Pound euro rate

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pound euro rate

Postby katy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:35 am

I stand by what I said. Everywhere appears to be booming, shops restaurants full, low unemployment (compared to Spain!). I am refering to the economy as in debt repayment and the future effect of the crazy cut and cut further of the present government.

Seems to me you spend a greater part of your day reviewing my posts...now I know why they frequently come high on google :lol:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:01 pm

Huzzah! Huzzah! The pound now at €1.17! Rejoice , nay thrice rejoice.
Dave

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:36 pm

Now that the thread has been re-activated - yes Huzzah!!

But I noticed no-one has mentioned Norwich and Peterborough current account. You have to have £500 paid in monthly but it does mean that withdrawals in Euros in Europe are free of charges and you get the interbank rate. The branch in Ipswich told me they are getting loads of disgruntled Nationwide customers - my wife being one.

I've still kept the Nationwide joint account as the d/ds coem out and I can't be bothered changing them.

Great tip from someone in this thread that if you want to transfer say €2,000 just keep using the card and pay it into your Spanish bank account - no "dodgy" middle man (we actually use Currencies Direct in Mojacar from time to time and so far so good) and the best rate you're likely to get anywhere. :thumbup:
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:44 pm

Mowser wrote:Huzzah! Huzzah! The pound now at €1.17! Rejoice , nay thrice rejoice.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:53 pm

We are now back, a couple of years later, to the point this thread started.......£1.17

anyroads

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:17 am

I'm trying to evaluate my system of transferring money from my UK bank account into my spanish one.
How does mine compare with all the other ones that have been mentioned on this forum? Today we have a stated exchange rate of 1.17 - is that subject to certain conditions and charges etc?
This morning I can achieve a true rate of 1.164 with only 3 euro charge. No minimum amount or any other charges whatsoever.All done online from UK to Spanish bank account in realtime. How does that compare with currencies direct or other systems that have been proposed I wonder? How good is it? I'd like to know......

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:28 am

That looks a good rate. xe.com right now is 1.1523. Which company is your quote from?
Brian.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:00 am

"This morning I can achieve a true rate of 1.164 with only 3 euro charge. "

Have we not been here before on this forum ?.....sounds too good to be true etc.

I am not sure what one of the big boys like HIFX ( who will still be in business next month )are quoting for bank to bank transfer today, but it certainly will not be 1.164.

If you want to top up for some holiday money, Caxton are quoting real time 1.143 to top up their euro master card.

anyroads

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:18 am

Hi,
Got a quote from HIFX for the purpose of this post just after 08:00 UK time.

1.1385 for 3000GBP so no other charges.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:20 pm

That sounds about right Enrique. If you read the small print on some of the websites you will see that the rates vary depending on how much you wish to transfer etc. e.g. on World First they state *Any rates given are "interbank" ie for amounts of £5million and thus are not indicative of the rates offered by World First for smaller amounts. Rates are dependent on the amount transacted."

Anybody even giving the interbank rate, I would be careful as certainly, efven when I change £500,000 ,at work via an FX house, I do not get interbank rates, although admittedly a lot closer than I would as an individual elsewhere. So if anyone offers more I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:35 pm

After not visiting the UK for over three years I recently took 16 Spanish students of English to London for five days. Wow! From the man in the train ticket office at Luton Parkway, who saved us £14.00 each by doing a huge group discount thingy on our tickets to St. Pancras, to the waiters in the restaurants in Covent Garden, to the people giving free hugs in Trafalgar Square to the salespeople in Harrods, EVERYONE was smiling, polite, helpful, cheerful and nice. London, in only 40 months, has changed from the grubby place I remember into a clean city with well kept public areas and the Underground was fast, efficient and clean. On top of that we had great weather. It was possible to eat well for £10.00 per person - although drinks were expensive. Entry to places was VERY expensive (£19.80 for the Tower) but we got '2 for 1' offers from the net with our train tickets. The shops were heaving with shoppers - okay lots were tourists - BUT the place looked prosperous. It must be the Boris Johnson effect. :lol:

Long post - but I agree with Katy. London looked in good shape. Not much sign of recession that I could see. Just as well as the students want a return trip in the Spring!

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:45 pm

That looks a good rate. xe.com right now is 1.1523. Which company is your quote from?

Sorry - I've been out all day. The company is currencyfairdotcom.
The rate atm (16:45) is 1.1524. Dropped a little.
Graham