whats it called

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
ladymuck
Andalucia.com Amigo

whats it called

Postby ladymuck » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:26 pm

Can anyone help please,we used to have great painkillers when we lived in spain they were quite large tablets and dissolve in water .
My daughter is coming over with quite a list of bits we miss just need to add these. :think:
I thinkit begins with an S

Chunky Monky
Resident

Re: whats it called

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:21 pm

Hi

My wife buys Co-Codamols for rheumatism pain. They are available over the counter at chemists and supermarkets. They are very good pain killers but should only be taken if cleared by the doctor and even then not for prolonged periods. They are available in tablet form and a dissolvable version.

ladymuck
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ladymuck » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:48 am

chunky monkey thanks for replying, the tablets im looking for are really good if someone knows the name your wife should try them, we found spanish tablets always seemed better than uk ones.

Just like the agua oxyegene from supermarkets is fantastic for stain removal but nothing like it in
the uk. and costs very little.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:03 am

Hi,
"we found spanish tablets always seemed better than uk ones."

Probable because they are a lot stronger..........example

UK............Ibuprofen.......200mg dose 1-2 tablets

Spain.........Ibuprofen........600mg dose 1-2 tablets

:?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:14 am

How can you possibly compare the two?

Of course a 600mg tablet is stronger than a 200mg tablet! You can buy 200mg and 400mg tablets in Spain as well as the 600mg tablets.

What dose you take depends on the problem you have. The daily maximum dose is the same whichever strength you take. The 600mg tablets are slow release designed for long term treatment such as arthritis rather than a quick hit for a headache.

Sid

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:16 am

need more tablets in the UK...

Hence bigger profits for the manufacturers !

anyroads

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:31 am

ladymuck wrote: we found spanish tablets always seemed better than uk ones.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Presumably you mean stronger, the composition will be exactly the same. As Sid has said, you can buy 200mg, 400mg and 600mg in Spain, and they will be no different to their UK equivalent. The thing is Spain seems to have a lot more cavalier attitude to drugs, and that's not always a good thing. Side affects of simply throwing 600mg pills down your neck unchecked can be serious, if you condition responds well to 200 or 400mg, why take 600mgs? At one time you could go and buy whatever antibiotics you wanted in Spain, but they have since clamped down on that, realising that it was being abused. They used to dish them out like Smarties! When we were in Spain last year my wife needed some antibiotics and out Spanish hosts said pop down to the farmacia, see Pepe and he'll sell them to you. He wouldn't, so our host popped down for us and got them! Still open to abuse.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:23 pm

Ibuprofen can cause stomach bleeding. 400g tablets are on sale in the UK, haven't seen 600g on sale except in spain. If the GP prescribes them in spain they usually prescribe Omeprazol at the same time to protect the stomach. A cousins wife is a pharmacist and she won't take anything unless absolutely necessary, all medicine has side effects and stronger isn't always best.

Our farmacía in Spain would sell anything a few years ago, even sleeping tablets and valium. Always a queue of British and Germans with a list. They must have been raking in the cash! A friend who was visiting from the UK needed antibiotics and she was sold expensive ones at around 25 euro when amoxticillin would have done at a cost of a few euro. Two years ago they tightened up and put up a list of drugs that they would not sell, perhaps the authorities had noticed their high turnover of restricted drugs. In Belize you can purchase an unlimited amount of restricted drugs like valium openly. The rest of the caribbean they won't even sell antibiotics.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:17 pm

katy wrote:Ibuprofen can cause stomach bleeding. 400g tablets are on sale in the UK, haven't seen 600g on sale except in spain. If the GP prescribes them in spain they usually prescribe Omeprazol at the same time to protect the stomach.
The 600g tablets are EFG coated. Most drugs long term drugs that can create stomach bleeding are coated that way. Even the daily low dose Aspirin are coated. The coating only dissolves when the pill has passed through the stomach into the lower intestine thus avoiding the problem.

Lower dose "instant" pain killers would not be coated as that would delay the effect. In other words a 200mg pill would be more effective initially than a 600g pill.

Similarly you can get 1000mg Paracetamol pills but again they are coated.

I know someone who has to take 1800mg of Ibuprofen daily.

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:31 pm

El Cid wrote:
I know someone who has to take 1800mg of Ibuprofen daily.

Sid
Whoa! that's a lot of Ibuprofen! My wife was taking 600mg pills, but was told only one at night and one in the morning.
Regards, Frank

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:38 pm

Re the original question - could it be Solpadeine ? My mum used to take them, and I'm fairly sure they were soluble...
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:46 pm

ladymuck wrote:
I thinkit begins with an S
Do you do crosswords?
Any more clues ...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:02 pm

ladymuck wrote:
Just like the agua oxyegene from supermarkets is fantastic for stain removal but nothing like it in
the uk. and costs very little.
There's plenty of it in the UK. It's Hydrogen Peroxide - freely available.

Sid

ladymuck
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ladymuck » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:25 pm

CHRISSIE HOPE thank you sooo much, you are the winner you get a big gold star.
EL CID , we have tried what you said but its not the same or as efficient.

on my list so far is, large tin of tuna, salva colina for bad stomachs , caldo, frito, cologne and a large pack of very greasy crisps YUM

went to spanish supermarket in portabello road they wanted 5.50 for a plastic bottle of cologne
and 3.99 for a carton of caldo. :shock:
i did buy large tin of carbonel olive oil 19.00 cant stand the olive oils here.

proberly cheaper for me to come back to spain and live :lolno:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:59 pm

ladymuck wrote:CHRISSIE HOPE thank you sooo much, you are the winner you get a big gold star.
EL CID , we have tried what you said but its not the same or as efficient.
Hydrogen Peroxide, wherever you buy it is the same product.
Solpadeine which contains paracetamol and codeine, is also freely available in UK
Regards, Frank

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:49 pm

IDE be careful about how many of these tablets you take as seemingly you can get addicted. Even if I have a headache I try not to take any tablets and just have a lie down most of the time it works for me. :thumbup:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... sales.html
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:24 pm

Solpadeine contains Codeine which is considered by some to be a "recreational" drug. It's not so much that people get addicted to them it's more a case that they deliberately take them to get a high.

In some countries, including Greece, if you are found with a simple codeine containing drug in your possession (even if you have a prescription from your home country) you will be arrested and charged with drug offences!

Nurofen is covered in the article but that is not the standard Ibuprofen version but Nurofen Plus which also contains codeine.

Sid

ladymuck
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ladymuck » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:42 pm

the hydrogene peroxide dosent fizz, and i like the spanish pills, must be psychological :crazy:
I dont take them often but like to know they are there. :x

Salva colina is excellent for a dodgy tummy which is quite common living here in the uk. :(

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:42 pm

ladymuck wrote:

Salva colina is excellent for a dodgy tummy which is quite common living here in the uk. :(
It's Imodium!! Easily available in the UK.

Drug companies sell their products worldwide under different names.

If you think that Spanish drugs are any different to UK drugs you are kidding yourself.

They may be cheaper but that's another issue.

Sid

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:38 pm

I take at times AnalgiPlus which is the Spanish equivalent for Solpadeine.Recently I tried to buy more in the chemist but was refused...
When I visited my G.P.for a prescription I told her that I wasn't able to buy over the counter and she seemed to think I could..
The other day when I was in my local chemist I asked the pharmacist about this and she said that it is true that it isn't now allowed to sell this without prescription but that she would always let me have if needed.
So it does seem that you can buy some drugs if you are known!!!!!!!!!!