Are Spanish Forums Dying

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
dido72
Resident

Re: Are Spanish Forums Dying

Postby dido72 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:05 pm

julian wrote:sorry,the decision is taken, you´ve opened my eyes , I only thought I enjoyed living here, but clearly it would not be possible to enjoy living in such a place, the enjoyment must have been a figment of my imagination.
I´ve been busy looking at british expat forums this morning to see where the british are happy being expats.....guess what, whichever forum I look at, from whichever country, is forum is full of negative posts about the place and living there (including the forums in the UK with posts from those that are still "pats").
I´m still busy trawling the internet looking for happy expats, they must be out there somewhere, but at the moment I can only find posts from british whinglets.
:wave: 8) :thumbup:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:16 pm

"There now Julian.
I asked the question ".Are Spanish Forums Dying"
Your reply was a straight NO
Now you have searched the other forums you have now come to the same conclusion as me like it or not"

No Jim,I said they are full of negative posts, not that they are dying, the more negative the posts there are, the longer the thread goes, the forums are thriving on, and because of, negativity and whinging it´s what the brits are good at, (what nationality is Victor Mildrew?) shame the world cup is about football, if it had been about negativity we´d have been in the final at very least !! and you may have been a candidate for Capello´s job.

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:44 pm

julian wrote:I´m still busy trawling the internet looking for happy expats, they must be out there somewhere, but at the moment I can only find posts from british whinglets.
I always post positives on them all! Trouble is they get drowned out and and lost by all the moaners telling people that Spain is dead, no work, no money, etc, etc

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:29 pm

Julian
Dont know about you but if all I read on a forum was that you have commented on I wouldnt bother because as Andy says any positive news gets drowned.
174 at one point on line now down to a handful and sometimes no posts for days the never from actual people on the ground. Just the same ole drum banging.
If you feel that this is making them thrive then thats fine by me. :crazy: Sure the editors are raking in the revenue.
Sorry lost me on the football and the Copello thing and cant see any link to Spanish Forums Dying.

Jim Allen

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:46 pm

I left this place a few years ago as it was completely dreadful and full of negativity, it seems vaguely better now but probably because I tend to ignore anything about "living in spain" full of threads contributed to by people that don´t live here/work here

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Maybe you should request a section just for those living in Spain full time ?

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Now there´s an idea, full of on-the-pulse, non pub talk, information. Nah, it would never catch on! Who is interested in that when sensational non fact based gossip is so much more exciting?

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:04 pm

"174 at one point on line now down to a handful and sometimes no posts for days the never from actual people on the ground. Just the same ole drum banging.
If you feel that this is making them thrive then thats fine by me. "

in just over 24 hours this topic alone has had 435 views and 47 replies, hardly dead is it !!!!

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:08 pm

That´s only because I´m bored and waiting for the OH to finish working so we can go grab a few cañas on the paseo

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:14 pm

julian wrote: I´m still busy trawling the internet looking for happy expats, they must be out there somewhere, but at the moment I can only find posts from british whinglets.
Sorry to disappoint you but I am a happy expat.
Not aware that any of my posts could be regarded as "from british whinglets"

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:15 pm

:thumbup:
be careful about admitting to be happy expat, you´ll be called a smuglet and told that you are not really happy, you just think you are, and that you have your head buried in the sand.
Last edited by julian on Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:25 pm

In the past couple of days there have been some interesting posts and interesting discussions about real non gossipy matters so that may help to speak for itself Jim?

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi Jools
We yes its nice to see that this simple topic is popular and great to see some contructive posts.
At the end of the day we can only live in the past for so long.
There are good signs if anyone cares to take note in after all whats been a worldwide problem.
Lessons hopefully will be learnt from many sides and feel in the not to distant future Spain will be seen as one of the safer places to buy and live.
Julian. Dont you ever give it a rest. :yawn:
The forum is about "Are Spanish Forums Dying" I have said I feel that this is the better Forum because at least it seems there are real genuine posters. The others have clearly lost there way and afraid to change as they are controlled by small groups where the editors are oblivious to the facts..
You are correct in your figures which you have copied and pasted from me regarding another forum.
You now say that this very thread is very popular over the past 24 hours despite your best efforts.
Now you tell me Julian Where do you want to help take it from here.
Jools.Thanks for the advice regarding Smugville. I wil give the area a miss when I am out next.

Jim Allen

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:19 pm

I know that the plural of 'forum' is now accepted in some quarters as 'forums' but for me the correct form will always be 'fora' and every time I inadvertently catch sight of the title of this thread it makes me cringe. I also cringe when supposedly well-educated BBC reporters refer to 'referendums' rather than 'referenda'.

I shall now retreat into my 'living in the past' hideaway and allow you all to proceed with the discussion on whether Spanish fora are dying.
Let's go Brandon!

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:24 pm

AndyT wrote:I left this place a few years ago as it was completely dreadful and full of negativity, it seems vaguely better now but probably because I tend to ignore anything about "living in spain" full of threads contributed to by people that don´t live here/work here

Grow a pair and join in, tell everyone about your positive experiences :)
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:27 pm

According to the Oxford English Dictionary…
forum n. (pl. forums)
1) a meeting or medium for an exchange of views.
2) (pl. fora) (in an ancient Roman city) a public square or marketplace used for judicial and other business. Origin ME: from Latin, lit. what is out of doors.

Both are correct and both have a slightly different meaning from each other. The plural of a computer forum is 'computer forums'

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:40 pm

I wouldn't say that this forum is dead
I haven't looked at any others to compare
In the last year since I became a member there have been some changes in way people interact with each other.It's a lot more civil now.
It's also been a good source of information

ScamBuster
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ScamBuster » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Just going back to the subject of paid posters. I once asked a poster if they were paid for their contributions to these FORA. A perfectly reasonable question one would have thought, but apparently not. The post was removed, followed by a pm warning about my 'antagonistic post'.

Draw your own conclusions.

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Are Spanish Fora Dying

Postby Jim Allen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Hate to make you cringe Beachcomber
I shall act all posh, intellegent and have now changed the name :oops:

Regards Jim Allen :wave:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: Are Spanish Fora Dying

Postby julian » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:03 pm

change it back,according to the oxford english dictionary it was correct before !!