Fox versus cat

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Fox versus cat

Postby gavilan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:13 pm

Just recently I saw a fox trotting along beside the stream here early one morning. I had thought foxes were nocturnal creatures. Then during the day it has appeared in the garden several times. It does not appear frightened of human beings nor does it appear interested in the cat food which is outside the house. But might it be interested in the cat as food?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Fox versus cat

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Quite possibly - I would try and get rid of the fox or keep the cat indoors.

Sid

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Sid: how do I get rid of the fox? what method/s do I use?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:20 pm

gavilan wrote:Sid: how do I get rid of the fox? what method/s do I use?
Firefox?
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Have a talk to your neighbours - maybe one has a gun. They probably know the best way to deal with it.

You could try a trap - some animal charities have them. We used one when a feral Tom was beating up our cats.

It may go away but just be careful to keep your cat in (not always easy) especially at night.

Sid

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:26 pm

Sid:I will ask my neighbours. Problem re keeping cat indoors, is that this fox is around during the day. She stays in at night already.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm

I can only speak of my experiences in the uk.
i lived in the sticks for 30 years (and I really mean the sticks!) and we had cats for all that time.
My cats used to chase the foxes off,it was really funny to see.
my view is that a fox will only attack an old sick cat that isn't capable of putting up a defence.
if a cat fights back with tooth and claw the fox will always run.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:55 pm

Gavilan,
It does rather sound as if your fox has been partly domesticated, probably been fed by a 'human', and I have come across many years ago a Spanish family who did feed and almost keep as pets two foxes.
I would be surprised if the fox will 'have a go' at your cat, but better to make sure that your cat is in your house at night.
I think your fox will probably go away when it's ready, so I wouldn't be too concerned..

Regards,
Gordon.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:05 pm

BENIDORM: I had wondered if this fox had known human company as it seemed so unconcerned at my presence in the garden and that it was around during the day. Are not most foxes nocturnal?

Nimrod: thanks for your comments. I may be worrying unnecessarily. The cat here is quite a feisty creature but small and this fox appears fit and obviously larger than she.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:17 pm

Gavilan,
For once,size doesn't matter!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Nimrod wrote:Gavilan,
If it was your cat, would you really want to take a chance on it?

I wouldn't.

Sid

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:25 pm

El Cid wrote:
Nimrod wrote:Gavilan,
If it was your cat, would you really want to take a chance on it?

I wouldn't.

Sid
I'm not telling anyone to chance anything,merely relaying my experience.
In future I won't bother.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:50 am

oh please dont fight about this ... I am interested and grateful for ALL contributions

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:18 am

Good Morning Gavilan...
Yes you are right about Mr.Fox being a 'night' animal, but if ,as I suspect he has had contact with humans then I think he is out and about during the day looking to be fed, but I would suggest that he will move on if he doesn't find a food source.
In the mean time I think that it would be a good idea to keep your cat in as much as possible....poor thing.. 'grounded' and he hasn't done anything wrong... :lol:

Regards,
Gordon....

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:39 am

Hi gavilan,
Apart from feeding your cat in the house so no food outside, I would just let the cat get on with it's life.
We have Foxes and stray dogs living in our area and our cat looks after herself no problem.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:44 am

Where we used to live in and around London we have always had urban foxes and I have occasionally seen them during the day. The ones I have seen during the day generally look as if they were "patrolling" their territory and leaving scent markings much as a dog would. One of my cats used to stand face to face with one of the local foxes, staring it out and I had another which was attacked on my doorstep by a fox but, she showed signs of hyper thyroidism shortly afterwards and we think that is why the fox targeted her. Foxes will generally go for kittens as they are easy and I would say that if it isn't interested in the cat food that is lying around then it's not out hunting, as they are opportunists who would rather a free meal than one they have to work for.
To be safe I would continue to keep your cat in at night but, cats are more agile than foxes and foxes are very wary of their sharp teeth and claws. An adult cat is generally too much of a 'hard work' meal.
These are my observations as a cat owner in an area populated by urban foxes and my opinion only (before I get jumped on!!).

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:57 am

I agree with Crazyred........purely depends on the type of cat you have and its upbringing. We had a scouse Tomcat thrust upon us a number of years back, with half an ear missing, 3 broken teeth and a bad attitude, it would use a fox as a punch bag if one dared step on or near its territory.

After he passed on and we decided we liked cats we got 2 more but to our cost pampered them.............you know, they come inside to use the bog,get fussy if the Whiskas Chicken and Tuna pouch is'nt at room temperature and sulk if you dare forget to renew their catnip toys every week :mrgreen: ..............the old Tom was not like that, he thought catnip was for poofs :mrgreen: .

Anyhow we had to keep these two in as a Blackbird once scared the little tabby cat off when it bared its beak :D .............so in all, it depends on the cat and you'll know its personality better than anyone to make the decision :thumbup:

Keep him in if in doubt.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks to all of you for such interesting and amusing responses.
The cat I have here arrived 'out of the blue' last January and is mostly Siamese ... which surprised me as I had only known campo cats before! She is about 18 months old, very affectionate and a good hunter. Not having had cats for many years, I had forgotten their desire to bring indoors all she catches! She came face to face with this fox yesterday: I was alerted by a sudden awful noise and found her with all her fur and tail standing up on end and the fox nearby. I have no idea whether there had been any sort of fight or just a stand-off. But it scared both me and her! Hence this post!

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:34 pm

I am overrun with foxes here in the U.k. and my very aggressive, large cat was attacked by a fox.
We didn't know until the bite on top of his head got infected and exploded with puss, he had to be rushed to the vets who confirmed the jaw size was a fox.
We often have foxes about during the day but they are usually infected with mange, not always visibly but it affects the brain and they become rather dopey and indifferent to humans.
I think the vet said they are looking for water as they become dehydrated.
I once came out to find one laying on the bonnet of my car and I could not get it off, try as I might.
It might not be around for long but I think I would get a gun, a neighbour might enjoy doing it for you.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:42 am

wendyakemp: the fox here cannot be thirsty as, when I first saw it, it was trotting along the bank of the stream here ... it crossed over the rocks to the far side, not stopping to drink a drop! And it looks very fit and healthy ... with a beautiful tail. I am not sure if I have the guts to get a gun and shoot it (would probably have to get a 'permiso de cazar' or whatever it is called, from the ayuntamiento before I could do so!) And a woman with a gun resonates with a macabre story about this mill in the 1940s: bandits attacked this place then, killing the owner. His wife grabbed a gun and shot one of the bandits, wounding him so badly his comrades had to put him out of his agony. Despite that setback, the bandits still managed to get away with 75,000 pesetas!

PS I haven't seen the fox since Friday and am crossing my fingers that s/he has found better hunting grounds!