Heating your house !!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Re: Heating your house !!

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:46 pm

We paid 130€ for our load of wood for a large trailer load for the past 2 years. Each load lasted us all winter. We have a corner log burner, it keeps the house nice and warm. Our neighbours changed their log burner to an open fire, their house stays cold and they went through 2 1/2 loads of wood to our one! We still have a small amount of wood left from kast year too :thumbup:
The other Spanish neighbours have an electric under table heater, scorched shins and freezing upper body! The cosy tablecloth is nice though :lolno:

Drfernandez18
Tourist

Postby Drfernandez18 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:43 pm

Good evening to you all,

Many thanks for all your replys to my query re heating my house !!!

I do indeed have many factors to consider, and I will inform you of my decision just incase it may
benefit others !

I have to return to the UK for a few weeks, and have arranged for a local builder to give me a quote
for a wood burning stove, to enable me to make an informed decision. This will not happen until I return to Spain.

I thank you all for taking the time to reply and I will be in touch as soon as I can contribute more. I really appreciate your input !

Kind regards,
Dr Fern :thumbup:

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi,

I am actually in Spain at the moment, i will check for the receipt for Antequera and post tomorrow.
I bought the stove after Christmas an got it for a good price, it has a 12kw output and seems to be of a very good quality, it also does not take up much room.

Talk tomorrow

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Of course the other alternative for cheap wood is to buy yourself a chain saw and scour the neighbourhood for fallen trees. My neighbour has lived in La Cala for 15 years and never paid for wood. After 6 years I too am now self sufficient in wood.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Genie
Tourist

Postby Genie » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:37 pm

I have read these posts with interest. I am due to move into my house in Vinuela in the next couple of months and am getting quite obsessed with the heating debate, having previously had superb oil fired central heating in Ireland and I wondered if anyone there uses this method?
The house I am buying is fairly large - 3 beds/3 baths, but single storey, so am thinking a wood burner in the lounge would not help the bedrooms at the other end. I have heard electricity is expensive so maybe fan heaters on the walls would be costly to run - does anyone have any suggestions please for a large bungalow - it does have an open fire in the lounge but I just cannot stand the smoke/smell. Many thanks for any ideas.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:46 pm

By open fire I presume it's not an enclosed woodburner? I would never have an open fire as they cannot build chimneys properly here and they are so inefficient, but we've always had woodburners that give out a good heat. You still have to contend with getting wood and the cleaning of it though, plus ours makes our house even dustier than usual when it's in use. You can get woodburners that are ducted to other rooms with a fan but we have had that here and I can't say it was very good at heating a cold bedroom.

We now have aircon units that are very efficient as heaters. Also useful for cooling in summer of course! They are cheaper than electric oil filled radiators to run and quickly heat up a room. I would invest in some good thermal socks and jumpers though, as we tend to wear several layers in our house in the winter and we are nearer the sea than you will be. I find centrally heated houses suffocating when I go to England so I guess I have got used to living in a colder house over the years.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:58 pm

Several friends rave about their pellet burners.

Johnandali
Tourist

Postby Johnandali » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:48 am

Genie wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:37 pm I have read these posts with interest. I am due to move into my house in Vinuela in the next couple of months and am getting quite obsessed with the heating debate, having previously had superb oil fired central heating in Ireland and I wondered if anyone there uses this method?
The house I am buying is fairly large - 3 beds/3 baths, but single storey, so am thinking a wood burner in the lounge would not help the bedrooms at the other end. I have heard electricity is expensive so maybe fan heaters on the walls would be costly to run - does anyone have any suggestions please for a large bungalow - it does have an open fire in the lounge but I just cannot stand the smoke/smell. Many thanks for any ideas.

Pellet burners are superb. Installed one last year heats the whole house - open plan lounge, kitchen and dining room plus 2 bedrooms and bathroom. We simply leave all internal doors open and pellet burner with built in fan blows hot air heating house.

Easy to control and very cost effective.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:38 am

Hi Johnanddali,

"Pellet burners are superb."..........make and model could be of interest to Genie.

The live demo ones I've seen..... not impressed.

Depending on location.........deep in olive country wood and Huesos (By-product of Olive oil processing) are easy to come by and cheap.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Johnandali
Tourist

Postby Johnandali » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:28 am

We have the Edilkamin EVO - can burn Huesos as well as pellets although we have only used pellets. Burner was not cheap but I certainly think it was worth expense.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:23 pm

on the subject of heating ...?is anyone using a solar system? ... I recently had a guy come here to give cost estimates ... am using oil at present and would really like to be independent of that ... but he said solar would not heat radiators in winter ... so would still need oil ... on reflection I find this odd as only have 2 large-ish radiators and a small one in bathroom ... only on for 2 hours in morning and 4 in evening ... am hardly in house during daytime ... I would be very interested to hear of other's experience of solar heating ...

PuffTheMagicDragon
Tourist

Postby PuffTheMagicDragon » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:12 pm

We have oil central heating, it’s quite a big house with fifteen radiators, we also have a woodburner, which looks after the heat in our main living areas, the C/H keep the rest of the house nicely aired.
Yes there is more dust with a woodburner, but it’s not a real problem cleaning regularly, as for the wood, I get it cheap from a local farmer, it isn’t cut to size which gives me something to do daily, I love my chainsaw and splitting logs, keeps me out of my wife’s’ way :thumbup:

Puff

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:01 pm

I buy olive wood from Velez which is between my location and where Genie will be. They do deliver and have nice sized pieces as I wouldn't like to have to cut it regularly as it's so hard. We used to blunt our chain saw on oak logs that all needed cutting down to size in France and it was not a job my OH enjoyed doing. I've had friends with pellet stoves who thought they were wonderful and so much easier to manage than a woodburner.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:02 pm

If anybody wants information regarding pellet burning stoves then I posted this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31095#p297488 in 2013.
Still hold the samr opinion.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:48 pm

We paid 50 euro per white sack last year, and 300 for a trailer. It lasted the season. Our fire is inside an old chimney.

Beware, its messy and logs can be heavy.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Genie
Tourist

Postby Genie » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:09 pm

Many thanks everyone - pellet burner it will be

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:46 pm

Does no one have an oil boiler? or is oil heating difficult is Spain? Are domestic oil fuel deliveries far and few between.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:58 am

A massive house that I worked on in marbella had oil heating, they used to get 3000L of heating oil delivered each time to one of those big blue containers that was stored outside.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:41 am

Quite a few of our neighbours in Marbella had underground storage tanks.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:24 pm

Here is a link to rather a strange item about central heating systems in Spanish Homes will have to be changed.
Doesn't seem to say in what way they will need changing.
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/11/ ... atest-news
Gerry Harris