Heating your house !!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Heating your house !!

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:26 pm

Sounds a bit like it refers to a central system for multiple properties such as in an apartment block as it states that each property must have its own meter, rather than what we think of as a central heating system in a house.

Genie
Tourist

Postby Genie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:29 pm

Regarding heating the house. I just arrived from Ireland where we were the warmest we have ever been using oil fired radiators. Ok, I spent an awful lot on oil top ups, but I was lovely and warm!

Does anyone use this system here and would an oil tanker deliver on a regular basis?

Yes, it cost a lot to install but cannot be beaten.

PuffTheMagicDragon
Tourist

Postby PuffTheMagicDragon » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:38 pm

Genie, we have oil CH, I just keep an eye on our 1000ltr tank, and when it gets down to about 200ltrs, I phone my supplier and he's usually here the next day.

Puff

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:27 am

I expect you're feeling cold indoors Genie? My OH has just returned from over 2 weeks in a cosy centrally heated house in England and felt freezing once back here. Our electric blankets will be going on the beds soon! Hope you get something sorted out, it's due to get colder in the coming week.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:39 am

Wicksey wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:27 am Our electric blankets will be going on the beds soon!
I thought they were an 'old person thing'... until I got one. Best thing I ever did!! Sooo cosy !

Ours has been on for weeks - it was only 4 degrees when we left for work this morning :shock:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:48 am

We were the same SL, but now it's so nice to get into a pre-heated bed on a chilly evening :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:59 am

We have an electric duvet. Basically, it is an overblanket built into a duvet. Stays on all night.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:37 pm

spanish_lad wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:48 pm We paid 50 euro per white sack last year, and 300 for a trailer. It lasted the season. Our fire is inside an old chimney.

Beware, its messy and logs can be heavy.
As a side note, my inlaws in torrox costa have an insert in a chimney (a built in box with a rectangular glass door, about 50cm wide by 30 high. Massive heavy cast iron thing, with lots of plates and panels and diffusers inside it. TWO big logs last them all evening, where as I might put 10 in my old cast iron box.. alot of my heat (and money :( ) is going straight up the chimney.

moral of the story is.. if its going inside a chimney get a new one, spend a few hundred on it and dont get a cheap second hand one like me.

unless your black stove pipe is exposed then it will work wonderful because the stove pipe will heat the room too.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:20 pm

im just looking at an email from bauhaus and it shows me the new "bargins" leaflet.

they have a pellet burner in there for €569. but its only 7kw of heat. bear in mind that you can use 2 of their 69 gas bottle heaters and it´ll be hotter.

i dont know honestly if pellets or gas would be cheaper ? whats the run time for a gas heater on 3 bars? at €17 ish a bottle im not sure. the sacks of pellets are what, €4 for 3 days worth ?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:51 am

There are models available with higher heat outputs. Some have a back boiler that can run radiators for a central heating system.
They all can be programmed to run at specified times of day and/or come when the temperature drops below the preset limit.
OK, they cost more to buy than portable gas heaters but you are likely to be in your new house for many years.
Also how much longer will gas be available with the reduction in the use of fossil fuels?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:26 am

Also we found that gas heaters used to give us a headache and can cause condensation. We ditched all the gas heaters a few years back for log burner, but now we have aircon which is best of all. We rarely use the log fire unless there's a run of cold wet weather for a few days. Bought a Cepsa gas bottle the other day and it was 20.60€!