Spanish Electricity

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Spanish Electricity

Postby alicia » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi

My "Whirlpool" fridge freezer keeps blowing all the electricity - not sure why though as it was working fine until yesterday afternoon. I inadvertently took all the ice from the icemaker from the fridge for the coolbox and then all the lights started blinking on and off and then went off altogether. I just thought electricity had tripped. My friend says I have broken the fridge by removing all the ice but I find that a bit odd that it could be broken like that and "Whirlpool" is a reasonable make isn´t it. Everytime I put the switch down all the electricity comes on again. But when I plug the fridge in, it blows. There is a little switch on the wall over the hob that seemed to operate the microwave, and the cooker extractor and for a while, while that was on, the fridge seemed to work again. Then blow me down (if you´ll pardon the pun) I was hoovering the stairs with the hoover and the fridge was humming away nicely and then everything blew again. Don´t suppose anyone would be able to hazard a guess as to why? I would be grateful.

gus-lopez
Resident

Re: Spanish Electricity

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Is it possible to disconnect the microwave & extractor to ensure it's not them ?
Todos somos Lorca.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:05 pm

Does the fridge work when nothing else is switched on? You might be using more power than you are contracted for.
You can't break your fridge by removing the ice, it didn't have any ice in it when you bought it :wink:
Ann

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:40 am

turn everything else off and just run the fridge.

does the electric trip then ?

which one is tripping ? a "little one" or a "big one" ? (i mean the width of the breakers... not the rating on them. in older houses the rating means nothing...)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:49 am

how long have you been in the house running all the same "stuff" ? is something "new" in the house ?

when it trips what are you running ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:51 am

Hi

No, I haven´t added any new electrical appliances. In the fuse box, when the fridge trips and everything blows, it is a "big-one" that I have to flip up. I don´t want to call out the Whirlpool Technician as apparently everyone tells me that would cost mega bucks and there would be no guarantee they he would fix it anyway. At the moment all my fridge/freezer stuff in the friend´s spare freezer - think I may well have to call out local Spanish electrician. The Fridge-freezer is only about four years old but I wonder if there is a fault with the cable or the plug or something. Of course not able to investigate as they are all moulded plugs nowadays aren´t they - and fridge is too heavy to lift to look at the cable underneath.

Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions and advice. It was very much appreciated.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 am

You need to call the local service people. Contrary to what you have been told, the prices are usually very reasonable - unlike the UK.

Being in mind the recent problems in the UK where certain fridge/freezers have caused serious fires due to a faulty component, I would not hesitate to call someone in.

Sid

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:26 pm

and fridge is too heavy to lift to look at the cable underneath.
That may be the problem. I had a fuse that kept going when the washing machine was on.
An electrician came and the washing machine was trapping the cable underneath making it much thinner.
Too much power was then going through wires that were too small for the load.
Dave

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:40 pm

How did you remove the ice?
Did you melt it?

If so, I guess some water may have got into the electrics, inside. While the weather is hot, try drying it out properly outside with the fridge door open.

If it works, you have lost nothing. If it doesn't work you can call the repair man.