when changing bank accounts (non- resident to resident)

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

when changing bank accounts (non- resident to resident)

Postby biribiri » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:13 am

We have recently registered on the foreigners list, and got our padron certificates. So now I realise that we have to change our non resident bank account for a resident one.
However before revealing this fact to our bank I am a little worried about having to change all the utility company direct debits etc.
Past experience has tought me that changing anything with Endesa eg can be a nightmare.

My question is has anyone done this with Banco Popular,(formally Banco Andalucia) and will we be able to keep our old account number?
If not I would rather open a new account with another bank, and hold on to our old non resident account for a while, until we see the bills being paid from the new one.

malagaman2005
Resident

Re: when changing bank accounts (non- resident to resident)

Postby malagaman2005 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:28 am

We are with Solbank and changed ours from non-resident to resident about 3 years ago. Nothing changed and the account stayed exactly the same albeit we were hoping to benefit from lower charges but nada.
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:30 am

The account number will stay the same except for the two digit DC (Digitos de Control) The bank will handle this automatically. Just check your account for the following couple of months to ensure your direct debits are being paid.
Let's go Brandon!

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks for your swift replies confirming that the account number will stay the same. :thumbup:

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Just an update on this, and a request for further help.
We went to our bank last week and asked to change our account. After taking photo copies of our passports & our new flimsy registration cards the nice lady told us she would ring me this week when she had converted our account.
She rang this morning and off we trotted to the bank, only to be told that we can't have a resident account without a "tarjeta de residencia" complete with photo!
I explained that we were no longer deemed worthy enough to be given a proper id card with our photo on it, and that the flimsy bit of green plastic had replaced it.
She was having none of it and flatly refused to convert our account. :x

Does anyone have a link to somewhere official stating this change from the old photo cards that I can print off and shove under her nose?
I have searched around but have had no luck.

ps.
It must be so much easier when you live in an area more used to dealing with us Brits.
One day when I've a couple of hours to spare I may share our saga of the weeks of frustration, wasted trips to Sevilla and the town hall. Before finally getting our registration certificates and registering on the padron. :crazy: :lolno:

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Ask to fill in the hoja de reclamaciones as they are talking out of their backsides.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:41 pm

You could try this:

Extranjeros

Failing that:

REAL DECRETO 240/2007
Let's go Brandon!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:24 pm

biribiri wrote:She rang this morning and off we trotted to the bank, only to be told that we can't have a resident account without a "tarjeta de residencia" complete with photo!
I explained that we were no longer deemed worthy enough to be given a proper id card with our photo on it, and that the flimsy bit of green plastic had replaced it.

a what ? i thought it was still the green piece of paper?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:44 pm

Beachcomber wrote:The account number will stay the same except for the two digit DC (Digitos de Control) The bank will handle this automatically. Just check your account for the following couple of months to ensure your direct debits are being paid.

Actually with "La Caixa" or Caixabank as it is now not only the control digits change but also the account number. Non-res. accts start with 20 & res. accts. with 01. It's not a problem as they do all the changing of acct. dd's , etc.
Todos somos Lorca.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Hi biribiri
Tell them you are going t change to a bank who understands the system.
If they don't change your account then change your bank.
Banks are, probably, interested in new customers and new money.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:12 am

Will be going for another go next week armed with a copy of the REAL DECRETO 240/2007 kindly provided by beachcomber.

Although it is very tempting I don't really want to change banks as I can forsee many problems in changing direct debits etc.

Watch this space.. :crazy: :wave:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:15 am

biribiri wrote: Although it is very tempting I don't really want to change banks as I can forsee many problems in changing direct debits etc.
Any bank who wants your business will set up/ change all the direct debits etc. for you.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:41 am

spanish_lad wrote: a what ? i thought it was still the green piece of paper?
They are starting to issue them as smaller plastic cards. I haven't seen one yet so I don't know the size.

Apart from that they are just as useless as the paper ones.

Sid

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Not completely useless - you need it to open a resident's bank account.
I had to get one when I tried to open a new account with Santander, they wouldn't accept my out of date residencia card :thumbdown:
If you don't get any joy out of them next time I would register a complaint just to cover yourself.

Years ago I opened a resident's account with Solbank but kept my non-resident's one with Banesto that the estate agent opened for me. I thought it would be useful to pay direct debits from it but not keep too much cash in it. The account was with the Fuengirola branch but I never went there, depositing cash into it every month in Coín.
One day I tried to deposit €300 into it, the normally friendly cashier threw the money back at me and marched me to a desk where I had to wait whilst he called the police. My Spanish wasn't very good at that time but managed to find a chica in the bank whom I could communicate in Spanglish with.
Thankfully we managed to avoid the police by me agreeing to go to Fuengirola first thing in the morning and closing that account and me opening a new account in Coín there and then.
The scariest moment with Spanish bureaucracy in almost 10 years but I didn't know any better, it was several years later that the internet reached the campo where I live.
Ann

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:13 pm

I know I should know the answer to this, but can't think. What is the main difference / advantage to the resident account over non-resident?

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:54 pm

What is the main difference / advantage to the resident account over non-resident?
If you have the correct account you don't get arrested. :lolno:
Tax on interest is paid net on a resident's account but gross on a non-resident's, you have to pay a fee every two years to declare that you are non-resident if you have a non-resident's account.
Ann

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:22 pm

El Cid wrote:
spanish_lad wrote: a what ? i thought it was still the green piece of paper?
They are starting to issue them as smaller plastic cards. I haven't seen one yet so I don't know the size.

Sid
Credit Card size.

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi all,

I hope the original poster does not mind me cutting in on this.
I was over last week and the nice lady at the bank suggested i should have a non resident account and that i would have less charges.
She said i needed to get a letter from the police stating this and i am wondering if it is worth the bother. I have not decided what my long term plans are and wonder if i make this declaration will it be recorded in both countries.
I have a friend who declared residend and he is now sorry and i do not want to do something that may be bother to undo.

Many thanks

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:03 pm

I am no expert but would suggest that you ask yourself a few questions:
Where do I normally live?
Which country do I normally declare my annual tax return? (whether I have earned any money or not)
If the answer to both of these is Spain then I would not opt for a non-resident's account.
The only money you could be saving as far as I know is the 18% withholding tax on interest which you would normally claim back through your tax return if you had sufficient allowances left.
I have not decided what my long term plans are and wonder if i make this declaration will it be recorded in both countries.
Yes it will be, but you can change your mind and country of residence at a drop of a hat.
Ann

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:15 pm

El Cid wrote:
spanish_lad wrote:

Sid
Pleased to see that you are coming round to my way of thinking, Sid! :thumbup: