Is the spanish economy really this bad?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Is the spanish economy really this bad?

Postby katy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:40 pm

Only time will tell but I believe that the austerity measures in the UK will do untold damage to the economy at least as much as the measures put in place by Brown.(This is my opinion and I'm already aware that many on here don't agree)

I am beginning to shift to this point of view, decidedly unimpressed with the conningdeb!

However, why bring the UK into it...again. It is a thread about the spanish economy not which country is worse.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:09 pm

"Last weeks figures showed unemployment went up in August...usually they waited until Sept/Oct to lay off the summer season staff in Andalucía"

not everyone in andalucia works in a chiringuito !!
it is usual that unemployment increases in august in andalucia

El incremento del paro durante el mes de agosto en Andalucía, habitual desde el año 2003, se debió principalmente al término de contratos en los sectores de los servicios (en actividades no vinculadas a la hostelería) y de la construcción. En concreto, el paro subió sobre todo en los servicios en 7.491 personas (1,70%); seguido del sector de la construcción, con 3.475 personas (1,85%); el sector sin empleo anterior, con 1.519 (1,37%); y la industria, con 1.223 (1,59%).

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:15 pm

To say that this unrest will ultimately end with the fall of demorcracy in Spain is nothing more than one person's extreme view on the situation. It is scaremongering.
I can promise you that the last thing the Spanish want is to lose is one of the ideals that is most precious to them.
I personally don't think the monarchy will disappear soon, but who is to know in the future. There are a lot of people in Spain, as in UK, that have no time whatsoever for the Royal Family, it's certainly not the country wide, much loved institution that you suggest. As for scaremongering, what is the point, what does the author of the article have to gain from that? His thoughts are different from yours, doesn't mean they are any less valid.
some experts have critised the government on education cuts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11203790
Your report refers to the percentage of students we send to uni, personally I don't have a problem with that. We seem to have this obsession with wanting to send everyone to uni, when there is no need, we are sending people that shouldn't be there. Look at the people you might see in your daily life, the average plumber, electrician, postman, builder, drivers, shop assistants et all, none of these need a uni education. Just read a headline that would suggest Spain already has too many over qualified people.
El 44% de los jóvenes, en un puesto inferior a sus estudios
Los españoles de entre 25 y 29 años, empleados en trabajos por debajo de su cualificación.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:18 pm

is democracy and the monarchy one and the same ???
so countries with no monarchy have no democracy????
:?

"As for scaremongering, what is the point, what does the author of the article have to gain from that"

scaremongering sells and gets his article published, and he gets paid !!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:21 pm

katy wrote:
However, why bring the UK into it...again. It is a thread about the spanish economy not which country is worse.
I was responding to a comment by Frank,who brought up the UK.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Scaremongering is a very good way of feedings peoples fears
The Daily Mail is pretty good at it and They would have you believe every Muslim is a terrorist and all foreigners go to the UK because it's an easy touch and that there are dogooders waiting at the quayside with the keys to their new house.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:27 pm

Unfortunately, it would appear that the King is seriously ill. What happens when he dies is anyone's guess.
Let's go Brandon!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:30 pm

well my bet is on Prince Felipe becoming King !!

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:50 pm

Allthough I tend to look at everything thru rose coloured spectacles, and am a complete dunce when it comes to economics, it always puzzles me when I hear that places such as UK, Spain etc are on the verge of economic collapse.
Most of the folk in the developed world live like kings compared to much of the rest of the world, don't they?
And all this debt. Who's it owed to? He must be one hell of a wealthy fella. I've asked this question before but never got a satisfactory answer.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:53 pm

we´re sure going to be in trouble the day he cuts off the overdraft !!! :wtf:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:30 pm

It is Juan Carlos who is holding everything together. Felipe obviously will not have the same authority.
Let's go Brandon!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Beach - do we know what is wrong with King Juan Carlos? He IS much loved by the spanish who remember the pre democracy days, and anyone who reads spanish history seriously will know how instrumental he was in creating democracy in Spain.

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:46 pm

My Spanish friends do not concur with the last 2 posts.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:13 pm

He recently had an operation on his lung. I think it was a tumour which was said to be benign but he has recently been absent from a number of public events.

He virtually single-handedly put down the attempted coup d'état in 1981 and is much respected by the majority of the Spanish public despite what others may claim.
Let's go Brandon!

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:38 pm

He virtually single-handedly put down the attempted coup d'état in 1981 and is much respected by the majority of the Spanish public despite what others may claim.[/quote]

Easy Beechy, there was so much more to it than that. The majority,you have counted them have you?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:46 pm

That day there needed for someone to take the reigns, they were in limbo. The King did so and it worked. Not fond of the guy but in this case he did the right thing and Spain needs to be grateful for that. Not sure about his son and anorexic wife, they seem totally lacking in personality. Juan carlos was groomed by Franco for the job.

I don't think there is a great appetite for social unrest in Spain, maybe some confrontational strikes that's all. You could ask 10 spaniards and they would all come up with a different view depending on their background/outlook.

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:06 pm

katy wrote:That day there needed for someone to take the reigns, they were in limbo. The King did so and it worked. Not fond of the guy but in this case he did the right thing and Spain needs to be grateful for that. Not sure about his son and anorexic wife, they seem totally lacking in personality. Juan carlos was groomed by Franco for the job.

I don't think there is a great appetite for social unrest in Spain, maybe some confrontational strikes that's all. You could ask 10 spaniards and they would all come up with a different view depending on their background/outlook.
I definately agree with your second paragraph.
Near death, Franco conceded that he was too ill to govern on October 30, 1975 and the monarchy was restored with control given to Juan Carlos, whom the dictator had groomed to be his fascist successor.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:25 pm

patchdog wrote: Near death, Franco conceded that he was too ill to govern on October 30, 1975 and the monarchy was restored with control given to Juan Carlos, whom the dictator had groomed to be his fascist successor.
When he was crowned in 1975, King Juan Carlos was dismissed by many as a political lightweight who had been raised under the dictator’s arm to perpetuate his regime. When Franco died, however, Juan Carlos had other ideas. He quietly steered the country towards democracy while keeping the far Right in check.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 358127.ece
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:30 pm

"Not sure about his son and anorexic wife, they seem totally lacking in personality"

I guess it can´t be easy for them to keep up with their british counterparts,Charles and Camilla, but I don´t think they are so bad.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:49 pm

patchdog wrote:... there was so much more to it than that...
Oh, really? I didn't know, I do apologise. I obviously got the wrong end of the stick whilst I was anxiously glued to the television with some Spanish friends in their apartment in Barcelona!!
Let's go Brandon!