Rain again

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
janda_grant2
Resident

Rain again

Postby janda_grant2 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:41 pm

OK it's been raining since sbout 10am this morning - result flooded roads.olive groves like mangrove swamps and no TV picture. Someboby tell me thisd isn't a repeat of last year - please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can spell but I can't type

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: Rain again

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Well we're making our first trip over in a long while next week..................so count on rain and every other meteorological nasty the weather gods have at their disposal to rain down on Andalucia for the next month or so :eh:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:56 pm

Alas,

Maybe the weather has settled into a pattern all over Europe.

In the UK, it is predictated we will have lots of snow again in the winter, so maybe even lots of rain again in Spain over the winter / spring.

anyroads

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Monday - 80% chance heavy rain all day........

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:52 pm

The main problem with the weather this year, is high pressure has not dominated the Mediterranean, as it normally does each summer.

At the moment there are a series of very deep depressions moving slowly, north east, across the North Atlantic. The fronts generated by these depressions are between two and three thousand miles long and are covering Spain. The front that is providing the rain today is a cold front, so the rain should stop soon.

When high pressure is dominant over the Mediterranean or north Africa, these fronts fizzle out before they get any where near us.

If you want to get down to the fundamental problem, you have to look at the European Gulf Stream. At the moment its passing NE over Spain then turning NW off the coast of Ireland. The Gulf stream should be much further west, in the mid Atlantic, travelling North by North East, before turning east just south of Iceland. This allows high pressure to build off the Azores and give Spain drier conditions.

When will stability return. I personally don't think it will, so get the Wellington boots and umbrellas out.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:14 pm

There are some days of heavy rain most Octobers. I remember because it always seemed to rain when family came out at half-term. Infact about 5 years ago it rained nearly every day for ten days they were out. The nicest thing about Autumn rain is that it gives new life to the garden, almost like a second spring.

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:31 pm

Huh - and the weeds grow at a rate of metres per hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Image

So looks like I'm not going to get my washing dry before Tuesday then!Image

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:35 pm

ajtg1952 wrote: If you want to get down to the fundamental problem, you have to look at the European Gulf Stream
Don't you mean the Jet Stream?

If the Gulf Stream was passing over Spain it really would be wet!

Sid

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Absolutely correct, El Cid, I do mean the Jet Stream.

jrhartley
Tourist

Postby jrhartley » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:17 pm

oh please what a fuss about a bit of rain

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:33 pm

jr,as brits we are obliged to complain about the weather,it´s what we are good at.... up to now it´s been too hot..and now on the first day of rain and we are moaning that we can´t dry the washing, we could of course have waited till after the rain to do the washing, but then what would we have to gripe about?

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:08 pm

I had a couple of poor souls out hiking today on a 22 km trek around the Frigiliana/Acebuchal area today.
Weather forcast was for plenty of cloud with "some" rain, heavy localised.
It was localised all over us. The last 4 of the 6 hours were spent in torrential downpours with near zero visibility.
I was glad to get back to Antonio's bar in Acebuchal for a hot coffee and cake.
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:13 pm

This is the start of the Nerja Feria. It ALWAYS rains for the Nerja Feria.
Dave

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:42 pm

jr - I don't mind a bit of rain - I just don't want it to rain for months like it did last winter. (But then if the gulf stream passed over, that was probably why!!!!!!!!!!) And Julian is quite right it is obligatory to moan about the weather - whether you are British or Spanish (who can winge as well as we can, and also seemed to be quite "surprised" that the summers here are hot and the winters are cold!)Just wait till it does this..............................................................

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:48 pm

Dave

lulubel
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lulubel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:33 pm

So, what's causing the Jet Stream to go the wrong way? Are we talking melting icecaps here or something less catastrophic?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:49 pm

It just happens that way. There are some conditions that affect it but it is all rather complicated.

Last winter was unusual as the Jet Stream spent most of its time over North Africa rather than Scotland!

The position of the Jet Stream (just very strong high altitude winds) affects the course of the Atlantic depressions that form every few days all year round and bring rain across the Atlantic.

If it is in its usual place it dumps all the rain on the UK. If it is further south, like last winter, the depressions come much further south and affect Spain.

Often when this happens you get an area of high pressure over the UK which gives them good weather while it rains in Spain.

As a general rule in winter, if it's good in the UK it will be rubbish in Spain. Look at this weekend - 23c in the UK and sunny - cold and wet down here.

Next week the remains of hurricane Otto are heading this way. High pressure over the UK will push it this way. Luckily by the time it arrives it should have petered out completely - we hope!

http://ows.public.sembach.af.mil/index. ... NG_120.gif

Sid

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:10 pm

last year was also unusual as we hardly had a drop of rain until mid-december, it was the dryist, warmist autumn I can remember here.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:25 pm

What is interesting is that the previous really wet winter was in 1995/6 and it rained continually from the beginning of December until well into March - just like last winter.

The normal wet period is in the last quarter rather than the early part of the year.

Sid

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:10 pm

I had two good laughs today driving in the rain, we (my cousin and i) was just passing the Tamisa Hotel on the coin rd, when infront of us we spotted a chap on a scooter in front of us with a brolly in one hand whilst he was driving, ha ha it went inside out, but he knew what to do, he pointed it into the wind, ha ha my cousin got out his new phone, he had never used the camera part of it, he shouts great got it just as we turn into our apartments, this is the second laugh, when he looked at the picture ,ha ha ha he had taken a picture of his own face ha ha ha he had reversed it, ha ha great ,it brightened the day, shame i would of loved to had posted the picture on here for you lot,