30 Minutes Shopping Takes Us 2 hours...At Least !

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

30 Minutes Shopping Takes Us 2 hours...At Least !

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:24 pm

I always make sure that we have plenty of time to do everything when we go out shopping...

There aren't that many Brits in our area, but you can guarantee that we will 'bump' into most of them in either Lidl or Mercadona whenever we go shopping...
It's a bit like having a stand up coffee morning as we bunch our shopping trollies together to let other shoppers get by....You must be able to hear the English chattering voices throughout the store, but never a cross word has been heard from Spanish shoppers trying to get past us, in fact some even join in..
And for many Brits , especially those living in the camp, it is a great way to keep in touch and chatter in their native language...amazing what you can learn from the supermarket chatter...I normally seem to be stood in the wine section perusing what's on offer and discussing likes and dislikes with other English hubbies as our wifes chatter excitedly...
I know that it's easy to pick up the phone or send an e-mail, but I don't think that they will ever take the place of being able to stand around gossiping...Well I'm not in any hurry anymore so I let my good lady chatter to her hearts content....And anyway it saves her 'bending ' my ear all of the time !.. :lol:
Happy chatting everyone...
Regards,
Gordon..
PS...Ooops..Forgot to mention that Lidl have on offer 8 year Whisky at 4.99 euros and Vodka and Gin at 2.99 euros, Cava at 1.19 euros plus some good wines and beers on good prices..
And for those who like to follow the New Year Tradition they have tins of 12 grapes ..without pips for .99 cents... :)

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: 30 Minutes Shopping Takes Us 2 hours...At Least !

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:59 am

the only thing lidl vodka & gin is good for is lighting fires. :wtf: they give me such a bad headache i´d rather go without.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:06 am

From my experience it's the quantity that you drink not the quality, that will give you a bad head...

Personally I now only drink quality red wine, when possible...never have a bad head.. :lol:

Regards,
Gordon...

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi Gordon -so you can afford good wine then.... :thumbup: :wink: so you got your pensions organised ok under the new rules? I´d love an update if its not being too intrusive.....

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Jool,
Well I'm not a snob, but I've always drunk 'good' wines...even if I couldn't afford them.. :) .

Quite happy with the occasional glass of 'plonk' though.

With regards to my pensions, the UK pension took 20 minutes on the phone to organise and was what I expected, the only difference is that it is now paid monthly..no options..

My Spanish pension is still 'pending', still no idea what I will get, but no problems up to now, I will 'update' when all is approved...
At least now I won't have to sit outside Lidl with my begging bowl ... :lol:

Regards,
Gordon..

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi Gordon,

So will the spanish element be back-dated then? It seems to me that the EUlisses thing does not work that well then if you have to wait so long for one country........I thought they were supposed to amlagamate things together but it seems in effect its 2 separate pensions with 2 separate applications? No co-ordination anywhere, the only difference is you no longer have to contribute for 15 years to receive any kind of spanish pension

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Some countries it works in . My brother in Germany had it all done with their usual teutonic efficiency by the Germans. He just gave them his N.I. number & they did all the rest , & it was all sorted before it was due to commence.
Todos somos Lorca.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Jool,
Maybe my Spanish pension details will arrive soon, more likely my fault because I'm on the move all of the time..The UK Pension Service are sorting it out, I had to give my Soc.Sec. number and a few other details , so fingers crossed...

Gus,
Hopefully I'll be as lucky as your brother....

Regards,
Gordon...

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:09 am

Benidorm, whilst you are just waiting for your Spanish dues, and just standing in the shop waiting for your good lady to stop talking,what tips can you give on what you think is good value and good drinking red Spanish wine,and i think lydi is selling the gin in your area cheaper than here on the costa?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:18 am

BENIDORM wrote:From my experience it's the quantity that you drink not the quality, that will give you a bad head...

nah thats some bad "alcohol" - even after 1 or 2 vodka / cokes i know ive had them in the morning.

but i dont drink now, im a driver so cant. strangly, the urge has gone.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.