Internet Provider

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Internet Provider

Postby alicia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi

Up until present, I have a fixed phone line and intenet connection provided by Telefonica/Movistar. It was useful having the fixed line initially but really at this point, I don´t really need it or use it. Also it is quite expensive at around 70 odd euros a month. However, Telefonica/Movistar will only provide internet connection with fixed line. Apparently you cannot just have Internet connection provided by them. Not sure exactly why that is. Possibly not commercially viable I assume. So, I am looking around for company to provide internet connection only. I had a look at Yoigo and Orange but not in-depth just quickly scanned their brochures and from what I can gather they don´t actually provide a line to your house (like telefonica) but just give you a modem/dongle thing - but you are prohibited from using any PSP-s or downloading any files. Would anyone know of any company that don-t do this and are reasonable in their charges.

:think:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: Internet Provider

Postby julian » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:32 pm

you can get phone line and internet with telefonica (now movistar) at much cleaper than 70 a month..change the deal you have with them.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:43 pm

If you go with the "dongle" approach with a mobile phone company it is not surprising that many of them don't allow access to VOIP services such as Skype.

Look for one of the many WiFi connections that are designed for areas where phone lines are not available. They are typically around 35 to 40 euros/mth and don't have VOIP restrictions.

I can't make any recommendations as it just depends on what is available in your local area.

Sid

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:52 pm

I would stay with your present setup at a reduced price, you should be able to have some free calls and internet for 40 ish a month
if you call movistar to tell them you want to cancel the line you´ll get it even cheaper !!

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:25 pm

Thanks for the replies. How do I get Movistar/Telefonica to reduce the price then? DoI just tell them I want to cancel the fixed line only or both the fixed line and internet connection? Will they then worry about "losing a customer" and offer reduced rate? Not sure exactly what "wi-fi" is but don´t think I can have it where I am - in the coutryside around Coin

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Yes phone them and cancel, then they will ring you back with offers.

I have just started using talktalk.es for my adsl, I did have them for my phoneline and calls before, now I pay 52 euro a month, this incuded Adsl, all landline calls to local and national numbers, to landlines in europe and usa, and mobiles in USA, Includeds IVA , english speaking staff as well as english language web site for thoses who need it, and the customer service is brilliant :thumbup:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:12 pm

Currently €39 per month with free Spanish calls and free calls to Spanish mobiles at week-ends with Movistar.
Phone and cancel and they'll come back with the current offer.
Dave

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Mowser, does that inclde IVA
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:02 pm

as you already have the landline you can also look at vodafone and orange, as they can take over the landline (check with them first by giving them your phone number) orange usually beat movistar and vodafone with prices

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Julie wrote:Mowser, does that inclde IVA
Yes. My bill is usually around €40 and a few cents as I phone the odd 900 number or mobile through the week.
Dave