Working after the age of 65..

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Working after the age of 65..

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:46 am

After reading the comments made by Katy on the posting about the death of the retired couple near Benidorm, I feel that I have to respond.
Katy mentioned that it was a shame that an elderly couple should have to be working whilst 'Living their dream in the Sun'.
Now I don't know the personal circumstances of the couple,or even if it is correct that they were running a business or were just holidaymakers , as most news reports suggest, but surely it's about choices.?
I know many retired people who continue to work well into their '70's, some maybe to subsidise their pensions , but most do it because they want to, giving them a purpose to get out of bed every morning and keeping their brains functioning.
And if you really want to see elderly people still working then take a close look at UK, you won't have to look far...Supermarkets,street markets,warehouses, factories, and go to any antique fair , fleamarket, auction etc and you will see just how many so called elderly people are still working.
My mother continued to work well into her late '70's, her choice, she didn't need to do it for money, just loved keeping active.
And me, well I'm thinking of going part-time when I reach age 89..... :lol:

Regards,
Gordon..the workaholic pensioner.. :wink:

Free at Last
Resident

Re: Working after the age of 65..

Postby Free at Last » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:13 am

I agree, Benidorm, it should be a matter of choice. Personally I was happy not to work after the age of 50, but many people feel differently.

When we first moved here, the OH and I took an intensive Spanish course at a local language school. The only other 'students' (seems odd to use that word about people our age!) were an elderly couple. He was 79 and still working very happily, self-employed, as a tax accountant and had no plans to give up.

I don't see why running a market stall should be seen differently, perhaps this couple weren't doing it primarily for the money (if the reports are correct and they were in fact doing so at all), but to get out and meet people. In any event, what happened to them was tragic.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:32 am

Bruce Forsyth and Brian Mathew are both 83 and working - although Brian Mathew wasn't on his usual Radio 2 slot this morning. And let's not forget the grandaddy of them all, David Attenborough whose new series starts this week and he's a sprightly 86.

Sid

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:22 am

I couldnt agree with you more. It is a matter of choice. I miss my job a lot and would love to have carried on working. I would certainly work if I was in the UK there is plenty about for the over sixties!!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:32 am

I am under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that you cannot have an earned income after reaching the current retirement age and drawing your Spanish pension. For example if you are an olive farmer then someone else declares the income for tax purposes from your olives e.g. your son. Is this an urban myth?

The situation of expats working after retirement age here in Spain will be much more blurred anyway. Declared/non declared income, paying social security contributions, not drawing a Spanish pension etc etc

olive

PS Bruce Forsyth. Time he retired , I cringe every time he opens his mouth. He isn't funny anymore.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:33 am

Well there is working and working isn't there. I was thinking of the physical side when I commented. on their feet all day, packing and unpacking stuff, cold morning etc. Appears that they were only on holiday so a bit of a hypothesis now. It is a matter of choice but in this case I assumed it to be money motivated. In such a wonderful place like Benidorm there must be lots of things to do than stood in a market :|

It's ok for older people to work if using their brain or combining it with an interest. My Grandfather used to pop into the office most days in his 80's. Someone we knew who had retired to Spain and had sold his company got bored, he set up another manufactoring a new kind of baby chair. He was in his 70's. Anything that keeps the brain active is good.

Celebs are different they are pampered every step they take.

Olive I dilslike Forsyth always have.

John & Kath
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby John & Kath » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:38 am

olive wrote:I am under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that you cannot have an earned income after reaching the current retirement age and drawing your Spanish pension. For example if you are an olive farmer then someone else declares the income for tax purposes from your olives e.g. your son. Is this an urban myth?

The situation of expats working after retirement age here in Spain will be much more blurred anyway. Declared/non declared income, paying social security contributions, not drawing a Spanish pension etc etc

olive

PS Bruce Forsyth. Time he retired , I cringe every time he opens his mouth. He isn't funny anymore.
Yes that appears to be the case.
COSTA ESURI RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION

http://costaesuriresidentsassociation.yolasite.com/

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:48 am

Bruce Forsyth....eugh!!! My father retired at 65, was bored, so went back to work 2 days a week. Unfortunately ill health forced him to give up work and he died at 69 years old. My brother died at 61, he never got to enjoy the last few years of his life, let alone retirement. I retired late 40's, hopefully I will not have to return to work. I know thought that if a want advice at a DIY store I would rather ask an older, experienced person, rather than the youngsters they seem to have here.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:50 am

Hello Olive,
I would be most surprised if someone cannot have an earned income after the age of retiring, certainly not what I've been told, obviously it means being in the system, paying Social Security and paying tax on your combined incomes.
As you rightly say the farming community seem to operate differently, but I'm sure that is only to avoid paying taxes etc, Cash is definitely King in Spain.

The one big problem is not being able to work part-time in Spain without having to pay almost full Soc.security etc., and that problem is of course for all ages, granted they have all sorts of schemes, but they really do make it difficult.
If someone really wants to work after retiring without hassle, I suppose the best road to take would be in the voluntary sector, no pay but great job satisfaction..
If people can work after retiring it must be better healthwise etc. and passing on their experiences to younger people I really think is great.
I know that many people are happy with being retired and have plenty to keep them occupied and that is also great, but there are plenty who slip into a rut , unfortunately.
Regards,
Gordon..

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Well my understanding, from my spanish neighbour , is that you can't work after retirment age. I also used to know a couple who ran a bar . The husband was 15 years older than the wife & could only remain working past 65 as it was in both their names but that only lasted until he was 70 when he had to be out of it completely.
Todos somos Lorca.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:01 pm

I work very hard, but I don't do it for money. I've not worked for money for 14 years now, don't intend to either.
Last time I saw my old mother in England, she asked me - "What do you do all day?" :evil:

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:04 pm

I do not have perticurarly strong views on this subject only to say that it may be better to leave the work to the younger people who need to fulfill their lives with a sense of worth by having employment and the dreaded money.
I think it a bit unfair that retired people and especially people who do not need the money be taking work from the younger generation.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:35 pm

Carrowcrin,
I respect your point of view, but don't agree with you.

I've been self-employed for many years and have created a good number of jobs for all ages of people,and it is my choice if I want to continue to work and if I create more wealth many people will benefit from it.
I've never been motivated by money, but love a challenge and will continue to work as long as I am able.
I have also done alot of voluntary work and will continue to do so, and I am also always happy to share my experience with anyone and have helped many people start up in business.

Regards,
Gordon..

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:17 pm

I meant to ask my in laws the rules on this. I tend to agree with Beni,How can you stop people working beyond the age of 65? In fact at the engineering company where I give classes,there are some who returned to work part time even though they had retired.
It might be that public workers can't work beyond this age

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:35 pm

I'm not good on rules and stuff like that but considering we can only expect the maximum life expectency is about 200 years.
I think it may be better for all of us to enjoy the first "100" because we will be in a better place for the second "100"

Hope this helps

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:52 am

My husband taught at university till he was 70! So it is possible in some places in Spain. Since retiring he has started studying another subject at university through the Aula Permanente de Formacióm Abierta. He won't get a degree,but he is very happy going to class every day and the students like to be in his practiacl group as they know he will produce a good work!
He only started teaching in Spain 18 before he retired so apart from anything else this also meant we were
entitled to a Spanish pension which has been a help.
He has a brother in the Guardia Civil who retired at 55, so suppose we are all different in what is best for us.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:44 am

I think people should be allowed to work for as long as they like but what I cannot understand is the forthcoming increases in the retirement age.

This will mean that the jobs of those people will not be freed up for those at the other end of the age scale. Surely it would be better to pay pensions at 65 than to have to pay unemployment benefit to youngsters who will be unable to find jobs because they are being occupied by people who are unable to retire.

Having said that, since when did logic play any part in the running of a country?
Let's go Brandon!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks Folks for all of your interesting input.. :thumbup:

But looks like I have two choices...

1....Book myself into the knackers yard.... :cry: :cry:
or
2....Say Nuts to the Government and just get on with it.... :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Gordon the Unwanted.... :(

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:57 pm

I am sure I read somewhere that nobody pays SS or autonomos after the age of 65.

By going on what i see in my locality, I dont think there are any restrictions to working after 65 or 70.

The local estate agent is 82, many private doctors look very old, other shopkeepers, builders merchants, accountants etc etc are well over 65.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi Bongtrees,
Someone did tell me ages ago that you don't pay Social Security after age 65 but you pay some sort of voluntary tax, :? ...surely this can't be true ?..But thanks for that info....

How brilliant if this isn't an urban myth, I've just rung up and cancelled my appointment at the knackers yard,... just in case... :lol:

I really must make an appointment with a Gestoria or similar and ask them to check out the facts correctly....
But in the meantime ...all info gratefully received...

Regards,
Gordon the Reprieved One... :wink: