Who to call in Medical Emergency.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Nimrod
Resident

Who to call in Medical Emergency.

Postby Nimrod » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:44 am

In all the years we've been going to the CDS we've never had the need to seek medical advice.
We're just about to go again,I'm getting stuff organised,and it worries me that I don't know who to call if we need to.
We don't have medical insurance,just the EHIC cards.
Who do I ring from a Spanish payg mobile to ,
A.Get an ambulance that would take us to a hospital that honoured the EHIC card.
B.If it's a minor thing and I go to a local doctor will he honour the card.
I know this is all basic stuff to you but it's like the Will syndrome,when you're dead it's too late if you haven't got one.
Thanks for your help.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Who to call in Medical Emergency.

Postby katy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:52 am

People on here have said the 112 european emergency nmber works if you don't speak the language. If you only want to see a Doctor go to the nearest health centre and present the EHIC card at reception.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:10 am

You really should have travel insurance - annual cover for a couple (with no pre existing nasties !) is only about £30 ish

If you do have pre existing conditions, it can be tricky, but some companies will exclude them if you're happy to take the risk.

Also, if you have a property that you might do DIY or gardening in, check the small print VERY carefully, as some policies are now excluding 'manual work' :thumbdown:

As you say - better be ready..... EHIC won't cover things like repatriation....
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:22 am

chrissiehope wrote:You really should have travel insurance - annual cover for a couple (with no pre existing nasties !) is only about £30 ish
I have never gone without insurance, but with a list of pre existing problems, they don't cover me for any of those! However, if the worse came to the worse, and anything else happened, I'd be covered for that, and I feel happier with the insurance. As you say, it's cheap enough. I was reading yesterday of a young guy that has been seriously injured in an accident in Thailand, without any insurance, and they are trying to raise £35,000 to fly him home.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:28 am

There has been a few cases recently, don't begrudge the guy help getting home but why do they always expect to be bailed out. Saw one comment that said why doesn't the foreign office pay for it....right so anyone can swan off to some exotic place and let the taxpayer pick up the bill when things go wrong!

We have annual insurance, do think the companies have got worse though, outrageous T&C's. They will do anything to avoid paying out :twisted:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:58 am

It sounds hard hearted, but so many of these youngsters travel to Thailand without insurance, it's crazy. I think this guy had insurance, but he decided to stay longer, so effectively had no insurance at the time of the accident. Especially when they are hiring scooters, no insurance, invariably no crash hat, unserviceable machines, mad! There was a programme recently, and the number of tourists in Thailand involved in serious accidents was incredible. I forget the minimum age for hire of these scooters, but the investigators had no problem getting scooters for kids. I see there is a page where you can donate, it's currently up to £18k
Regards, Frank

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:43 pm

I had to call for an ambulance for a man that was on holiday in our block. Rang 112 and the ambulance came within about 20 mins. He only needed some treatment on site but only had his EHIC which was sufficient.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:37 am

Thank you all for your replies.
Most helpful :thumbup:

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Not all insurance companies refuse to cover pre-exisiting conditions. I've been covered both by my banks annual cover and by an international company for my conditions. The bank didnt charge anything extra, and the other company (Globelink) only charge £30 extra for 90 days world wide cover including the states. Its worth asking the questions rather than assuming you won't/can't be covered.
I can spell but I can't type

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:40 pm

It all depends on what the pre-existing conditions are.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:32 pm

Re the existing conditions, I have been covered in that past, ie you speak with one of their medical people and they then assess the price. However, the current annual one I have refused to cover. It's like a lot of insurances, I paid private health insurance for over 20 years, but then after a large operation, they refused cover. It pays to be healthy if you want health or travel insurance! :lolno:
Regards, Frank

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:14 pm

Janda - no, I didn't say they all refuse to cover pre existing conditions - just that some companies did.
In my case, because I had treatment for cancer within the past six months, no-one will cover me for that. (Not strictly accurate - I could get cover, but it would cost me more than the holiday - about £1300 for just over 2 weeks !!! :thumbdown: :lol: ). So I decided to take my chance with the cancer on the EHIC, but I'm covered for anything else, such as falling downstairs, or being in a car accident :thumbup:

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:04 pm

Chrissie - sorry if I didn't put it well, what I was trying to get across to everyone, was that it doesn't hurt to ask, not that I thought you personally could or would get cover, or indeed hadn't already tried. :oops:
Yes it does depend on whats wrong with you, but a lot of people do think it's a blanket thing, if you have a condition you are automatically banned. Just as an aside, I'm diabetic, I can get travel insurance no probs (as I said before) but despite not having been "ill" for over 20 years couldn't get private medcal cover! (I'm probably healthier than a lot of people with "nothing" wrong with them!!!!) Hope your doing well, and keep healthy!!!xxx :wave: :wave: :wave:
I can spell but I can't type

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:51 pm

No problem janda - I did realise what you were trying to say, but thought I would make it a bit clearer :D

Hubby is also diabetic (over 30 yrs, now insulin dependent), and as you say, many companies now cover that as a matter of course (providing you don't have any complications of course, which thankfully hubby hasn't :thumbup: ). The important thing, as with all insurance, is tell them everything, even if it doesn't seem relevant :roll: - hubby has normal cholesterol levels, but as a diabetic has been told to take statins anyway - this causes insurers great confusion and it often ends up that he is 'being treated for cholesterol' :crazy: :crazy:

Yes, I'm doing fine at the moment, thanks - just have to wait & see what the future brings :wink:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:37 pm

Following on from that, if someone has private medical insurance and there's an emergency, does one phone 112 or the private medical company?

If it's not life threatening but an ambulance is needed, does one phone the ambulance service (061) or the private medical insurers?
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Doesn't your insurance company give a number to call?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:11 pm

Katy

Indeed it does but I was wondering if there would be a problem with using 112. I used to be with Sanitas and a few years ago I was gripped with an excruciating pain and I realised it was kidney stones.
Mrs Mowser phoned Sanitas who said they couldn't come (it was a Sunday during Semana Santa).

She then phoned Clinica Rincon who said they couldn't come either! Eventually Salus came. The trouble was that they didn't deal with Sanitas. I paid for their doctor, injections, ambulance into Malaga hospital etc. Eventually Sanitas reimbursed me but I wouldn't want to go through that nonsense again.

I should have explained better. If I phoned 112 or 061, could I ask to be taken to the private hospitals used by my new medical insurance provider or would I be taken to the local hospital? If I were taken there, how could they process my private insurance bill? Would they indeed process the bill?
Dave

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:26 am

Apologies for re-raising this thread but I don't think it answered the question... and now it is bugging me. I have the card and also travel insurance and a British mobile. If, for example, I was suffering serious chest pains in my Spanish house what number should I call. I don't have a smart phone.

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:28 am

It did answer the question but not if you have insurance.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:47 am

Dial 112. If it's an emergency you must be treated. Don't dial for an ambulance as it could take forever for one to come.

112 is a pan-European number. You can even dial this in the UK instead of 999.
Dave