Residencia Renewal

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Alan-LaCala
Resident

Residencia Renewal

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:33 am

Can someone please point me in the direction of some guidance on this, as I have just noticed my card expires in a week. Tried searching, but it did not come up with much.

Thanks.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Residencia Renewal

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:36 am

Search again on here - there is tons of stuff about it, including very recent.
(No, I am not going to do it all for you and supply links - it is too hot to encourage the idle!) :wink: :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:27 am

Hi Alan,
As its not so hot(17.5c) here I've not got Peter's excuse...............

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23821&p=246773&hilit=reside*#p246773

is one link...............just search.... reside*, will bring up loads of links to trawl thru......... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Alan, in response to your PM I have given you some guidance on this.

If you are happy with what I said, please feel free to post the contents of the PM for the benefit of others.

Sid

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:35 am

Thanks Sid.

Below is the advice.

Sent: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:52 pm
To: Alan-LaCala

Hi Alan

You have no option - you must "renew" you residencia by applying for the new certificate of registration.

You have absolutely no right to stay in Spain indefinitely just because you are an EU citizen. You only have the right to stay in Spain for 90 days as a tourist. The only right you have under EU law is to travel freely across the EU as a (90) day tourist.

This is a very common misconception about the EU.

If you wish to stay for more than 90 days you are obliged to conform with any requirements for registration that the EU state may require (as long as they conform to the EU residency directive).

Although the new certificate has no validity as an ID document it may be required under a number of circumstances if you wish to prove that you are a bona-fide resident.

I suggest you read the EU directive which explains the rules clearly.

It is available at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 123:EN:PDF

In fact Spain is being generous as the rules allow them to insist on personal health cover (if not provided under a reciprocal agreement such as the E121) and also to insist that you prove that you have adequate income to support yourself without becoming a burden on the State.

That said, it is a legal requirement to register and you can be fined for not doing so in, and in theory, if you exceed the 90 day rule you can be classed as an illegal immigrant and asked to leave the country (unlikey but perfectly legal under Spanish and EU law).

For €10 just do it - life is much simpler if you conform - even if the rules are silly!

Regards

Sid
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:19 am

In fact Spain is being generous as the rules allow them to insist on personal health cover (if not provided under a reciprocal agreement such as the E121) and also to insist that you prove that you have adequate income to support yourself without becoming a burden on the State.

Yes when we first became resident we had to provide a folder full of documents. Plus costly official translations from a notarised translator. I didn't realise that they could still implement this :shock:

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:47 pm

To finish off the story.

We went to Fuengirola Police Station on Monday to make on appointment.
Apparently they have 35 prior appointments per day, after that you can be seen straight away. As we had all the paperwork, we went and paid the fee, returned, joined a small queue, were seen in 10 minutes and forms processed, then told to wait while the policeman input the info onto the computer. A few minutes later our name was called and we were told we could not have our certificates that day as our residencia cards did not expire until Wednesday.

We did in fact collect them today in a record time; in and out in 5 minutes.

Alan

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:04 pm

Is this the "green" residencia form we are talking about? How long does it last then? I just assumed it was indefinite.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:14 pm

The new A4 green form does not need renewing.

Sid

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:20 pm

time for some painting Cid?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:24 pm

Julian, just for once you could be right!

This subject has been covered to death and a search of previous posts will reveal all.

But no, we have to let it run for the moment - so no painting please!

Sid

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:41 pm

ok, fine..I´ll carry on painting alone for the moment....you have the patience of a saint...now I understand why you know so much about wine and whisky !!!