Dog microchip

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Julie
Andalucia Guru

Dog microchip

Postby Julie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:29 am

Hi
Can anyone tell me how much it costs for a microchip, neigbours dog has bitten someone and she has no papers as they call them, I presume this is the microchip papers, I think If she gets chipped it will be ok, fingers crossed.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dog microchip

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:38 am

I think they might need more than that.

Any dog that bites a human is automatically classed as a dangerous dog and has to be licenced and there are a whole string of restrictions such as they must not be allowed onto another property and they must be muzzled when off the property.

Has the person bitten made an official complaint?

Our vet charges €40 to chip and that includes the passport where the details are entered

Sid

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:59 am

It won't be ok because it will bite again. Might be you next time!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:13 am

Hi,
If it was a totally unprovoked bite then it would be best to have the dog put down.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:31 am

I have been to the vets its 35 euro here.

The police came and took the details as the man made a denucia, can't believe how quick the police arrive around here, only ever a few mins.

She is a little dog and does bark at strangers, but the man was kicking her and thats why she nipped him, also if the neigbours son had not of been there, I feel 99.9 % sure he would of hit Ana as well, he chucked some big pieces of slate at her,they just happened to be thereit really was o t t, but its the dog I am concerned about, she has been here since she came from the rescue centre 2 years ago with any great problems.

Do the police write to the owner now after the denucia now do you know ? The poli seemed to think it would be ok if she got the chip.

I don't want to sound like I am defending Chula, but she isn't a dangerous dog, she is great with the kids etc.

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:55 pm

whoa hang on a minute - people are being very point the finger here!!!

'the dog will bite again' - EVERY dog has the potential to bite - how do YOU know why the dog bit in the first place??? If someone threatened you, trod on you, hit you, caused you pain - wouldn't you react???

'if it was totally unprovoked have it put down' - this is a very hard thing to assess by a 'normal' owner. The majority of dogs (and I mean a large majority) will give warning signals before it has to bite and on top of this what you call unprovoked may not be how the dog sees it.

We do not know the background here at all so please do not judge this dog.

'papers' don't just mean microchip I'm afraid - usually papers mean the whole gubbins - vaccs, passport, chip etc & you are given a card to carry to show authorities if requested. If the police have already been called & attended, just going and getting this started to be sorted now is too late to avoid any action they may take. It SHOULD be done anyway so get it started but they are very big on dangerous dogs here (or at least the way they class them as such).

I really hope you get it sorted. If you need any help please PM me as we run a dog training and behaviour centre and can help with the problem. Don't despair xx

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:11 pm

It's illegal to own a dog that has not been microchipped.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi ,
Had Julie posted the full story to start with things would have been clearer.

Sounds like it was a provoked attack, why was the nasty man near the dog anyway, was it on private property. :?:
Its normal for all the village dogs to bark as you pass, you just ignore and get on with life.
My understanding too ,that all dogs have to be Micro chipped and have an annual Rabies in Spain.
So your friend has been a bit remiss on not getting the dogs "papers", which now consist of a Blue Pets Passport., the Green Comunidad Autónoma de Andalucia Cartilla Sanitaria being superseded.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:57 pm

If the man was provoking/attacking the dog surely a counter denuncia should be made against him, at least the police would investigate both sides of the incident.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Sorry I wasn't clear in the first post :oops: suppose I was worried, no excuse really, anyway the police rang her shortly after the incident and told her to go to the police station at 6pm so she is there now, I will post what happens after, the man kicked the dog because she barked at him, and stead of running away, it appears she nipped him, she only weights 3 kilos, she would be quick as lighting as small dogs can be, I just hope its not bad news for the dog, it sad really, I have spent years now trying to educate my neigbours about the dogs, and then this happens, :( I am sure if this had been a few years ago they would of just disowned her.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:30 pm

So, are we talking about an illegal, unchipped pet dog, being out in the street biting someone?
Or was the nasty man on your private property using the dog as a football?

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:03 pm

A counter denuncia should have been made straight away, & if not do one now. Hide the dog away at another friends is the best bet, then have him chipped & jabs. If it was my dog he'd kicked they'd have had to take him away in an ambulance. The sign on the gate says it all .
¡Los perros no son peligrosos pero el propietario es psicópata mentalmente desequilibrado!
Todos somos Lorca.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:31 pm

So, are we talking about an illegal, unchipped pet dog, being out in the street biting someone?
Or was the nasty man on your private property using the dog as a football?

As I said the dog isn't mine, it was outide the house, which is up a hill out of the way it is not in the middle of a town, so its unusal for someone who doesn't live here to come up, but it is still the street and
not her private property, and I didn't say he was a nasty man on private property using the dog as a football.
But thats beside the point and I am not here to score points, I was just asking if anyone had experienced anything similar.

My neigbours has come back from the police station, next step is to go infront of the Juez and also the other bloke has too, so we will have to wait to see what happens next.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi Julie,
I picked up the way the man (Spanish/GB :?: ) handled the situation, a nasty man in my book.
Just hope your friend put over her side of the incident and got a fair hearing.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:57 pm

He was a Spaniard, probably used to the dogs running away from him.

It sounds quite poitive at the moment, but it isn't down to the guardia seargent, so will have to see what happens at the hearing, I am going to take her for her chip on Monday, as Ana is at work, the guardia seargent thinks it could help at the hearing.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:22 pm

Julie,
You will have to give the vet your neighbors DNI number, telephone number & address so that the dog is properly registered to her.
Ann

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Sorry about my cynicism, but knowing the system, I think the only provable case will be Ana's ownership of an unchipped dog.
If a man is kicking a dog, he is using it as a football, isn't he? If he is kicking a dog he is probably a "nasty man"? However one witness versus another witness in Spain ends in a dismissal of the case, unless there is independent evidence.
Not scoring points, just summing up.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:34 pm

However one witness versus another witness in Spain ends in a dismissal of the case, unless there is independent evidence

I would hope that that is the case in any country.

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:00 pm

So if she only nipped him, I presume there´s little damage done? Seems odd that he's walking near the house and the dog attacks - I'm wondering if there's a long-standing grudge going on?

I hope these people don't allow the police to steam-roller them. They certainly need to get the dog chipped (although I'm willing to bet that almost none of their neighbours dogs are legal either) but cruelty to animals is unacceptable - if he kicked the dog, then it has every reason to defend itself.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:56 pm

TinaTapas wrote:So if she only nipped him, I presume there´s little damage done? Seems odd that he's walking near the house and the dog attacks - I'm wondering if there's a long-standing grudge going on?

I hope these people don't allow the police to steam-roller them. They certainly need to get the dog chipped (although I'm willing to bet that almost none of their neighbours dogs are legal either) but cruelty to animals is unacceptable - if he kicked the dog, then it has every reason to defend itself.

Perhaps it was the other way round.
Illegal dog barks at passer-by and bites him.
Passer-by kicks the dog off to protect himself.

Who knows? There are two sides to every story.