretty sure they´re not interested in reading about how expensive a tablecloth may be.

Oh add to that the constant negativity, cliquey groups and the fact that people like to moan, I think it´s safe to say that expat forums have a short life indeed!

Oh and lenox, The Olive Press is to taken seriously... are you for real? It´s a load of tree hugging liberal pap full of utter nonense!! At least your nemesis writes a paper full of news :roll:

Oh and Marbella (perhaps I live in Smugville too as I don't experience the things that someone who met someone whos brother knows someone that once told them a story about guy with a bar whos son had a girlfriend whos father's brother knew someone that read on a forum once that...) I love it, always will and never intend to move away from all crime, drugs, prostitutes and vile people

A.com works in Google because of all the content here, not the forums

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:23 am

Are you for real that the EWN has news - it NEVER has any real news only stuff copied from other sources and contentious columnists.

I like Marbella and think it has turned the corner, it is telling that EWN supported the "architects" of its downfall and think they did a lot for the town, I think that era will go down in history as the spiv years.

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:30 am

It´s still news no matter where it´s come from! I´d rather read something I´d not read anyway than some sorry attempt at being Green and alleged environmental corruption/scandals from all over the place

*not that I actively seek out to read either but if I happen to be in a bar drinking my 15€ coffee resting on the diamond encrusted tablecloth and I see a copy lying around I´ll peruse it for a while

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:33 am

looking at the stats for this and another forum it seems they peaked in 2007. This one had 174 people online in July 2007. It is unusual to see more than 20 online now. I think it is purely because most people aren't actually interested in moving to Spain right now. Before there would be a few wannabees weekly. Actually negative posts and spats get the most response. Paying for posts is an eyeopener :shock:

PS....What has Marbella got to do with forums dying :? I quite like The Olive Press but the last para about the stars was a load of tosh.

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:24 am

Hi
Good to see some interest and opinions of the future of Spanish Forums
Quite right that Marbella has little to do with it but it does take all the flack and sells news and we all know what sells news
The article like most should be taken by each and those that wish to take the positives do so and like wise those that want to take the negatives also have a choice.To me if I were on the forum for the first time as least it does show a reasonably balanced article.
My real reason for asking the original question is.
If I were looking for the first time at buying in Spain and I went some of the forums then I would run a mile.
They seem full of bitter and twisted people. But there again this is only my opinion …..I wouldn’t be back thats for sure and try to get a balanced view from many that are on this very forum ie those in Spain and have real interest in the future but not forgetting the past as thats also very important to many including me.
Think that this question is valid however think we may need to change the name “Are Spanish forums Dying” Don’t mention the place were Julian lives.
Blimey talk about being touchy
Julian. As I see it just continue to not agree with me and anyone else where you live then you wont have to move home or change forums.

Jim Allen

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:41 pm

sorry,the decision is taken, you´ve opened my eyes , I only thought I enjoyed living here, but clearly it would not be possible to enjoy living in such a place, the enjoyment must have been a figment of my imagination.
I´ve been busy looking at british expat forums this morning to see where the british are happy being expats.....guess what, whichever forum I look at, from whichever country, is forum is full of negative posts about the place and living there (including the forums in the UK with posts from those that are still "pats").
I´m still busy trawling the internet looking for happy expats, they must be out there somewhere, but at the moment I can only find posts from british whinglets.

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:17 pm

There now Julian.
I asked the question ".Are Spanish Forums Dying"
Your reply was a straight NO
Now you have searched the other forums you have now come to the same conclusion as me like it or not
Full of Expats who slate Spain and everything to do with Spain at every opportunity which can only bring about a reaction from some Spanish that we are tarred with the same brush
Talking everything down and as you say being so called experts when some dont even have any tangible interests in Spain .If they want to play then fine but lets have some positive input.
Of course there is nothing wrong with issues that our close to our particular area of Spain both good and bad.
Problem here Julian if you dont mind me saying. You would not agree with anything if I were to post and agreed with you which I am more than happy to do you would disagree with that.
Seems a bit like disagreeing with a mirror :crazy:

For what its worth I feel that Expats are killing some forums.Some have made big mistakes and they vent them the wrong way through the forums
Problem is that like business sometimes it needs new blood and they should be allowed to develop to show Spain as it is with 90% of expats very happy to have moved my own sister being one.

Perhaps then they may be more interesting and the people that really are the very essence of what the forums should be may also wish to join in.
Simply put I feel they are stuck in a rut.

Jim Allen

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:41 pm

The spanish forums are negative too...especially about the British :lol: Never read anything bad about Florida ex-pat forums, except the impossibility of getting a green card. I think a lot who have bought would have welcomed some "negative" advice when the internet was in it's early stages. There are some positive spanish forums on some property agents websites. I think there is room for both views and each has a right to put their opinion and also to defend their opinion. However, I do think marbella has been unfairly targeted over the years including this forum...much of it by people who haven't visited or spent a few hours in Banus. I know many places in Spain, some nice ones and a lot of (in my opinion) dumps. Were I to live in Spain again I would still choose marbella.

Marbella is now coming out of the dark and there should be a wake up call to some of the issues around restaurants, dirty beaches etc. as there are in other tourist areas. Why pretend there aren't bad points? The spanish don't pull punches re. the CDS on their forums.