Can anyone identify this place

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

Can anyone identify this place

Postby Robano » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi Can anyone identify this village. The picture was taken in 1974 and the event was a late summer Feria. The village was probably within an hour of Malaga.

(I hope the link works OK - Link works now)

Thanks
Robano

http://www.robano-resources.com/Robano/ ... in1974.jpg
Now living, relaxing and passing the time Cornwall for a while - very often thinking of the Axarquia and its mountains.

Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Can anyone identify this place

Postby Robano » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:38 pm

Another picture which I think is the same village at the same time.

Any suggestions?

http://www.robano-resources.com/Robano/ ... 4spain.jpg
Now living, relaxing and passing the time Cornwall for a while - very often thinking of the Axarquia and its mountains.

Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Robano » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:53 pm

A bit of extra information. The village was on steep hills with no paving on the streets although it doesn't look like that from the picture. It was up in the hills not far from Malaga although I guess it might have been further than I thought - maybe the Alpujarras? My next stop was Granada so it is probably between Malaga and Granada.

The Feria must have been late August or Early September. The entertainment was not electric as far as I remember although that would probably be normal for 1973/74. The wine was not so good but cost 1 peseta a glass.

Any thoughts?

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:03 pm

I don't recognise it as any of the villages in High Alpujarra that I have visited although I have not explored all of all of them. The hills are too low for most of them I think. Not Cañar, Cadiar, Orgiva nor Soportujar, Not like Pampaneria either nor Yegen, Trevelez. Sorry not much help.

Just re read your post, High Alpujarras is about 2 hours from Malaga with new road.
Last edited by ValL on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:48 pm

May I ask why you are so interested in identifying this village? and where did the photo come from?

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:56 pm

It would seem to be somewhere he/she visited and now cannot put a name to it.. The photo is theirs I thought.

Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Robano » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi Gavilan

My first visit to Spain was in 1973/74 - not sure which. The south was very underdeveloped then. I have since grown to love the area and indeed lived in the Competa area for over 2 years.

I remembered this visit and the Fiesta as it seemed to be called then. When in the Axarquia I visited many of the villages but couldn't properly identify or remember the place. Recently I came across the pictures and felt sure that the forums would know the answer.

I am surprised it hasnt so maybe I have got something with my memory and it was in fact much further away. Anyway if I find it I shall visit it on my next trip and try to find where we stayed.

I seem to remember that you know the villages around Alcaucin so maybe you help. The scene could of course have changed enormously by now.

Thanks
Robano

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:09 pm

I visited nearly all the villages in the Axarquia when I was researching info for the book, but cannot remember any one of them looking like the fotos you posted. Sorry not to be of more help.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Ronda?

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:39 pm

If you google images of Ronda it looks a very likely possibility, there are lots on there and Ronda is in the right kind of area to fit your memory too

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPh ... ml#1296548

Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Robano » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Blimey

That would be a real surprise. I remember a village with a Parish Church. I dont know what the population of Ronda might have been at that time - I will try to find out.

Thanks for the thought. It certainly could have been in that area.

Anyone from that area?

Robano

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 pm

There are two statues above the entrance to the Church. Most churches only have one. I'm guessing the church could be san pedro and san pablo (st peter & St paul) ???? Maybe if you google this in the areas you may have visited you could find it. Good luck.

Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Robano » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks - I am trying this as I reply.

On Ronda - I think I could have forgotten where the place was but on ref;ection I couldn't have forgotten the gorge.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Think I may have it.....not st peter and paul but San Cosme y San Damian

POZA DE LA SAL, BURGOS – CASTILE & LEON COMMUNITY (bit more than an hour from Malaga :lol: )

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... 35&page=16

You have to scroll down quite a way though. Phew I can go to bed now !!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:11 am

well done costapacket! and I too can give up 'racking my brains'!
fascinating to see 'then and now' ... but as you say, a bit more than an hour from Malaga!

Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Robano » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:02 am

Oh - That is brilliant. Thanks costapacket. Apologies to anyone who has been confounded by this. We did go to that area amongst other later in the holiday so that would be why. The mystery still remains about where the Feria near Malaga was - it was obviously not the place from the picture. I will go back to my pictures.

Thanks very much
Robano

Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Robano » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:07 am

As a matter of interest costapacket - how did you do that. I searched on san pedro y san pablo but you did it with somehow without knowing the right name?

Robano

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:26 pm

Well I couldn't find anything matching you pictures with san pedro y san pablo so I got to wondering if there were any other saints that sort of go together. I did an image google search for 'san y san'. The first picture gave me the clue. Then I typed in iglesia de san cosme y san damien, scrolled down a bit and spotted the church....

The rest is history as they say :lol:

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:44 pm

When you go back, I hope she remembers you