Working after the age of 65..

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Working after the age of 65..

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Bongtrees wrote:I am sure I read somewhere that nobody pays SS or autonomos after the age of 65.
That's certainly the case in the UK and you can still carry on working.

It's probably an EU rule so the same probably applies in Spain.

Sid

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:01 pm

after age 65 but you pay some sort of voluntary tax, ...surely this can't be true ?..
It is called Income Tax in English :angel:
Ann

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:29 pm

I have no idea but I would think if you are autonomo you wouldn't get off that lightly. According to friends a marbella golf club was raided last year. Some British were working as Marshalls receiving benefits in kind but no actual cash. The authorities told them that the club and the marshalls would have to pay SS as if they were considered employees, some of these were pensioners.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks for that Sid...

Annfoto....I never paid tax in UK in a voluntary manner... :lol:

Katy,
I have a feeling that whatever I do I they will find a way of stinging me...but don't mind paying a reasonable amount though...

Regards,
Gordon..

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:50 pm

El Cid wrote:
Bongtrees wrote:I am sure I read somewhere that nobody pays SS or autonomos after the age of 65.
That's certainly the case in the UK and you can still carry on working.

It's probably an EU rule so the same probably applies in Spain.

Sid
Is that still the case ? Under the old system where women paid in for 39 years & men for 44 after this , if you were still working ,you paid no N.I. contributions. Now that it's equal & both have only to pay in for 30 years I thought I read somewhere that there was no cut off any more until you retired.
Todos somos Lorca.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:28 pm

gus-lopez wrote:

Is that still the case ? Under the old system where women paid in for 39 years & men for 44 after this , if you were still working ,you paid no N.I. contributions. Now that it's equal & both have only to pay in for 30 years I thought I read somewhere that there was no cut off any more until you retired.
That is still the current situation. You stop paying when you reach retirement age - not when you actually retire - a subtle difference!

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Regarding working beyond retirement age (UK currently 65) . Firstly I work with a 100 + people in a factory and as far as I can see there are various reasons why people want to work on. 1. Financial - in most cases they could survive quite easily but have a fear of receiving less income and not being able to manage despite, in many cases, having large savings accounts 2. They would miss the company of their fellow workers and in some cases dread spending more time with partners. 3. They would feel worthless and old by not bringing in cash and feel like they're getting money for nothing.

This is not conjecture as it is part of my job to talk to staff approaching retirement and in most cases after a chat I have been able to reassure them that there is life after retirement. However, if they are in good health and an excellent worker I have no problem with them staying on as indeed 2 have done and one is 70 next year and is probably better and faster than younger workers. BUT the removal of a standard retirement age will cause no end of problems as we will now have to discipline the older less fit worker who we would have put up with until 65 when he knew we could get rid of him on a retirement basis.

I think than anyone who believes you should keep working til you drop is a sad individual who obviously has no outside interests and if you don't need the cash and want a reason to get up in the morning, then do some voluntary work and let a younger person earn the money.

Also it's easy for people who sit in a climate controlled office to say I'll carry on until I'm 80 (Deo Volente) but it's not so good for a builder or a roofer etc.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Hello Fyfin,
Thank you for adding your interesting but rather strange views on working after age 65.

Personally I've never worked in an office or factory environment, so couldn't really comment on it, and although some people probably enjoy this type of work, I couldn't think of anything more boring.
I've led a very interesting, challenging lifestyle,and been fortunate that I've had continuous work, so never had to 'sign on', and for most of my working life I've been self-employed, so had to be self-motivated.
I've also for many years worked in the voluntary sector doing numeorus projects including working as a youth leader and also running handicraft classes for elderly people.
As I stated originally I believe that it should be my choice whether I stop work or continue as long as I want to, and I'm certainly not taking the jobs of young people, in fact I spend much of my time advising people starting in business and have done this for many years.
I work as an antiques dealer and this gives me the chance to continue to travel and mix with many extremely interesting characters ,and I have gained a good working knowledge of my business and I don't intend to stop doing something that both my wife and I really enjoy.
As for anyone who wants to continue working being sad and having no outside interests, well you really don't know what you are talking about...You do however seem very bored with your job, perhaps I could give you some tips on how to really enjoy yourself ... :lol:
Regards,
Gordon...

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:58 pm

Benidorm, you misunderstood me, I was not commenting on your posts. You have got it sorted as far as I can see but I was responding more in general to comments re retiring. I get to talk to lots of people in my job, Personnel Manager (only because no-one else does it - I'm actually in Finance) and they have lots of different ideas as they approach 65.
I actually have a very interesting job that I love and I am now at Director level. I get involved in all aspects of running the company but I decided to retire at 60 (was 60 in July) and am finishing at Christmas.

I am retiring because I believe we are entitled to some time to ourselves and not slaves to the alarm clock every morning. LIfe is a cycle - you go to school, you get a job, you retire. I want more time to spend with my wife and do things together, spend 3 months at a time in Spain. I will not be rich as I was not fortunate enough to have a final salary pension but made some adjustments e.g. down sized our property in 2007 when prices were high and I have done the sums and we will have adequate funds and income to live as we wish.

All of the reasons I gave earlier were actually given to me by people in the factory nearing retirement .
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:26 pm

Hello Fyfin,
Thank you for your response and I apologise if I misunderstood your post.

As I initiated the original post and I did state that that I was quite happy to continue working basically until 'I drop', it did rather seem that you were having a 'pop' at my ideals..
I have a rather different view to your ' life is a cycle' ..ie..school, job, retire, my idea was always to seek adventure, find out what was at the other side of the hill, and I suppose I've always been a 'bit of a rebel' so really have just taken on whatever challenge turned up, not in an irresponsible way I may add.!
Anyway as I previously stated I found your first posting very interesting.
I think that it is great that you are retiring to 'do your own thing' and be able to spend more time with your wife, I've been lucky ( some may think differently), but I have worked alongside my wife for over 40 years, as a team, and still continue to do so.
I wish you well with your plans...
Bonne Chance...
Regards,
Gordon.